• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

Timing couldn't be better to ask this question

What has been the stand out "thing" for you??

Player, club, performance or achievement.

Just for fun.

Bets wishes to all for 2013

#2 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Zak Hardaker for me, moving him to full back has seen thim blossom. Mos for me if Leeds do well next year!
Sheffield - amazing and great to see after the merger
Leeds versus Wigan in the play offs. Brilliant game had it all
Sam tomkins -deserved winner of mos. England's leading light now and can't wait to see him in the World Cup.

#3 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

Leeds v Manly was epic. Catalans beating Saints on the bell. Coming back from the dead to beat HKR and win the league.
Being a guest of the Saints board for the Good Friday win beats the lot.
Happy New Year to all!

#4 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

Saints v Catalans was great, what a finish!

Batley v Dews on Boxing Day - always enjoy it!

RFL deciding not to ban the shoulder charge

Challenge Cup Final & Grand Final - both great spectacles that got us much needed media coverage

End of Season Internationals - not the best games but I think we are starting to understand the importance of them

But best for me has to the Bulls surviving what looked like a perilous situation, even if it did cost me £100!!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

From a Wire perspective:

1 - Winning the Challenge Cup again was brilliant. Loved it, great day out.

2 - Finally making the Grand Final - the semi win over Saints was just out of this world, as it looked like they had us. GF was disappointing, but we are getting there.

From the game overall:

3 - World Club Championship - great game, great to see Leeds win.

4 - Magic Weekend - I still struggle to understand why this isn't sold out months in advance, but selfishly, I'm rather glad it isn't. 30k each day makes the atmosphere around the ground just right, and I think another 18k per day at Man City just wouldn't work. Hopefully at some stage it will grow to be too big for Eastlands though.

#6 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Took in my first Hemel game at the start of the season and it was a brilliantly tense win over Hudderfield Underbank - great way to get me hooked!

Really enjoyed CC Final day, even more than usual.

Leeds v Manly, as other posters have said, was truly epic.Winning a few quid on Leeds +6 points also helped!

#7 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Seeing my son walk out with Jamie Lyon at the WCC and him scoring two tries in a HT game at Headingley.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 31 December 2012 - 03:01 PM.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#8 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Bradford with their backs against the wall beating Leeds infront of a packed out odsal, and as a St. Helen's fan beating Wigan at the DW.

#9 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Seeing my son walk out with Jamie Lyon at the WCC and him scoring two tries in a HT game at Headingley.

Here ya go

http://gcsports.zenf...d7fef#h1bbd7fef

Edited by Gary Coyle, 31 December 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#10 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

Here ya go

http://gcsports.zenf...d7fef#h1bbd7fef

Thank you.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#11 redbeckroad

redbeckroad
  • Coach
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Wath Brow Hornets clinching the NCL League title on the last day of the season at Leigh Miners Rangers, a rare win in itself. At the start of the day I think there were 4 teams who could have ended up top. Tension built as scores came in from the other games and the celebrations at the final whistle when the realisation sank in were a joy to behold (if you were from Wath Brow!). The Grand final win against Myton Warriors was a great achievement and a great day out for all concerned with the club but I've always believed that the true champions in any league, in any sport are those that finish top of the lot at the end of the regular season, but that's for another thread. And all this ten years after the club first joined the NCL!

#12 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

for me as a leeds supporter the best games were
the one leeds were supposed to get flogged in which of course was the challenge cup semi against wigan
the manly game
and of course the grand final which was a classic played out it the right manner by both teams who seem to have massive respect for each other.
playerwise at last a good run of games from calum watkins who has at last shown his potential .

i was also glad to see wakefied suprise so many people with a good season which got better as it wnet on .
the sheffield grnd final win was fantastic for the championshiips as was the doncaster victory in div 2

for engand just the fact that we could have a genuine debate about the many players who were worthy of a place was a breath of fresh air instead of scratching around trying to find players of quality

Edited by southstand loiner, 01 January 2013 - 02:20 PM.

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#13 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

From an England perspective the highlight of the year has been the continuing rise of Sam Tomkins, Ryan hall, Tom briscoe and josh charnley. Also the likes of lee mossop, Zak hardaker and kallum Watkins cementing their places in the starting 13 or first 17, just a shame johny lomax and lee Gaskell didn't kick on from a great 2011 season and Gary wheeler due to injury(who I rate very highly).

#14 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Highlights of the year for me, in no particular order:

1. Eagles winning the Championship. Having been relatively close to the club since its reformation following the Shuddersfield debacle, seeing us perform so well to beat Fev was wonderful. I can honestly say that the Eagles deserve their success - the people running the club - Mark Aston, Ian Swire and the other directors - have fought hard to keep the club alive and moving in the right direction since 1999. There are still issues to resolve - getting more bums on seats at home matches in particular - but they're doing almost everything right. Like Fev, the other progressive club in the Championship (despite the attitude of some of their fans on here), Sheffield are a great example of how a modern, community-focused pro Rugby League club should be run. Incidentally, the story of the Eagles rise and fall is fascinating. I was given an archive of papers recently by one of the directors, with information, letters etc from the early period of the second club and the "merger era". Some of the idiocy and bad attitudes they came up against back then is, frankly, a disgrace. Hopefully some of this will see the light of day at some point ;)

2. Bristol Sonics celebrating their 10th anniversary. In the grand scheme of things this is pretty meaningless, but for those of us who have been involved with the club from the start, it feels like a huge achievement. We struggled badly in our first few seasons and at times the club has almost folded. Now we're stronger on and off the pitch than we've ever been, with multiple open age teams, a thriving junior section and increased volunteers. It's great to see.

3. Bristol being awarded a RLWC game. Again, unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but acknowledgement from the RFL that the game is slowly putting down roots in the West Country.

4. The Sonics beating Hemel. An unexpected win built on a terrific defensive performance. It was proof that we belonged in NCL3/Conference South (as it will be this year), after a horrible run of defeats early in the season. We'd finally adapted to the demands of a higher standard of amateur rugby.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users