Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

historic matches you have attended

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#81 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

1990 Wembley test match, what a great occassion.
1985, 86 and 87 challange cup finals
The best one involving my club has to be the 1989 yorkshire cup semi final replay v Cas. Would have been the 83 challange cup final if my Dad would have taken me (will never forgive him for that one).
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#82 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

I was at (Perth) Western Reds, Celtic Crusaders and South Wales Scorpions' first ever matches and North Wales Crusaders' first home match. I was at the last London Broncos game before they became Harlequins for a while too. I was at Wales' first game back in 1991 and was of course there when they won the European Cup in Bridgend in 2009 and in Albi in 2010. I also saw Gloucestershire Warriors win a Challenge Cup game against the odds in Yorkshire against Illingworth.

There's probably a few more to that collection too but it's what springs to mind.

Me against summer rugby!!!! I sponsored Gloucesters man of the match that day :rolleyes:
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#83 Rioman

Rioman
  • Coach
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

I had been at Boothferry Park in1982 watching the Australians playing a different sport. Watching Hull KR beat Queensland the following year was just as memorable!

I love the way Whitfield gives a penalty and tells the guy to get up. :D

#84 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

That match was at Belle Vue

Wasn't there one at the end of the season at "The Jungle"? I have vague memories of Cas fans being dejected at the end. Either way, I went with Phil C - he'd know.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#85 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,647 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Wasn't there one at the end of the season at "The Jungle"? I have vague memories of Cas fans being dejected at the end. Either way, I went with Phil C - he'd know.

If you could ever find out which boozer you drank in before the game, it sounds like it might be worth knowing for future visits.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#86 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Any idea what the kick off time was?

It was played in December so it needed to be over before 4pm.

13:30pm was the time I had in mind but wouldn't ague with VW's 14:00pm.
Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#87 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,554 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

1978: GB's Dad's Army beat the Convicts at Odsal

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#88 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hull V Huyton March 16th 1975 at The Boulevard. and a 'crowd' of 983. The only time there's been a home attendance below 1,000 for a Hull first team fixture.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#89 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

One that sticks in my mind was a 0-0 scoreless draw between Halifax and Hull in a Challenge cup semi at Headingley, 1987 or 88 I think. I'd never witnessed it before or since for that matter, at any level of the game.

If memory serves the replay was very low scoring as well with Fax winning by the odd point.

I think the score in the replay was 4-3. A Gary Pearce penalty and drop goal for Hull to a try for Halifax (Tony Anderson springs to mind).

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#90 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

London v Paris - 1996 the first game in Superleague .. and I will probably see the last at this rate :(
London v Wigan - 1996 on a saturday evening at the valley when London drew 10,014 - what have been ..... :(
London v Leeds - 1999 the last final at the old Wembley .
South Sydney v Sydney Roosters - 2002 First game back and first hiding for the Rabbitohs - Rusty doing the dirty over the starting bell.
Gold Coast Titans v St George - 2006 1st ever game for Gold Coast played at Suncorp.

OT - Is there a version of Soccers 92 Club for League fans ?

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#91 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,432 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

This years grand final, I had the pleasure in seeing the worlds best player!! :P

#92 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

rhys hanbury...................... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#93 DaveGC

DaveGC
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Mine are Oldham v Wigan r.l.c.c. 1st round 10-8
Oldham v Australia 4/11/86 16-22
Oldham v Hull 28/12 80 2-1

#94 WakefieldCityLoyal

WakefieldCityLoyal
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Wakefield Trinity V Australia Belle Vue 1990

#95 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

GB's last ever game, a narrow win over NZ.

Blackpool Panthers first game as Blackpool, their win over Workington to end a record losing run.

#96 Storm

Storm
  • Coach
  • 628 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

Saw 2 of the greatest tries scored at Wembley in 1994. Johnathan Davies' was enjoyed to the fullest. The Martin Offiah try wasn't greeted in the same manor as it destroyed our dreams that day. (missed Wembley 90/92 for GB & 99 for Leeds, ######)
Saw all 6 Invincible tests over here.
Was in Sydney for the 2002 debarcle, 64-10 GB defeat.
1998 Grand Final.
83,85, 86, 87 Wembley finals, all cliff hangers.
2004 Grand Final, finally winning the title after 32 years.
88/89 season decider between Widnes & Wigan
87 World Club Challenge
07/08/09 Back to back to back Grand Final

#97 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

London v Paris - 1996 the first game in Superleague .. and I will probably see the last at this rate :(
London v Wigan - 1996 on a saturday evening at the valley when London drew 10,014 - what have been ..... :(
London v Leeds - 1999 the last final at the old Wembley .
South Sydney v Sydney Roosters - 2002 First game back and first hiding for the Rabbitohs - Rusty doing the dirty over the starting bell.
Gold Coast Titans v St George - 2006 1st ever game for Gold Coast played at Suncorp.

OT - Is there a version of Soccers 92 Club for League fans ?

Surprised you missed off the Cas V London challenge cup semi in 1999. Now that was not only historic because London got to Wembley, but also one of THE best ever games. I always thought it was unfortunate that the Wembley chance came when the club were at the Stoop. I think a bigger impact would have resulted at Charlton in 1996 or even at Brentford.

#98 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 990 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

World Cup Final 2000 (not exactly momentous but was a great experience as someone who didn't turn 14 until a month later but was allowed to go on the bus and tram to Old Trafford with my brother and some mates)
Last game at Knowsley Road
Last game at Hilton Park
First game at the LSV
All but one of Leigh's games in Super League (missed Hull away, the third time we played at the KC that season)
Possibly one of the last games at Wilderspool (there were that many!), Mark Hilton's testimonial vs Leigh only a month or two before the HJ opened

Not a great list, it has to be said!

#99 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

Mine are Oldham v Wigan r.l.c.c. 1st round 10-8
Oldham v Australia 4/11/86 16-22
Oldham v Hull 28/12 80 2-1

Oh Lord I remember that 2-1 defeat! Bob Gaitley, our stand-in stand-off at the time, sold a dummy and with a clear run to the line chose to drop a goal!!! :o Thus extending our try famine for another 80 mins.

Historic memory for me. 1984 Wakefield v Hull at Belle Vue. Wally Lewis' first game for wakey & Peter Sterlings first for Hull. Half the Bradford Uni team went across to the game on the bus with me. Wally Lewis' first pass from the centre spot hit Stuart Vass on the wing! At that point I think most of the Hull fans thought "we've signed the wrong one!". Lewis tired, Sterling stamped his authority & Hull won in the end. Great day.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#100 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

Another one that sticks in the memory for me is Halifax v Hull from a few years ago (2004?). As far as I know its the only game ever not to contain a single penalty in the whole 80mins. IIRC Bob Connolly was the ref.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users