Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Short sighted

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Why do the Aussie seem not to care about international RL? So many opportunities to develop the greatest sport, so much money, so little leadership and vision....why ?

#2 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

I suppose it comes down to the fact that they don't need to and it's not in the clubs interests to do it. They already lose top players to SOO.

Same happens here to less of an extent, club is king. Would a club put up with the number games a player would miss if we had anything like the RU schedule? Would the fans?
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#3 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,714 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Maybe there's a lack of challenge from our side of the world. ANZAC Day Aus v Nz is an annual game played since very early in the last century, That's over and above any other international RL tournament that may be there. Or perhaps the finances don't provide enough incentive.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#4 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Bring back Lions tours !!! Also with all that money the ARL should seek to develop the game in their back garden - Japan would love state of origin! Need to set up a southern development federation, we have one up here and it's done wonders.

However, bring back Lions tours !

#5 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Japan would love state of origin!

??????????????
I think you misunderstand the concept of STATE of ORIGIN
New South Wales & Queensland are only just coming to grips with their game being played in Victoria ocasionally.

It would be like taking the Roses game -Lancashire / Yorkshire to Russia to 'expand the back garden' :wacko:

I get frustrated that the World Club Challenge never gets played in Australia / or even considered for a neutral zone like Dubai.

I didn't know they had a "Southern Development Federation" up there :lol:

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#6 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,714 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

One good thing for me BR is that I get to see Storm play live here. This year I only have to travel to Headingley - just over 20 miles!

Alternating the country played in would raise the profile and status of the competition. I'm sure a big crowd would turn out in Oz for the fixture.
The fact that aussie fans don't get a look in or sniff of a chance to see the game on home territory is a shame and in my opinion a mistake.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#7 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Why do the Aussie seem not to care about international RL? So many opportunities to develop the greatest sport, so much money, so little leadership and vision....why ?

Aussies in general? Because we're sheep who believe whatever News Ltd tells us...

The ARL? They've been broke since the mid 90's (for obvious rasons) and have had to fight off challenges from RU, AFL and soccer for fans and support...

The new ARL says the Intl game is the pinnacle of the sport so expect things to change for the better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users