Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Stand-offs and quick players

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

We'll have to find out, maybe Morrison has put Coleman on some sort of training programme? If anyone can tell me different then I'll accept all answers

I think pace is the one attribute in the game that cannot be taught. Coleman is undoubtedly a fine player. I have always thought this from the first time I saw him, and have seen nothing to change my mind since. However, he does not have natural pace, and I suspect never will have, rather making up for this with speed of thought.

#22 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Franny apart we have struggled with the number 6 position for years. It wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the fact that Batley haven't. We should have picked up Handforth a few years ago, but our friends across the valley got there first. Jy Mel might be the one, but not based on what I saw on Boxing Day. I know there aren't that many out there, but it sucks that we persistently struggle.

Before Handforth turned up, we struggled a bit for a stand-off. In fact the last decent one was Mark Barlow, who for a short while was outstanding in tandem with Paul Mennell when he first arrived.

#23 The Crab

The Crab
  • Coach
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Dennis Bailey was pretty quick as well, Greg Ashcroft and Jeff Yoward were pretty fast

Always thought Dennis could have been really quick but he never seemed to have the same belief and confidence in himself that Eddie Rombo had.If Dennis made a break he would spend half the time looking over his shoulder to see where the opposition were when he could have been long gone.

#24 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

Andrew Ramsden had a fair turn of pace, John Hegarty was quite nippy and Johnny Moore could go from one touchline to the other faster than any other wing man I've seen.

Wasn't that Rombo fellow fairly pacey too?

Aye, and mitta, arrowsmith, bramald and james craven, and I remember a prop in the sixties called coates who could shift a bit for a beer monster as well, but they weren't halfbacks - which leaves my original observation undented. Incidentally, nobody has told me how fast morton looked yet. :o

#25 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Incidentally, nobody has told me how fast morton looked yet. :o

maybe no one knew who he was. was he wearing white ?

#26 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

maybe no one knew who he was. was he wearing white ?

Obviously not stand out then. Reason I ask was because he was described as "former wakefield flyer" somewhere - but I believe he has had a knee reconstruction in the not too distant past, and wondered whether he was at full pace.

#27 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Obviously not stand out then. Reason I ask was because he was described as "former wakefield flyer" somewhere - but I believe he has had a knee reconstruction in the not too distant past, and wondered whether he was at full pace.

Nobody "flew" on Boxing day GOR; it wasn't that kind of game nor was the surface conducive. So it would be unfair to reach any kind of judgement on Morton from this game (except he doesn't kick as well as the long-lamented Patch).
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#28 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Nobody "flew" on Boxing day GOR; it wasn't that kind of game nor was the surface conducive. So it would be unfair to reach any kind of judgement on Morton from this game (except he doesn't kick as well as the long-lamented Patch).

Don't worry BSJ - once aston realises his new half back combo are sending them towards relegation (4 - 5 weeks ?) patch will be available on loan. :o :lol:

#29 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

......the word pace has no association whatsoever with Jymel Coleman

nor does 'conversion kicker'

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#30 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

Andrew Ramsden had a fair turn of pace, John Hegarty was quite nippy and Johnny Moore could go from one touchline to the other faster than any other wing man I've seen.

Wasn't that Rombo fellow fairly pacey too?

Brilliant memory BSJ. That Johnny Moore, boy he was good at running 50 metres and not gaining a yard. Surely Eddie Rombo has to be as fast as most of us have seen? Even if he wasn't he scored some of the best tries. Dennis Bailey was quick once he got going. His legs were that long it took him 20 yards to get into his stride.

#31 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

Before Handforth turned up, we struggled a bit for a stand-off. In fact the last decent one was Mark Barlow, who for a short while was outstanding in tandem with Paul Mennell when he first arrived.

A VERY short while. Maybe three games at the most.

#32 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

......the word pace has no association whatsoever with Jymel Coleman

You could be a bit wrong with that statement, try putting an eighth of an inch of Colemans Mustard on your Ham Sandwich, take a bite and see how quick you move!!!!!!!
Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#33 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

I think pace is the one attribute in the game that cannot be taught. Coleman is undoubtedly a fine player. I have always thought this from the first time I saw him, and have seen nothing to change my mind since. However, he does not have natural pace, and I suspect never will have, rather making up for this with speed of thought.

Fair does.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#34 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

Aye, and mitta, arrowsmith, bramald and james craven, and I remember a prop in the sixties called coates who could shift a bit for a beer monster as well, but they weren't halfbacks - which leaves my original observation undented. Incidentally, nobody has told me how fast morton looked yet. :o

I remember Richard Arrowsmith running the length of the field near the touch-line. That lad was quick!

#35 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Bryn Powell, Guy Coombes (however quick his defence was very poor), Mark Conway, Shaun Austerfield, Matt Bramald, Davide Longo, Richard Pachniuk, Dennis Bailey, Jason Osbourne, Kane Epati.

#36 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Bryn Powell, Guy Coombes (however quick his defence was very poor), Mark Conway, Shaun Austerfield, Matt Bramald, Davide Longo, Richard Pachniuk, Dennis Bailey, Jason Osbourne, Kane Epati.

Others have mentioned Osbourne before, but I don't ever recall him play first team - wasn't there some kind of problem ?

#37 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

I remember Richard Arrowsmith running the length of the field near the touch-line. That lad was quick!

Baker and Godfrey from the champs.

#38 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Others have mentioned Osbourne before, but I don't ever recall him play first team - wasn't there some kind of problem ?

Jason Osbourne played in the 2nd team. Never understood how he never made it into the first team as he was lightning fast!

#39 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hmm,! This is getting a bit like "the older I get the quicker they were". Some of the players mentioned were admittedly nippy but not fast, as GOR's original contention says. I can't really see Pachniuk, Baker, Godfrey etc. making a length of the filed dash successfully in pursued by a fast winger. But maybe my memory works the wrong way around and they all get slower as i get older? :lol:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#40 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Jason Osbourne played in the 2nd team. Never understood how he never made it into the first team as he was lightning fast!

Catching, passing, tackling maybe?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users