Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about 'Tradtional season' RL

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Does it not irritate the players and spectators the amount of knock-ons there are due to the the mud and how slow and boggy it can become underfoot during the heart of winter? Or call-offs due to grounds being frozen over for weeks on end?
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#2 fatboystu

fatboystu
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

knock ons have nothing to do with mud, they're down do poor handling/passing. what is more fun, getting smashed and splashing down in a big muddy puddle or getting smashed and landing on hard ground? and so far this season we've had one match cancelled due to the weather. i've played both seasons and i know which i prefer, each to their own tho :D

#3 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Does it not irritate the players and spectators the amount of knock-ons there are due to the the mud and how slow and boggy it can become underfoot during the heart of winter? Or call-offs due to grounds being frozen over for weeks on end?

:D RUGBY UNION & our NATIONAL SPORT seem to do ok with the muddy, boggy & frozen grounds of the dull, dark, windy boring winter months, I don't know where you've been for the last 12 months but the only difference this year has been the temperature of the rain and I've seen some cracking games this winter that never had players losing the ball as they crashed onto the dry hard and dusty ground or even because thesun was in their eyes.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#4 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

knock ons have nothing to do with mud, they're down do poor handling/passing. what is more fun, getting smashed and splashing down in a big muddy puddle or getting smashed and landing on hard ground? and so far this season we've had one match cancelled due to the weather. i've played both seasons and i know which i prefer, each to their own tho :D

I think we've lost two or three (two teams) and only one from a frozen pitch (IMO that was playable at 2pm on the saturday)

#5 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

I think we've lost two or three (two teams) and only one from a frozen pitch (IMO that was playable at 2pm on the saturday)

Lost two or three teams?
Just how deep was that mud?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#6 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Lost two or three teams?
Just how deep was that mud?

I thought we where talkng oranges and you couldn't have ever played at Tattersfield or Whitehaven during the winter.

#7 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

:D RUGBY UNION & our NATIONAL SPORT seem to do ok with the muddy, boggy & frozen grounds of the dull, dark, windy boring winter months, I don't know where you've been for the last 12 months but the only difference this year has been the temperature of the rain and I've seen some cracking games this winter that never had players losing the ball as they crashed onto the dry hard and dusty ground or even because the sun was in their eyes.

Surely those statements are contradictory! Your saying it rains all the time no matter what the season is but then also saying the players drop the ball due to the sun in their eyes or the hard ground. For rain you need clouds that would be blocking the sun and if it is constantly raining then the grounds shouldn't be rock hard.

SINGING MY MUM'S A .......

Views are my own and not necessarily those of Thatto Heath Crusaders!!

#8 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Surely those statements are contradictory! Your saying it rains all the time no matter what the season is but then also saying the players drop the ball due to the sun in their eyes or the hard ground. For rain you need clouds that would be blocking the sun and if it is constantly raining then the grounds shouldn't be rock hard.

Taking the ######, <_< I also mentioned the only difference over the last 12 months is the temp of the rain. :o

#9 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

I've no problem with concrete-esq grounds, just need to vaz up once you realise who ripped to shreds your skins gets without it, it stings when you land on it but its far, far better and more fun than mud bowls, in my opinion... Who the hell loses the ball from hitting rock hard ground? :lol:

I agree a lot of knock-ons in bad conditions (cold, wet and muddy) happen due to bad passing (too much spin/too high/too low) but when the ball is wet & covered in mud it is an absolute 'mare to catch when your hands are also caked in mud.

I don't recockn there are half as many handling errors in an average June/July than there are in an average December/January.

Edited by HappyDave, 01 January 2013 - 09:57 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#10 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

I've no problem with concrete-esq grounds, just need to vaz up once you realise who ripped to shreds your skins gets without it, it stings when you land on it but its far, far better and more fun than mud bowls, in my opinion... Who the hell loses the ball from hitting rock hard ground? :lol:

I agree a lot of knock-ons in bad conditions (cold, wet and muddy) happen due to bad passing (too much spin/too high/too low) but when the ball is wet & covered in mud it is an absolute 'mare to catch when your hands are also caked in mud.

I don't recockn there are half as many handling errors in an average June/July than there are in an average December/January.

Tip for you - after the game use a scrubbing brush on your cuts & grazes, give them a good scrubbing, it stops scaring and there is not much difference in handling errors in either season.

#11 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

I don't think the ground has been all that bad since the 2010 summer season. Vaz works good enough.

#12 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

I don't think the ground has been all that bad since the 2010 summer season. Vaz works good enough.

We use scrubbing brushes in the winter <_< 10o forecast for this saturday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users