Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

historic matches you have attended

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

mine isn't a chalenge cup win or the 1989 world club challenge, it was february 1991 when i watched runcorn highfield end their record losing run in emphatic fashion.................scoring over 50 points in the process. beating keighley 54-16

Edited by Viking Warrior, 30 December 2012 - 12:14 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#2 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

I watched my team lose 72-10 in a CC SF, which was a pretty historic defeat. But if I recall correctly, at least Henderson Gill had a little boogie....I also watched Robbie Paul's debut in the A team for Bradford and I also remember beating Wigan 10-6 in a match until the fog rolled in and the match got abandoned...I suppose any match can be 'historic' but these are perhaps my most memerable..along with a couple of Grand Final wins of course...

#3 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Celtic Crusaders winning their first ever league game away at Workington Town.

#4 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

I was at (Perth) Western Reds, Celtic Crusaders and South Wales Scorpions' first ever matches and North Wales Crusaders' first home match. I was at the last London Broncos game before they became Harlequins for a while too. I was at Wales' first game back in 1991 and was of course there when they won the European Cup in Bridgend in 2009 and in Albi in 2010. I also saw Gloucestershire Warriors win a Challenge Cup game against the odds in Yorkshire against Illingworth.

There's probably a few more to that collection too but it's what springs to mind.
About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#5 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

I saw Chorley's last game when they defeated York in a classic. York were well in front and their fans were extracting the urine but Chorley fought back to level and then won it with a Brian Capewell drop goal from near half way. I think I saw Scorpions first ever game. I only missed 2 home games that first season. Celtic Crusaders first ever game was in the Northern Rail cup at Hemel. Did you get a programme Cardiff Cymru? Prior to moving to Wrexham I have every Celtic Crusaders home and away programmes except that one!

#6 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

I was also at North Wales Crusaders first home and away matches, Cardiff Cymru. In fact, the only game I have ever missed was the friendly at Milford, because "my first team" Eccles had a game that day. You probably know who I am now.

#7 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

I watched my team lose 72-10 in a CC SF, which was a pretty historic defeat. But if I recall correctly, at least Henderson Gill had a little boogie....I also watched Robbie Paul's debut in the A team for Bradford and I also remember beating Wigan 10-6 in a match until the fog rolled in and the match got abandoned...I suppose any match can be 'historic' but these are perhaps my most memerable..along with a couple of Grand Final wins of course...

The fogged off game was my first ever - just after I'd moved to the city.
People called Romans they go the house

#8 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

2004 nrl grand final................................the great freddie fittlers last ever game.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#9 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Warrington v Leigh at Central Park after the 'Fire' at Wilderspool, following the 1-1 draw in the play offs

York v Leigh at Scarborough

Edited by sweaty craiq, 30 December 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#10 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Mine is historic from a Rugby League and personal point of view. (This is a bit grim so apologies in advance.. :( )

It was when I attended the last game at the Boulevard on 22nd October, 2002. Hull FC v New Zealand on a Tuesday night. I took my Dad who was riddled with cancer at the time, unfortunately, this was obviously going to be his last ever game as well. Him and my mother had bought tickets for the game weeks before as they were both regulars at the Boulevard with their own seats in the newish part of the Threepenny stand. When we took our seats, the couple next to us who were pally with my folks, asked me where they both were. I explained that my Dad was the chap that, due to his advanced cancer, they didn't recognise sitting next to me, and unfortunately, my Mother had collapsed and died suddenly 5 weeks before.

Not surprisingly, I don't recall them speaking to me again all night.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#11 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Gateshead and Crusaders first game. London's first game in Perpignan.
The first grand Final at OT and the last CC at Wembley.

Not much else but i always regard London beating Bradford in their pomp at Tynecastle as historic. :-)
Edit: In fact it was, Steele Rechless' 67 tackles in a match - probably still a SL record?

Edited by John Rhino, 30 December 2012 - 11:19 AM.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#12 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,852 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Gateshead and Crusaders first game. London's first game in Perpignan.
not much else but i always regard London beating Bradford in their pomp at Tynecastle as historic. :-)

A few of the top of my head.

Wigan v Manley 1987 Unofficial WCC
Salford v Wigan 1996 Challenge Cup.
Wigan v Leeds 1998 Grand Final
Wigan v Saints 1999 (Last game at Central Park)

#13 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hull Kr beating Wire in the cup in 06

#14 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

hunslet v york last game at parkside
hunslet v huyton first gane at dogtrack

bramley v leeds 1995 first game of rugby league at clarence fields home of headingley rugby union
york v leeds challenge cup first game of rugby league played at bootham cresent
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

mine isn't a chalenge cup win or the 1989 world club challenge, it was february 1991 when i watched runcorn highfield end their record losing run in emphatic fashion.................scoring over 50 points in the process. beating keighley 54-16

Never, you must be deluded. ;)

#16 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Mine is historic from a Rugby League and personal point of view. (This is a bit grim so apologies in advance.. :( )

It was when I attended the last game at the Boulevard on 22nd October, 2002. Hull FC v New Zealand on a Tuesday night. I took my Dad who was riddled with cancer at the time, unfortunately, this was obviously going to be his last ever game as well. Him and my mother had bought tickets for the game weeks before as they were both regulars at the Boulevard with their own seats in the newish part of the Threepenny stand. When we took our seats, the couple next to us who were pally with my folks, asked me where they both were. I explained that my Dad was the chap that, due to his advanced cancer, they didn't recognise sitting next to me, and unfortunately, my Mother had collapsed and died suddenly 5 weeks before.

Not surprisingly, I don't recall them speaking to me again all night.

That's a very sad story OF, it must have been a very difficult time for you. Puts things into perspective.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 30 December 2012 - 12:46 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#17 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

I saw GB beat Australia at Odsal to win the World Cup. I would love to see a repeat at Old Trafford next year.

I saw Keighley stuff eventual Champions Hunslet at Lawkholme Lane on the way to promotion in the early 60,s

I saw us lose a Yorks cup semi final to Wakefield 5 to 4, played at Odsal because we took a bribe from Trinity to switch from Keighley. Wakefield won when Neil Fox played the ball forward to himself and scored the winning try. That's against the law in today's game.

#18 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Wigan / Manly
Wires / Wakefield last ever game at Wilderspool
GB / Aus 92 at wembley WC final
Wembley 87 saints / fax my first final, curtain raiser was also nice !!

#19 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

That's a very sad story OF, it must have been a very difficult time for you. Puts things into perspective.

Thanks Terry, wasn't a great time tbh.

(And Hull got beat!)

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#20 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

I saw Fulhams first home game against Wigan and all their home games for their first two seasons. I also saw all Celtic Crusaders home games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users