Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

First game

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

Two weeks today we have our first competitive match away at Widnes but do we have a team?

I reckon that we still have 2 players suspended and up to 5 players still recovering from operations out of our squad of around 20 players.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

my guess would be that the fit and available players will be carter,mossop,calderwood,forber,coyle,phillips,phillips,stack,shacks,coward,dowes,walne,olstrum,gaskell and i think if hes signed patrick. thats 14 or 15. and i think we will see a few of the widnes lads who will feature for town play for us as well. i think it highlights were still short on numbers though
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#3 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Cotter aswell
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#4 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Olstrum as not been training think he as a bad ankle patrick also and cotter think it will after be made up with the widnes lads

#5 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

if you look at our injury and suspension list, i think most teams would be up against it. morris,rooney,matty,lupton,thacks,miller, etc thats the majority of our star players.

#6 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

I just wonder if other teams have the problems raising a team at the start of the season that we seem to have or is it just bad luck ???????.

#7 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

I just wonder if other teams have the problems raising a team at the start of the season that we seem to have or is it just bad luck ???????.

I find it quite astonishing that any professional team cant raise a team or are having problems in doing so. i know that worky have a lot of injury's at present, but what will happen if you have an injury list like this halfway through the season?

#8 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,800 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

A lot of clubs have players getting fit after having operations during the close season.

#9 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

but we still have a couple of months of recruitment to do and ill be astonished if we dont have ay least 3-5 widnes lads made available to us. we will also have 3-4 of our lads back for the start of the season

#10 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

A lot of clubs have players getting fit after having operations during the close season.

Lets hope Widnes aren't one of them then

#11 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

I find it quite astonishing that any professional team cant raise a team or are having problems in doing so. i know that worky have a lot of injury's at present, but what will happen if you have an injury list like this halfway through the
season?

It's what's known as not spending what you don't have you clown....

#12 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

ok sounds like your heavily reliant on what widnes are going to throw at you, good look on your season clown.

#13 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

and what super team do you support SHUN.

#14 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

and what super team do you support SHUN.

hey i didnt come on hear to have a pop or out, it was just a question,because i was quite shocked that your struggling to raise a team....... I support millom :o :D , my Favourite pro team is barrow, id rather worky beat haven, my Favourite team in super league is wigan, i also support man u, and i also follow Carlisle, thats prob just a cumbrian thing though :) will that do you?

Edited by shun, 31 December 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#15 Bearintown

Bearintown
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

This time last season we would have struggled to raise a 7 a side team :wacko: so lets believe the board and coaches know what they are doing ;)

BTW lads lets not get in the habit of posters being jumped on as soon as they appear on here.
Shun said nothing wrong did he?
Fair and reasoned arguments AND opinions should always be welcome whoever they come from!

#16 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Well baring the pro team SHUN seems we both support the rest of the teams you put in your post HAPPY NEW YEAR.

#17 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Everyone's entitled to ask questions , and its hard to argue with the premise that it doesn't look good , especially from the outside looking in as lots of teams turn out for games , but we know the reasons and those guys don't .
It's very small beer , it's a long league season and that's all that matters . We may need to utilise our full squad and Widnes link up in the first month especially , but we'll have the quality n quantity for the meat when it matters most .Our recruitment is great as far as I'm concerned . With two or three more all will be sweet , the BOD has done us proud. Happy new year townies and happy championship season to our great, historic , trophy laden ( slight dig to no team in particular ) and beloved club .

Edited by DavidM, 31 December 2012 - 08:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users