strictly red topic

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#1 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,484 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

In league express today the new is there's investors interested but they want a much better deal on the stadium or they are not interested.

That looks promising.

Is the stadium badly affected financially (and in terms of credibility) If Salford fold because they are too mean with the deal?

Also do these investors see a way to compete on a (possibly more achievable) lower crowd than 8,000 if the stadium deal can be drastically altered?

#2 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

I know a couple of people who own shops who, in the current climate, have had to say when the lease came up for renewal "I can only afford X% of what it was or close down"

Both are still in business because it makes sense for both sides.

Lets hope it works for Salford.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#3 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hi Parky - thanks for this. My postal sub for LE never arrives on monday!

I am glad to hear something - wish it was concrete news, but a bit more positive at least.

The stadium would be affected in 3 ways I can think of - loss of income from rent + no bar sales from Salford games + loss of praking fees. Also IF Sale were to be relegated - what then?

I believe the club plan for 2013 was for gates based on around 5000, with a cheaper squad certainly got that now! :lol: ).

Lets see what happens - time is so short now it must come to a head soon.

#4 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,484 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hi Parky - thanks for this. My postal sub for LE never arrives on monday!

I am glad to hear something - wish it was concrete news, but a bit more positive at least.

The stadium would be affected in 3 ways I can think of - loss of income from rent + no bar sales from Salford games + loss of praking fees. Also IF Sale were to be relegated - what then?

I believe the club plan for 2013 was for gates based on around 5000, with a cheaper squad certainly got that now! :lol: ).

Lets see what happens - time is so short now it must come to a head soon.

Sadly I don't think a cheap squad that can be paid for with a low crowd works if that cheap squad can't entertain by winning some games.

How far they can get the clubs stadium costs down will affect how far they can get the wages up and the break even down from 8000 fans.

I'm sensing someone coming in to just manage the club for a couple of years at no risk to themselves. Bit like at Bradford.

With HKR on a lower salary spend and cas on a low spend, Salford won't be alone.........

Leaving RFL/SLE to sort out the fantastically uneven comp SL has become.

But that's for another thread!

#5 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

Sadly I don't think a cheap squad that can be paid for with a low crowd works if that cheap squad can't entertain by winning some games.

I think a distinction needs to be made between "cheap" and "value for money". If I were a Salford fan I'd be looking for new owners to be squeezing every last bit of value they can out of the current market, I believe there's value to be had if you play the system and can bring someone in with a shrewd eye.

#6 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 915 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

I'm sensing someone coming in to just manage the club for a couple of years at no risk to themselves. Bit like at Bradford.

Why do keep making this claim that bradfords new OWNER is only a manager in it for the short term? He's putting plenty of his own money in so its hardly at no risk to himself.

#7 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,484 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Why do keep making this claim that bradfords new OWNER is only a manager in it for the short term? He's putting plenty of his own money in so its hardly at no risk to himself.

I don't, I believe a new kind of owner is taking over Superleague clubs, all part of the change away from depending on rich men to throw money at clubs. I apologise if I have misled you. my fault.

#8 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 915 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

I don't, I believe a new kind of owner is taking over Superleague clubs, all part of the change away from depending on rich men to throw money at clubs. I apologise if I have misled you. my fault.

Fair enough, but surely you'd agree that this new breed of owner, where you aren't dependent on his personal money purely but seek to bring money in from as many sources as possible as is happening at Bradford is healthier going forward? Apologies for the thread drift btw

#9 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,484 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Fair enough, but surely you'd agree that this new breed of owner, where you aren't dependent on his personal money purely but seek to bring money in from as many sources as possible as is happening at Bradford is healthier going forward? Apologies for the thread drift btw

Agree entirely and as I say the Bradford fans can reward him they know where to eat.

Anything new from Salford anyone???

#10 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Agree entirely and as I say the Bradford fans can reward him they know where to eat.

The board at Halifax stated that, they were going to run the club with out just one major money man backer and the money was going to come from different people / income streams. Their licence bid was slated by the RFL and then by fans of the "game". Maybe the RFL have changed their mind on how clubs should be run, especially in light of the recent financial problems at clubs.

#11 Philm

Philm
  • Coach
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

The board at Halifax stated that, they were going to run the club with out just one major money man backer and the money was going to come from different people / income streams. Their licence bid was slated by the RFL and then by fans of the "game". Maybe the RFL have changed their mind on how clubs should be run, especially in light of the recent financial problems at clubs.

This is the RFL's summary of Halifax's licensing application -

Halifax RLFC submitted an application with insufficient detail in their marketing, media or commercial plans. The club business plan was inadequate, figures presented by the club as the budget and performance forecasts for the 2012-14 Licence period were speculative and the club did not provide sufficient information for KPMG to complete their assessment procedures. Whilst the club has an excellent community program, a good facility and has recently strengthened its Board and player performance system, the club fell below the standards expected of a Super League club.

http://www.therfl.co...ng/super_league

It doesn't look as though the RFL had any objection to Halifax not relying on one man putting money into the club.

