Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Predictions for 2012 that didn't come true

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Quite a few peo

"Any other examples of predictions that didn't quite work out?"

I think George Osborne could come up with a few. :lol:

Now now, they were all mitigated by the rain/Olympics/snow/Greek exit from the Eurozone/US Elections/French Elections/Savilegate/dark winter nights/Leveson. Nothing Gideon could possibly have done anything about.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#22 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

I was still at Junior School in Wales in 1963, so can't comment. However, it would be fair to say that, down my years since 1975: -
- We've rarely had an outstanding Board of Directors ... most of those years few if any fans knew who had the most shares or the true financial state of the club. For example, in the 1980's our most successful coach, Peter Fox, was never given any money, then as soon as Barry Seabourne came in, we signed John Woods, Terry Holmes, David Hobbs and Brendan Hill. Phil Ford and Steve Donlan also came but that was part of the Ellery Hanley transfer to Wigan.
- Losing Peter Deakin was a disaster
- Moving to Valley Parade was an unmitigated failure
-The Steve McNamara coaching era was a conspicuous failure that, in my opinion, has set the team back at least five years.

But it's never boring.
:D

I think you missed that goal kicking welsh full back signed for quite a large fee.The late Terry Price?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#23 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,404 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Before my time; though I saw him play for Wales.

I worked with people who had worked with him for Bradford Council. Apparently it was not unknown for him to go out for his dinner and not bother going back that afternoon.

You needn't have bothered looking for him in any sandwich shops.
B)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#24 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Quite a few peo

Now now, they were all mitigated by the rain/Olympics/snow/Greek exit from the Eurozone/US Elections/French Elections/Savilegate/dark winter nights/Leveson. Nothing Gideon could possibly have done anything about.

...extra holidays for the Jubilee/elections in Perth and Kinross/Leeds winning the title from fifth/lack of automatic p+r (oops, who said that??? :unsure: )...
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#25 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,244 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

In April the Environment Agency predicted that drought conditions could last until Christmas.

If you'd read your link you'd see that they said that average rainfall alone would not be enough to get drought areas out of drought.

But, anyway, I predicted the Olympics would be a disaster which it clearly wasn't, that nobody would care about the Jubilee when they then did.

I was thankfully correct that nobody of true-born British stock would ever be able to give a tuppenny stuff about the Tour de France.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#26 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,244 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Nothing Gideon could possibly have done anything about.

Gideon is a man of many talents.

It's finding what those talents are that is proving to be the problem.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#27 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Well he knows how to travel on the cheap. HTH :rolleyes:
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#28 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

..oh and work the MPs expenses system and get away with it.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#29 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,850 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

If you'd read your link you'd see that they said that average rainfall alone would not be enough to get drought areas out of drought.

They did indeed. But from the link:

Trevor Bishop, Head of Water Resources at the Environment Agency, said:

'A longer term drought, lasting until Christmas and perhaps beyond, now looks more likely – and we are working with businesses, farmers and water companies to plan ahead to meet the challenges of a continued drought.'

According to the OED a drought is "a prolonged period of abnormally low rainfall, leading to a shortage of water."

I don't think there's much doubt about what Mr Bishop meant. And on this occasion he got it wrong, although I don't think that lessens the need to conserve water supplies.

#30 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

We are doing our best in Linconlshire. The fields are full of the stuff!

#31 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,850 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

We are doing our best in Linconlshire. The fields are full of the stuff!

The one thing that is predictable is that we will sooner or later have a very dry year, with alarms sounding about drought all over again. The point is that it's hard to be sure when that year will arrive.

I can't think of a more important issue than the conservation of water supplies.

#32 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Wettest year since 2000 - evidently, God was expecting a UK-based RWC in an even year, but we fooled him! :D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#33 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Most of those made by Hull FC and Wigan fans during the preseason. :) All the best for 2013 chaps.

You're not wrong. I predicted Warrington would win the Grand Final.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#34 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

The death of international Rugby League.

Actually, I haven't checked to see if someone did predict this in 2012, but someone does do so in most years, so I reckon I'm on safe ground... ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#35 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,271 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Greece are still in the Euro.