RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

historic matches you have attended

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,532 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

30th January 1983, Dewsbury vs Rochdale at Crown Flatt. 650 hardy spectators had trudged through the torrential rain and some refused to pay the extra to stand under cover so stood for the whole match on the Long Stand. A match of ceaseless effort coupled with no little incompetence as the ball was dropped, knocked on or knocked out of the grasp time after time. A succession of (competitive) scrums collapsed incessantly and the rain continued to drive down out of a Stygian sky. The final ten minutes of the game were played before a grumbling and baying crowd urging both sides on to ceaseless defensive effort and greeted the final score with a mighty roar - well a cattarhal chuckle anyway.

Dewsbury 0 - 0 Rochdale

The magic of rugby league lived on.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 11 January 2013 - 03:07 PM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#122 bulldogs17

bulldogs17
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

18th July 2010 Northern Rail Cup Final

Batley 25 - 24 Widnes

Posponed my holiday by a day just so I could go, much to the bemusement of my Mum. Alex Brown will forever be a hero after that day with batley winning their first significant trophy since 1952. Buzzing!!

#123 moorman

moorman
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Two games Come to mind

May 1979 at Borough Park , Blackpool when Blackpool coached by Albert Fearnley team beat Whitehaven to win promotion

April 1981 Leigh winning in the Dust Bowl that was the Recreation Ground to clinch the First Division Title and be presented with the RL Championship trophy at the conclusion of the game

#124 Bilko

Bilko
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Any idea what the kick off time was?

from what i can remember it was 2:00 pm.......

It was a 2:15pm Kick Off. BBC 2 showed an hour of it at 7:35pm.

#125 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 362 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Shaun Edwards' debut for Wigan "A" in a side which had ANOther at full back also on debut - one Steve Hampson.

Wigan 0 Castleford 0 mid 70s also one hard to forget.

#126 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Best ever for me was Brisbane v Wigan 1994 at the ANZ. Wigan won by 20-14.
Boy, did the Aussie fans sulk that night.
Next morning's papers blamed everyone except the Broncos team.
When the Broncos BOD saw Wigan arriving with half a pack they offered a "winner takes all" for the prize money.
After them losing the Broncos didn't pay up.
It was a long way to go for one match and my first visit to Australia but worth every mile and every penny.

#127 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Huddersfield 142 Blackpool 4

I wasn't there. I had a feeling it was going to be a record and I was going to go but I was down south and my more sensible angel persuaded me that it would be an 80-0 drubbing of no note whatsoever.

So I didn't go. I watched it on Ceefax.

I'd have been gutted if Greg Austin had become the fifth person to score 10 tries in a match. I think he got 9 in the end. The story is that he spurned a tenth because he didn't want to match Lionel Cooper's 10 vs Keighley against such weak opposition. I can't imagine that's true though.

Not quite the idea of the thread though...

That's me.  I'm done.

#128 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Best ever for me was Brisbane v Wigan 1994 at the ANZ. Wigan won by 20-14.
Boy, did the Aussie fans sulk that night.
Next morning's papers blamed everyone except the Broncos team.
When the Broncos BOD saw Wigan arriving with half a pack they offered a "winner takes all" for the prize money.
After them losing the Broncos didn't pay up.
It was a long way to go for one match and my first visit to Australia but worth every mile and every penny.

The attendance was given as around 54000 and then - mysteriously - tens of thousands were lopped off that figure: I presume that was somehow connected to the winner-takes-all challenge put forward by Brisbane? I'm sure I remember reading Dave Hadfield's wry thoughts on all of this all those years ago...

Incidentally, does anyone know if Brisbane paid up the full amount?

As for "sulking" - some Australians still are if you go according to what they post about the forthcoming World Club Challenge. Don't you know that it's just a pre-season jolly and that poor old Brisbane played a game both the weekend before and the weekend after?

I mean, how could they be expected to win?

#129 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,639 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Widnes's second game in last season's SL.

12th Feb 2012 Huddersfield 66 Widnes 6.

I didn't go but was listening to a dodgy Radio Leeds reception commentary,driving back to Hull after a day out in Helmsley.

(Oh, almost forgot to mention, I had a tenner on the Giants to win by 56-60 points with Ladbrokes at 33/1. :D )

Hull-FC-V10-e1380711301940.jpg         HULL NOT VERY PROUD

"You're not City anymore!"

(The chant of opposition fans to Hull Tigers' supporters this season)

#130 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

I didn't go but was listening to a dodgy Radio Leeds reception commentary,driving back to Hull after a day out in Helmsley.

(Oh, almost forgot to mention, I had a tenner on the Giants to win by 56-60 points with Ladbrokes at 33/1. :D )

I did go.

You were a lucky man.

We were lucky to get 6.
Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#131 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 362 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Congrtas on your win, but 33/1 is poor odds for that bet.

#132 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,639 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

I did go.

You were a lucky man.

We were lucky to get 6.

Jeez, I feel for you mate.

Congrtas on your win, but 33/1 is poor odds for that bet.

Au contraire, it stuck out a mile for me as a very good bet. I actually had two ten pound bets, the other was Hudds by 51-55 at 20/1 IIRC.

Widnes had played their first game at home before a decent crowd v Wakey. They lost, I think, 18-29 or summat like. I thought at the time, if they can't win under those circumstances, they're gonna get a reet pasting at the Galpharm.

Ladbrokes odds were far better than any other bookies for that particular game.

Hull-FC-V10-e1380711301940.jpg         HULL NOT VERY PROUD

"You're not City anymore!"

(The chant of opposition fans to Hull Tigers' supporters this season)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users