Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

News on Salford

strictly red topic

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#181 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Brilliant news. Not just the cash but this sounds like a guy who knows and loves the sport and it sounds a perfect fit for him as well as the club.

Great to hear that Veivers and Long may finally get some well deserved good news. Veivers in particular strikes me as an impressive fella.

#182 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

And to those who say that expansion needs to be "grass roots up", can we not envisage a scenario where a similar investor gives the same gushing commentary about a start-up SL franchise in an entirely new area? "I never dreamed I would one day be owning a Super League team in Birmingham/Bristol/Edinburgh/wherever but I'm excited and determined to make this work" etc. I maintain that this sport sells itself and all we need to do is be modern in our approach for similar investors to attach themselves to SL clubs, whether existing or otherwise. Give them a franchise in a strong non-saturated area and they will come.

Magnates like their sport team playthings. Most don't even expect to make a return, all they want is for their toys to be fully functional and shiny and as competitive as the next magnate's. Make it happen, RFL.

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 10 January 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#183 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

I'm hard pressed to think of any good side that's been put together in 12 months? At very short notice Nobby built a Crusaders and Agar built a Trinity both of whom made the play offs. Were these good sides? Or were they poor sides who simply did better than their equivalents scrubbing around outside the top half of the table.

I think that's a little on the mean side. They were obviously teams well coached and motivated who made it to the top half of the table. Nothing wrong with that and in the case of Wakey it brought the fans back and gave Agar a base for 2013. This year will be the proof of the pudding.

I'm very encouraged by the report in the paper on the takeover. Horse breeding is a game you do simply for the love of producing a winner, never to make money. If he goes about it in the ight way and recruits good people as he seems to want to do then Salford may rise again. I hope he has good connections, or develops them, at the BBC down the road. That will be invaluable.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#184 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

This racehorse magnet can do as he pleases, but if I had millions (this is where we need a fantasy RL forum so stuff like this can go on there) I'd want to at least embrace the whole of Salford AND Manchester INCLUDING Oldham, Swinton and Rochdale and work towards supplying this massive conurbation with it's own Superleague club to be proud of, and in doing so put back down some co-ordinated roots for our game across the piece - even into the areas RL has "never gone before".

Agreed and it sounds to me that this is exactly his plan Parky. And could even the staunchest Salfordian deny him the right to a little rebranding and refocus at this stage of the game? Sounds to me that this may well be what he has in mind but we'll see.

#185 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Gateshead were put together in no time. The ability to pay transfer fees is the key point here - would Hughes say no to a cheque for Sarginson, would Cas say no to a cheque for Clark? Wigan may be prepared to sell Hock, the NRL will still have surplus talent. The Championship has some real gems... Plus loan signings. It's not impossible. Not easy, but not impossible.

#186 chrisl1

chrisl1
  • Coach
  • 587 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Ooh Matron!!!! Pass me the pills Nurse - Just hope it wont end in tears :-

Can't see why it should end in tears. From reading the artcle it looks as though he knows what he is doing and has looked into things.

#187 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Chris you haven't been a Salford fan we always expect it to go wrong and Segovia & I are like minded there.

Looking at that interview fills me with hope, the fact he already had Chalmers looking in OX and NZ for the best people to assist the club in rebuilding is the single best news I've heard in years. I expect Simms will go, and a new breed of CEO will rebuild the club to face the future.

Rebuilding the team can wait, Salford fans will have to learn everything won't happen at once but if the backroom is showing the improvement then the on field will follow.

Just wish the deal was concluded and the future can start. The future will be Red.

Then I wake up, the deal goes South and come Feb the WUO is made.

#188 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Can't see why it should end in tears. From reading the artcle it looks as though he knows what he is doing and has looked into things.

I'm not too exstatic about getting old but it beats the alternative. Beggars can't be choosers. Never look a gift horse in the mouth ect etc. Salford have two choices, it seems to me, get the money and have a future, whatever pitfalls there might be down the road, or DIE.

#189 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I see no more Mileage in "Manchester" than "RED Devils" however maybe if the club call themselves manchester united Red Devils RLFC that will attract a few new sops to come along and see what the fuss is about. however if they see Salford lose by 44 to Catalans again they too may not come a second time.

Oh dear, now we're pulling out that other favoured old chestnut: Manchester United RLFC!

Anyone remember how long United's basketball team lasted? Or how many supporters were drawn to the women's football team before they pulled it?

Come to think of it, didn't Paris St.Germaine have a Super League team at one point? I'm guessing that was a rip-roaring success too.

Why don't St Helens rebrand to Liverpool too? Maybe Paul McCartney might come to games. You'd expect the gates to be tripled either way!

My only very minor reservation about tearing up Salford's 139-year history and adopting the same name as the local football club, what about those of us who choose to support the club because it does represent our home city? What about those people who don't follow Man Utd? Will there also be a Man City RLFC? Will Man Utd mind us using their brand? Will it not confuse any potential fans*?

