TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Stand-offs and quick players

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

You're probably right (Gwynn rather than Glynn, I'm a bit like Jonathan Woss in pronouncing vowels).
His brother Alan did play at international level.
I remember Davies getting his sine die ban. I believe it was in a cup tie against Trinity and the ref has just given them a very dubious penalty,the latest in a string of bad decisions against Dewsbury, which Neil Fox had hit between the posts to put Trinity ahead. As they returned to the halfway line for the restart, Davies simply let loose a haymaker which put the ref on his derriere. There were more than a few Davies-sympathizers in the crowd. Hadn't heard about the committee-man incident, but I do remember a few who may well have deserved a dowsing. One of these brought a winger called Pratt from Morley RU and pronounced him as the next Roy Pollard. The guy's name should have given him a clue. He could run, but it was only in a direction away from the opposition, backwards, sidewards but rarely forwards. And stopping a paper bag in a gust of wind was beyond him.

I can also remember watching Roger Millward as a schoolboy on Sunday afternoon TV (B&W) with Dewsbury's least favourite son commentating. He was at the time, Eddie told us, "mercurial", which presumably was approaching "ubiquitous". That adjective Eddie reserved for Alex Murphy.

I used to watch those - dewsbury v cas with millward on the cas side and maloney and watson on the dewsbury team was the best one I saw.

#62 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

You're probably right (Gwynn rather than Glynn, I'm a bit like Jonathan Woss in pronouncing vowels).
His brother Alan did play at international level.
I remember Davies getting his sine die ban. I believe it was in a cup tie against Trinity and the ref has just given them a very dubious penalty,the latest in a string of bad decisions against Dewsbury, which Neil Fox had hit between the posts to put Trinity ahead. As they returned to the halfway line for the restart, Davies simply let loose a haymaker which put the ref on his derriere. There were more than a few Davies-sympathizers in the crowd. Hadn't heard about the committee-man incident, but I do remember a few who may well have deserved a dowsing. One of these brought a winger called Pratt from Morley RU and pronounced him as the next Roy Pollard. The guy's name should have given him a clue. He could run, but it was only in a direction away from the opposition, backwards, sidewards but rarely forwards. And stopping a paper bag in a gust of wind was beyond him.

I can also remember watching Roger Millward as a schoolboy on Sunday afternoon TV (B&W) with Dewsbury's least favourite son commentating. He was at the time, Eddie told us, "mercurial", which presumably was approaching "ubiquitous". That adjective Eddie reserved for Alex Murphy.

Mercurial, as in the winged-heeled messenger of the gods Mercury.

It means fast!

Ubiquitous means to be everywhere at the same time.

HTH

:P
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#63 mahtsalleh

mahtsalleh
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

Exactly. So before you can aspire to become ubiquitous, you first have to be mercurial?

#64 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Exactly. So before you can aspire to become ubiquitous, you first have to be mercurial?

I believe that ubiquitous also implies god-like, which I'm sure AM would have agreed with. <_<

Mercury was only a messenger however. :rolleyes:
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#65 mahtsalleh

mahtsalleh
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

Yes, and Murphy, in his heyday, was perhaps the best "assistant referee" in the game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users