Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shoulder Charges

Not banned

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

On the Offical Site it says that the Law Committee has decided not to ban shoulder charges. I think that is right. A correctly done shoulder charge is quite effective but of course fouls should be penalised or result in a sending off. In my time I remember Eric Batten using the shoulder charge very effectively. He threw himself through the air and alway connected shoulder to shoulder. The result was that the player crumbled and a pass could not be made. Done legitimately there is nothing wrong with it. What do you think?

#2 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

When you refer to fouls Colin I assume you mean shoulder charges directed to an opponents head, which of course should be banned. When I played in the 60's and 70's I often used the hand-off, planted on the would-be tackler's forehead to push them away. But looking back I realse it could have been dangerous, especially to the kneck area. It was also easy to disguise a punch to the nose with the lower palm area that connects to the wrist, as used by the fictional Frank Machin in David Storey's "This Sporting Life". So it was right to ban the hand-off to the head, and so it should be with the shoulder charge.

Edited by Steve Slater, 29 December 2012 - 10:18 AM.

#3 Ashcroft

Ashcroft
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Tough call. In the speed of today's game, how can the officials be expected to tell the difference between a mis-timed shouder charge and a deliberate attack to the head. The Rangi Chase/Tangi Ropati incident is a perfect example. Even in slow motion video you can't tell. So I think we should go with Australia and ban.

#4 Aberdeen Angus

Aberdeen Angus
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

When you refer to fouls Colin I assume you mean shoulder charges directed to an opponents head, which of course should be banned. When I played in the 60's and 70's I often used the hand-off, planted on the would-be tackler's forehead to push them away. But looking back I realse it could have been dangerous, especially to the kneck area. It was also easy to disguise a punch to the nose with the lower palm area that connects to the wrist, as used by the fictional Frank Machin in David Storey's "This Sporting Life". So it was right to ban the hand-off to the head, and so it should be with the shoulder charge.

Steve, you refer to the hand-off to the head being banned. Do you have a link to a site or set of laws that explicitly state this is the case? I think that hand-off should not be higher than shoulder level but cannot find reference to it except on your post.

#5 Aberdeen Angus

Aberdeen Angus
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

I see in this topic reference to the hand-off to the head being banned. Does anyone have a link to a site or set of laws that explicitly state the hand-off to the head has been banned? I think that hand-off should not be higher than shoulder level but cannot find reference to it except in this topic.

#6 Cantona

Cantona
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

Shoulder charges for me are rightly outlawed ( though a few went unpunished in the HKR v Saints telly match ) it was getting silly with 3rd rate props flying in every other tackle with mis-timed late assaults on the half backs .

A well timed shoulder charge looks spectacular but when it goes wrong sooner or later someone's going to get seriously hurt , it was getting more akin to American Football but without the helmets and padding with pumped up talentless tubby's using it as a means of attacking the ball carrier , so for me it's bend your back and let's return to good old fashioned tackling that's served us well for over a century .

Be gone shoulder charge in to room 101 and back into history's infimity ..

Never heard of the hand off banishment though .

#7 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

Steve, you refer to the hand-off to the head being banned. Do you have a link to a site or set of laws that explicitly state this is the case? I think that hand-off should not be higher than shoulder level but cannot find reference to it except on your post.

No I don't have a link to a site, you are probably better off talking to a referee. It might not be written in the rules, but tied in with general contact to the head, and introduced as a code of practice by one of the controllers of referees some time in the past? 

#8 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

If someone comes in low for a tackle where else can you hand him off but the top of his head. If we carry on like this it will be touch and pass.

#9 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Nowt wrong with a LEGAL shoulder charge. The problem being when you get individuals (no names, no pack drill) who allow the forearm to become involved, resulting in a forearm smash to the head.  

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

Nowt wrong with a LEGAL shoulder charge. The problem being when you get individuals (no names, no pack drill) who allow the forearm to become involved, resulting in a forearm smash to the head.  

Absolutely right.  It's the point of contact that's the issue.  You shouldn't be shoulder charging folks's heads.

Edited by Griff, 27 April 2013 - 05:59 PM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#11 Aberdeen Angus

Aberdeen Angus
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

I have just spoken to Bob Smithies - Match Officials Appointment Officer for the Community Game at the RFL and he was quite clear. "Any contact with the head or neck is foul play resulting in a penalty for the non-offending team". So any hand-off must be no higher than the line of the shoulders. I specifically asked about the hand-off and Bob's guidance was quite clear.

#12 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

My butcher charged me £7.30 for a shoulder of Pork.

#13 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

My butcher charged me £7.30 for a shoulder of Pork.

you've got a butcher have you Andrew., how the other half live lol

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users