**Oops! Silly me! I forgot about that other rollicking success story Quins RL! Silly old me!

#190 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,348 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Gateshead were put together in no time. The ability to pay transfer fees is the key point here - would Hughes say no to a cheque for Sarginson, would Cas say no to a cheque for Clark? Wigan may be prepared to sell Hock, the NRL will still have surplus talent. The Championship has some real gems... Plus loan signings. It's not impossible. Not easy, but not impossible.

Guilty for being "a little on the mean side", agreed - "not easy but not impossible".

It may however be genuinely impossible to break into the top six.

#191 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

I maintain that this sport sells itself and all we need to do is be modern in our approach for similar investors to attach themselves to SL clubs, whether existing or otherwise.

I'd respectfully suggest that pretty much all the recent evidence suggests that theory isn't remotely accurate.

#192 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,348 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Oh dear, now we're pulling out that other favoured old chestnut: Manchester United RLFC!

Only in the context of countering the argument rebranding works, and only in the context I disagree as much as you do, did you not read my post and equally negative view of such nonsense??

If your not going to read my posts properly then I won't read your column in the league express next week. In fact I have cancelled the subscription already. ;)

#193 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Sounds to me that he doesn't really know a great deal about RL, but that he see's the potential in Salford. A club that can be purchased relatively cheap, and with some smart leadership and investment, reaps some financial benefits for the owner and help push the club forward. The fact that the guy is into Dubai in a business sense could be big for Salford and RL in general.

Its all starting to sound quite positive, and i hope it comes off for Salford.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#194 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Only in the context of countering the argument rebranding works, and only in the context I disagree as much as you do, did you not read my post and equally negative view of such nonsense??

If your not going to read my posts properly then I won't read your column in the league express next week. In fact I have cancelled the subscription already. ;)

Sorry, busy at work so have to skim read the longer posts!

#195 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

My only very minor reservation about tearing up Salford's 139-year history and adopting the same name as the local football club, what about those of us who choose to support the club because it does represent our home city? What about those people who don't follow Man Utd? Will there also be a Man City RLFC? Will Man Utd mind us using their brand? Will it not confuse any potential fans*?

Maybe there just aren’t enough of you?

Did you form the Salford club? Were you present when it was? Why does the sport owe you (or anyone) anything more than a Super League team within reasonable travelling distance?

#196 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

So let's just be clear about what you're saying:

* there aren't enough fans or potential fans in Salford (population circa 230,000)
* It's impossible to get anyone from outside the city to Support Salford.
* if the club changes its name to Manchester fans will be clamouring to support them, even though they didn't follow other unfamiliar sports like Basketball etc.
* The club can afford to write off the majority of its 5000+ existing core supporters because you have a 'hunch' that there are more people out there just waiting to support a club called 'Manchester.'

Is that about the top and bottom of it?

Edited by Pottsy, 10 January 2013 - 04:30 PM.

#197 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Cracking post on the Good Doctors Facebook page :-

Ben Williamson
If you buy Salford, I will give you my wife for half an hour,my dog and a pair of Tex Evans tie ups!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

#198 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Ben Williamson
If you buy Salford, I will give you my wife for half an hour,my dog and a pair of Tex Evans tie ups!!

:D

The article posted earlier (where was it from?) certainly gave cause for optimism.

All the good stuff on Salford has already been said by Gingerjon, Red Willow and Amber Avenger.

I never lived in Salford, living in south Manchester (yuppie turf, full of people like Severus and Amber Avenger) for five years. The appetite for RL was never there - people were more likely to pledge allegiance to Arsenal than know what rugby league was.

While Salford may not have a city centre as such, it has a strong identity and Salfordians consider themselves as such. I worked with many, brilliant folk. Salford hav alwys reminded me of Warrington in the 90s and early 00s: everyone knows who they are and where they play, but they carry a 'losers' tag which attracts a knowing 'tut' even from those who should be their target support. A decent Salford side who made a cup final or went on a decent run would suddenly unearth a tonne of supporters who hadn't been near the Willows for donkey's years. Just like Warrington did in 2009.

The MAnchester idea is daft and always has been. I like DeadShotKeen, he posts with his heart and a lot of what he says is true. But often he reaches the wrong conclusion, and that is the case here. If anything, the best thing for Salford would be for a REAL Manchester club to exist as a competitor and stoke some local rivalry. I think Salford fans would say that local interest was higher when you had the likes of Swinton and Oldham near the top of the game. Salford have craved a derby for ages, and for a few years have treated Warrington as such. I'm sure Red Willow would say some of the best games in recent years for Solly have been turning us over, there was always a great atmosphere for those games.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#199 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Ben Williamson

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That will probably flush out a few more investors, if I had the money I'd certainly be interested, what type of dog is it

#200 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Rebranding? What a waste of time and money!

However, if Dr Koukash provides the money to make Salford successful, he can change their name to anything he wants and I wouldn't mind.

There is one exception, however. If he were to choose the Manchester United RLFC name, I would walk away! As a lifelong City fan, I just couldn't bring myself to cheer for a team called United. I would choke on the very sound of it. :)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.