Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

CHAMPIONS SIGN UP VICKERY

Rhinos media release

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Leeds Rhinos have announced that they have signed trialist Joe Vickery, 23, on a one year contract.

The Australian joined the Rhinos back in November from NRL side Gold Coast Titans, initially on a three month trial, but after impressing the Leeds coaching staff he has earned a full time deal with the Champions and will be given the 25 squad number for the 2013 season.

The former St George junior, who can play on the wing or at centre, made his first appearance for Leeds in the Heatshot Festive Challenge against Wakefield and made an instant impact by scoring two tries in the victory.

Prior to his move to the UK he spent two seasons with Gold Coast but did not make his first team debut despite impressive appearances for feeder club, Tweed Heads, where he scored 17 tries last season.

Speaking about his new contract Vickery said, “It was my ambition to earn a contract with the club when I came over here and I backed myself to do that so I am delighted to have signed for the season. It was a gamble to move here on a trial and away from everything I knew in Australia but the hard work has been worth it and I am pleased with my decision.

“I really enjoyed my first run out against Wakefield and the crowd and atmosphere at the Stadium was fantastic. I know there is still a lot of work to do and I want to prove I can step up and play in the Super League and I am really looking forward to getting out there again and the start of the season.”

Commenting on Vickery’s signing Leeds Rhinos coach Brian McDermott said, “We are really pleased to have secured a permanent deal with Joe and he fully deserves this contract. He has trained well and done everything asked of him. He has been very professional since he joined and we were impressed with how he went against Wakefield on Boxing Day and he made a good start to his Leeds career with two tries.”

Phil Daly
Media & Communications Manager
Leeds Rhinos

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

So they're using that "Champions" word again.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

If you want them to stop using it, ask Hull to win something
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

If you want them to stop using it, ask Hull to win something

It was a Leeds fan on here who said they won't use the word because the season is now over.

Anyway, Hull might win summat if they play Leeds in the Challenge Cup final, they usually do.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#5 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Am I right in thinking Vickery has English parents or grandparents? Be interesting to see how he goes.

#6 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

It was a Leeds fan on here who said they won't use the word because the season is now over.

Anyway, Hull might win summat if they play Leeds in the Challenge Cup final, they usually do.

Not at Wembley they wont.Hull dont usually win at Wembley, according to Rovers fans
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#7 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

Am I right in thinking Vickery has English parents or grandparents? Be interesting to see how he goes.

Yeah I think so, seem to remember reading that at some point!

He went quite well on boxing day, he started on the wing and scored two, the first was a case of falling on the ball from a good Danny McGuire grubber, the second needing good footwork to score in the corner.

He actually played better imo when he was switched to full back, chimed in the line really well and made a couple of good breaks. He didnt look particularly fast but seemed like more of an elusive runner!

#8 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Not at Wembley they wont.Hull dont usually win at Wembley, according to Rovers fans

And according to a certain Hull fan on the "League Table' thread.

#9 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

That Leeds fan was me.

And to be fair, this is something Sinfield said at the end of 2011/start of 2012 about that season, and was probably only referring to the team/coach etc, not PR
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#10 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Consistency and rugby go together like hat stands and jam jars.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#11 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Just shows too many overseas players...position should go to a local player

#12 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Bearing in mind he has been signed as a back up player initially, and will be kept out the first team squad by "local" players, I dont really understand your point.

#13 Mrbus

Mrbus
  • Coach
  • 788 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

vickery was born in exeter, granted not local but still the uk

#14 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

he is just about as local as the players wigan have signed from wales at least he is english
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#15 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

Not a dig at Leeds who do really well producing their own players, feel just too many overseas players in general. At least the Welsh lads are true home grown products.

#16 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Not a dig at Leeds who do really well producing their own players, feel just too many overseas players in general. At least the Welsh lads are true home grown products.

I think that's abit harsh on them.

They could field a team of:

Hardaker
Hall
Ablett
Watkins
BJB
Sinfield
Mcguire
Peacock
Burrow
Griffin
JJB
Clarkson
Bailey

Ward
Moore
Singleton
Ian Kirke

How many teams can field a full british side as strong as that. Wire with and all english side would get mullered whilst Wigan and Saints maybe close.

#17 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

I think that's abit harsh on them.

They could field a team of:

Hardaker
Hall
Ablett
Watkins
BJB
Sinfield
Mcguire
Peacock
Burrow
Griffin
JJB
Clarkson
Bailey

Ward
Moore
Singleton
Ian Kirke

How many teams can field a full british side as strong as that. Wire with and all english side would get mullered whilst Wigan and Saints maybe close.

Wire side:

Ratchford
Williams
Bridge
Atkins
Riley
Briers
Myler
Carvell
Higham
Morley
Westwood
Harrison
Grix

Cooper
Hill
O'Brien
Currie

That is a very strong side.
We no longer have a massive reliance on overseas players.

Edited by Dave T, 29 December 2012 - 11:09 AM.

#18 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,351 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Wire side:

Ratchford
Williams
Bridge
Atkins
Riley
Briers
Myler
Carvell
Higham
Morley
Westwood
Harrison
Grix

Cooper
Hill
O'Brien
Currie

That is a very strong side.
We no longer have a massive reliance on overseas players.

The club have been very smart on this issue, and smart on junior development locally and looking further afield.

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

The club have been very smart on this issue, and smart on junior development locally and looking further afield.

Yep - I actually missed off Paul Wood too. Something like 14/15 of the 17 have played rep football at some stage.

#20 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Problem with wires is few of their players have come through their juniors...how many of those listed at WA born ?