#12 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

This is the RFL's summary of Halifax's licensing application -

Halifax RLFC submitted an application with insufficient detail in their marketing, media or commercial plans. The club business plan was inadequate, figures presented by the club as the budget and performance forecasts for the 2012-14 Licence period were speculative and the club did not provide sufficient information for KPMG to complete their assessment procedures. Whilst the club has an excellent community program, a good facility and has recently strengthened its Board and player performance system, the club fell below the standards expected of a Super League club.

http://www.therfl.co...ng/super_league

It doesn't look as though the RFL had any objection to Halifax not relying on one man putting money into the club.

Bearing in mind what has happened to clubs since they were released. The summaries by the RFL don't hold much credibility.

#13 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Parky - in rely, here is the lastest bulletin from manchester evening news - with the usual pich of salt :D ?

http://menmedia.co.u...p-salford-fight or here it is pasted;

Rugby League chief executive Nigel Wood steps up Salford fight

Neil Barker
December 31, 2012

Rugby League chief executive Nigel Wood is working around the clock to try and rescue Salford City Reds.

Wood even spent Christmas Day and Boxing Day talking to potential new investors in an 11th hour bid to prevent the cash-strapped Super League club from going out of business.

Wood remains confident in his Save Our Salford quest, despite the dramatic collapse of the joint £1.5m Peel Holdings-Salford City Council rescue package. Wood is locked in talks with Peel and security firm Securitas who are believed to be keen on investing to keep the long-established club afloat.

The pressure is on as the RFL hierarchy want the situation resolved by mid-January ahead of the February start of the new season.

Meanwhile, Salford fans continue to raise money in an effort to clear the club's debts.

Shirley Bradshaw, chairperson of the Forever Reds group,told M.E.N. Sport: “We have to help all we can and make more people aware that their help is also needed.”

Former Salford player Stefan Ratchford has put his Warrington Grand Final shirt up for auction on line to boost the rescue fund that now stands at over £20,000.

Well -

If true it is quite encouraging - but we have had so many faalse dawns now ...

Edited by 41hound, 31 December 2012 - 07:10 PM.

#14 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

Bearing in mind what has happened to clubs since they were released. The summaries by the RFL don't hold much credibility.

KPMG don't look like a competent professional outfit either.

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

I disagree they were very professional when they came to visit the Dragons in 2007 and enjoyed excellent professional hospitality in Spain :))))))

Yes, O bet they were professional in the hospitality stakes.

However, the cleared the licence applications of Crusaders, Wakefield, Salford and Castleford so I'm not sure how much due diligence they did into the appliations they were reviewing.

#16 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

15 posts into a thread regarding Salford and nobody's suggested merging/changing the name to Manchester yet. Perhaps there's hope yet.

#17 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,484 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

15 posts into a thread regarding Salford and nobody's suggested merging/changing the name to Manchester yet. Perhaps there's hope yet.

Hopefully people will leave it as a Salford news thread.

Not criticising, it's so easy to move off the subject.

#18 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,484 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Parky - in rely, here is the lastest bulletin from manchester evening news - with the usual pich of salt :D ?

http://menmedia.co.u...p-salford-fight or here it is pasted;

Rugby League chief executive Nigel Wood steps up Salford fight

Neil Barker
December 31, 2012

Rugby League chief executive Nigel Wood is working around the clock to try and rescue Salford City Reds.

Wood even spent Christmas Day and Boxing Day talking to potential new investors in an 11th hour bid to prevent the cash-strapped Super League club from going out of business.

Wood remains confident in his Save Our Salford quest, despite the dramatic collapse of the joint £1.5m Peel Holdings-Salford City Council rescue package. Wood is locked in talks with Peel and security firm Securitas who are believed to be keen on investing to keep the long-established club afloat.

The pressure is on as the RFL hierarchy want the situation resolved by mid-January ahead of the February start of the new season.

Meanwhile, Salford fans continue to raise money in an effort to clear the club's debts.

Shirley Bradshaw, chairperson of the Forever Reds group,told M.E.N. Sport: “We have to help all we can and make more people aware that their help is also needed.”

Former Salford player Stefan Ratchford has put his Warrington Grand Final shirt up for auction on line to boost the rescue fund that now stands at over £20,000.

Well -

If true it is quite encouraging - but we have had so many faalse dawns now ...

Thank you.

A week ago I thought this would be finally it when a big club hit the tracks, however things look a lot better for Salford and SLE can start to think about organising themselves better as well, if they don't already know they need to shape....

#19 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

RFL have changed theirminds :lol:
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#20 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,277 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

However, the cleared the licence applications of Crusaders, Wakefield, Salford and Castleford so I'm not sure how much due diligence they did into the appliations they were reviewing.

Its a comparison, not a level.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users