Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Paul Sculthorpe MBE

rfl MEDIA RELEASE

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

See here

#2 Mrbus

Mrbus
  • Coach
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

See here

all that list does it sum up how pointless those honours are

#3 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,949 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

Nobody can complain about that, great player and great ambassador. his charity work is up there.

Congratulations Paul.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,949 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

Nobody can complain about that, great player and great ambassador. his charity work is up there.

Congratulations Paul.

Oh somebody did complain at the exact time I said nobody could complain.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 Mrbus

Mrbus
  • Coach
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

Oh somebody did complain at the exact time I said nobody could complain.

i have no issue with sully getting one, he played 12 year of top level rugby, played for his country 30 times, won plenty of medals & man of steel a couple times, etc and has done plenty after he retired.

i do have have an issue with someone like jade jones getting an mbe for basically winning a few comps in a sport (with low participation numbers, which is further lowered by have separate weight categories & that only a hand full of supporters follow) where she's only competed for like 18 months. (just one of the many examples of the olympians who don't deserve to be honoured imo)

Edited by Mrbus, 29 December 2012 - 01:18 AM.

#6 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

all that list does it sum up how pointless those honours are

Yet again we get an honour in our game and it is met by a negative reply from the so called fans.....and you wonder why I keep of these so called "Fans forums"..FFS is nothing good news in the game !!!!

#7 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

Scully as a player was wonderful and he continues to promote the game in a positive light.
Charity work has been amazing

Well done to the scully family.

#8 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

Well done Scully from Oldham Juniors/School Boy Rugby to pro/international player brilliant career and alround good bloke.
congrats.

#9 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Congratulations to Scully on being recognised for his services to the sport and for his charity work. It's a good news story for the sport irrespective of my personal distaste for the elitist imperialism and outdated notions of class that the honours system represent.

Edited by giwildgo, 29 December 2012 - 09:13 AM.

#10 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

Congratulations Paul Sculthorpe MBE.

There is no downside to this news, none whatsoever.

#11 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

The RFL has sent its congratulations to Paul Sculthorpe after the former St Helens and Great Britain captain was awarded an MBE in the New Year’s Honours list.

The 35-year-old has received his MBE in recognition of his achievements as a Rugby League player and his unstinting charitable work.

RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood said: “On behalf of the whole Rugby League family, I would like to congratulate Paul on this richly-deserved accolade.

“Throughout his career with Warrington, St Helens, England and Great Britain, Paul was the consummate professional and a role model who helped inspire thousands of youngsters to play Rugby League.

“He has continued to be an outstanding ambassador for the sport through his development work in the North West and his work with UK Anti-Doping in their 100%ME campaign.

“In recent years Paul has helped raise tens of thousands of pounds for charities including the Rugby League Benevolent Fund through his involvement with the Steve Prescott Foundation.

“I am delighted that Paul’s efforts, his achievements and the values which he represents have been recognised in this way.”

John Ledger
Communications Manager

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,067 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Congratulations Paul Sculthorpe MBE.

There is no downside to this news, none whatsoever.

Yep, so long as you believe in the validity of the British honours system, that is!
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,863 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Bloke on doorstep: Congratulations! You've won £40 million on the lottery!
Rugby League fan: Oh bloody hell - that'll alienate me from my old friends, bring in the spongers and lead to a life of conspicuous overconsumption and liver damage from all this champagne, etc. etc.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Congratulations to Sculthorpe - hugely deserved recognition.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#15 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

Truly deserved,well done.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#16 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,664 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Many congrats to Scully, well deserved.

Unfortunately, they seem to give them to any young upstart as well these days.

(Expect my sig to be changed very soon...)

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#17 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

I see what they're doing, they're waiting until after Sinfield leads us to a win at the World Cup Final before he gets his. Very clever.

On a serious point though, well done to Scully

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#18 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Well done Scully - richly deserved

#19 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,370 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

Top bloke, Top player and somebody who puts himself out always to help others. Somebody you would be proud to call a friend. Whether you agree with the awards or not, Scully deserves some recognition for what he has done in the game alone. The honours list is a joke for me as some people dont deserve to be on there, its just who they know. But for people like Scully, Wiggins etc the public recognition of what they have done in both their sports and charity, is finally recognized by a wider public. Scully put his body each week on the line which the injuries finally forcing him to quit. But he was the best British player for a number of seasons and was a top ambassador for Rugby League. Then his charity work with Jumpin Jack etc and his work in developing the game to a younger audience and his humble attitude. I cant think of a more fitting person to be honoured in or out of our game. People who put this award down sadly dont see the work people like Scully and Bradley Wiggins put in both in Sport and Charity.Ignore the honours themselves but be proud of Scully and co who have done much to deserve the awards they will receive.

#20 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

Well done Paul Sculthorpe, congrats on a very deserved award.

And as usual, all news is bad news for a lot here, must be a NH thing to whinge and whine about everything, follow another sport ffs because I'm sick of reading all the posts whinging and whinning about everything to do with the game.

What in the world did RL ever do to make so many people feel down?

Nothing, that's what, it's just in your whinging whinning blood.

It's nearly 2013, get out of the dark ages at last please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users