Salford RLFC - Failing Business

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 618 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Interesting post below lifted from the "Salford Star". Is Mr Donegan really a local Labour Party official? Anyhow he has some interesting views on the Reds' plight (he was writing in reponse to a post by a Salford fan).

"I find your comments quite pathetic. Nobody is obliged to support any form of sports club and given that you suggest people have been offered free tickets and still not attended games i can only see this as an indication that they are really not interested. Salford people are not fickle as you rudely insult them to be , they are as intelligent as any other citizen and quite capable of deciding if they do or do not want to support a rugby club. In my opinion the council should make every effort to consider this lack of interest from the majority of salford residents and scrap any thought of investing more money into this failing business. Mike Donigan, Secretary, Eccles Labour".

#2 parky

parky
  • Coach
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

Look the pinks we not go out of business. On GMR last week Maurice Watkins from the RFL said the RFL would not stand aside and let them go under. He was until fairly recently a director at Man Utd and a Solicitor by profession. I am sick and tired of reading a full page about this every day in the salford evening news.

#3 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

A big hole in Mr Donigan's argument is the fact Salford City Council under the power of his political party are seriously implicated in the mess that is Salford City Stadium, I.e. the main reason why Salford Reds is now an unviable business.

There are other ways in which Salford Reds has become overly politicised, as Messrs Merry and Wilkinson worked to a common agenda for years (starting the day Salford RLFC became "Salford City Reds" and had "Pride of the City" inserted into their badge).

So it could be said a massive part of the failed vision is of the Council's own design.

Edited by PhillH, 29 December 2012 - 10:33 AM.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users