RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Stand-offs and quick players

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

Remember though GOR that TG is really a loose forward, though signed on to us as a utility forward, but is brilliant at stand off, although most loose forwards can play at stand off

Not saying we haven't had any decent stand offs kelsey - the Agars were both OK, Nigel Stevenson did it to some effect and Johnny wolford was no mug (although laterly a loose forward), but we've never had a Hardisty, Shoebottom, myler or Topliss, who all took some catching.

#2 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

Not saying we haven't had any decent stand offs kelsey - the Agars were both OK, Nigel Stevenson did it to some effect and Johnny wolford was no mug (although laterly a loose forward), but we've never had a Hardisty, Shoebottom, myler or Topliss, who all took some catching.

Surely you must have had some pacey stand offs in the half century that you have been watching them, although you have listed some skillful but pedestrian 6s. Bernard Watson had reasonable pace in his prime. Had he lost it by time that he came to Dewsbury? Weren't Vasey and Lingard fairly sharp?

#3 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Les Holliday was ok at Loose-Forward.

#4 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

I understand that you want a stand off with pace, after all I want that too, I'm sure jy mel will pick up pace as the season come on
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,530 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Chris Vasey?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

Chris Vasey?

I can remember all of the ones I mentioned going 60 - 70 yards from a break (as opposed to an interception) against top opposition - can you honestly remember Vasey or anybody else doing that for us ?

#7 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,530 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

I can remember all of the ones I mentioned going 60 - 70 yards from a break (as opposed to an interception) against top opposition - can you honestly remember Vasey or anybody else doing that for us ?

Maybe not, but you mentioned only four which, spread across your aeons of watching means that every other team has been found wanting too!

:D :D

Seriously, other than the occasional speedy wingman, our team has rarely featured any fast players has it?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#8 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Bit unfair to compare against four of the all-time greats.

#9 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Maybe not, but you mentioned only four which, spread across your aeons of watching means that every other team has been found wanting too!

Seriously, other than the occasional speedy wingman, our team has rarely featured any fast players has it?

Marquis Charles was a centre and he was quick

#10 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Davide Longo was quick too.

#11 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

True - apart from malcolm agar, ernie lowe and marquis.

#12 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Davide Longo was quick too.

Longo was quick - for a dewsbury stand off as was a new zealander called Vincent - but not VERY quick.

Bit unfair to compare against four of the all-time greats.

Doen't mean it's any less of a fact though - we never have done quick. Quickest stand off I ever saw was Ian brooke when he played at wakey - could play stand off or centre and had serious wheels. Think when he moved to bradford he only played at centre.

#13 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

dont worry people,when the young uns get settled in.The pace will be there.

#14 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

dont worry people,when the young uns get settled in.The pace will be there.

So talking of wingmen, how did morton measure up on boxing day ? - would have been a test I would have thought, given the pace of batley's backs

#15 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,530 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

True - apart from malcolm agar, ernie lowe and marquis.

Andrew Ramsden had a fair turn of pace, John Hegarty was quite nippy and Johnny Moore could go from one touchline to the other faster than any other wing man I've seen.

Wasn't that Rombo fellow fairly pacey too?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#16 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Dennis Bailey was pretty quick as well, Greg Ashcroft and Jeff Yoward were pretty fast

#17 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Bak on to 3/4s Ashcroft fastest man ever to put a Dewsbury shirt on.Terry day could run abit.What about Billy Pickup.

#18 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,530 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Bak on to 3/4s Ashcroft fastest man ever to put a Dewsbury shirt on.Terry day could run abit. What about Billy Pickup.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#19 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

......the word pace has no association whatsoever with Jymel Coleman

We'll have to find out, maybe Morrison has put Coleman on some sort of training programme? If anyone can tell me different then I'll accept all answers
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#20 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 931 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Franny apart we have struggled with the number 6 position for years. It wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the fact that Batley haven't. We should have picked up Handforth a few years ago, but our friends across the valley got there first. Jy Mel might be the one, but not based on what I saw on Boxing Day. I know there aren't that many out there, but it sucks that we persistently struggle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users