Speaking at the conclusion of what has been a superb twelve months for his Rhinos side Hetherington expects next year to be an even better one for the entire sport. He said: “I think 2013 will be a landmark year for Rugby League and as we head into the New Year I believe there are six big things for Rugby League fans to be cheerful about:
- The best opening round of Super League fixtures with hard to predict results.
- Leeds Rhinos v Melbourne Storm in the World Club Challenge, which will be a classic best v best contest with three of the World’s best players in Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater and Cameron Smith all representing NRL Champions Melbourne Storm and arguably the World’s most successful coach in any sport, Craig Bellamy, looking to wrestle the World Club Challenge Trophy away from Leeds Rhinos.
- The Etihad Stadium will host a record 70,000 plus fans for the annual Magic Weekend fixtures.
- The new Academy U19s competition will easily be the best to date and full of unique talents ready to burst onto Super League.
- The best England team for over 20 years assembled by coach Steve McNamara and captained by Super League’s most successful captain Kevin Sinfield.
- The biggest and best Rugby League World Cup tournament to date."
- Following the new £1 million pitch reconstruction the team will start the season playing on a bowling green, rather than a bog, with a hard and fast surface that will suit our style.
- In newcomers Mitch Achurch, Joel Moon and Joe Vickery we have a trio of terrific talents who add extra strike and quality to our team.
- In Brian McDermott we have a coach who ranks alongside any other in the World.
- The most exciting and talented squad in the club’s history who are all hungry for more success."
Media and PR Manager