strictly red topic

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#221 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Well of course it isn't. but people keep suggesting changing the name to another City's name.... which will never work!!!

And they'll keep doing the same thing on every thread.

#222 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

1. Salford needs to raise its game locally

2. It also needs to do its best to appeal to people in neighbouring areas such as Trafford and Manchester.

1. A local club for local folk eh? :lol:

2. So what about people in Swinton, Ashton, Oldham, Wythenshaw, Stockport, Bury, Heywood, Bolton, Sale, Macclesfield, and those up at Burnley, Blackburn and Nelson and plenty of other places that may want to watch Superleague or may be inspired by pro RL to form clubs.

SL clubs do best when they widen their appeal as far and wide as they can. The Motorway links to the stadium lead to many places in a relatively short period of time...

#223 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

Did you not read the second comment?

#224 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Changing the Reds location name from Salford to Manchester isn't going to be the magic fix that see's the club go from where it currently is to suddenly being a powerhouse of Super League. As mentioned before, all the change will do is alienate existing fans, and I doubt very much it will bring any new fans.

Before Salford considers trying to take over Manchester, they need to get their own shop front right. Currently as a club, they do not portray a professional image and clearly based upon their financial plight, they are managing themselves in a professional manner. Hopefully this new investor can start to bring in some of these required business processes to turn that part of the club around.

That said not everything is bad at Salford, they have a great new ground, they have history, they have a still loyal supporter base which is of a reasonable size, and more promising is they have a significant latent supporter base just waiting to be drawn back to the club for some reason. If they can become more competitive on the field, improve their front office, as a club they have some significant potential to turn around.

Outside of improving the business processes (and being honest, some of this could just be because of lack of adequate resources, the people involved might all be quite competent.), my only other suggestion for the club would be to get someone to tweak their logo... never been a fan, always felt it looks a bit amateurish, something simple like what Gazf did would work well for the club (http://gazf.info/wor...3_ESL_SAL_0.jpg)
Posted Image

#225 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,349 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Both sides of this argument are wrong, because neither side has anything to back up their standpoint.

Changing their name to Manchester may bring in more people.
It may bring in more people but drive away existing people.
Staying as Salford may put off Manchester people
Maybe being Salfchester may be the ideal deal.
Selling Salford in Manchester may do the business.

Nobody knows, but Salford as Salford playing in Salford hasn't worked for years and that's a fact we do know.

The old expression springs to mind, if you always do what you have always done then you will always get what you always got.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#226 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Did you not read the second comment?

Did you not see the smiley ;) I know you know, I just articulated your vision a bit better....

Many on here will want Salford ring fenced from "Championship areas" or assume Soccer/RU areas don'r have RL fans.

#227 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Both sides of this argument are wrong, because neither side has anything to back up their standpoint.

Nobody knows, but Salford as Salford playing in Salford hasn't worked for years and that's a fact we do know.

I'd love to see actual figures of who out of the c. 4,000 regular salford fans lives where, and where were they born.

On here you have to say things a million times but Cas Vegas one said all the Cas fans he knew didn't come from Castleford.

There is a danger that out of 4,000 Salford fans more than half could come from outside salford.

In fact given Salford is a contrivance and the actual area is small - being one of five towns, I bet the majority of the 4,000 were NOT born in Salford nor live there.

That won't matter. The name "Salford" shouts out "Superleague rugby" as well as "Wigan" does. The problem is the name Salford is currently synonymous with "losers". The names irrelevant the poor performances are the problem.

Edited by The Parksider, 12 January 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#228 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

The old expression springs to mind, if you always do what you have always done then you will always get what you always got.

Excellent point, but when the core support of failing RL clubs are so traditional and parochial, clubs won't risk upsetting the old inadequate audience to try to get to a new audience.

There's no need to change the name but there is a need to break out all across Manchester and up every road leading to the M60.

#229 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

If you want a club in Manchester in SL, support the Mancunians, find them a multi-million pound investor and see if they can go up the leagues.

You can't just expect another club to take away it's identity against its will. If it is true that the Salford name is holding them back (no evidence), then they'll find their level. If it's not true, sky's the limit.
Posted Image

#230 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,349 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

If you want a club in Manchester in SL, support the Mancunians, find them a multi-million pound investor and see if they can go up the leagues.

You can't just expect another club to take away it's identity against its will. If it is true that the Salford name is holding them back (no evidence), then they'll find their level. If it's not true, sky's the limit.

Both Manchester and Salford are University cities, surely someone should be sponsoring one, the other or both to perform some research into what is holding the two cities back as far as RL is concerned and what future strategy may work.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#231 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Some of you might enjoy reading the Sale Sharks messageboard on rugbynetwork - I believe it's called open rebellion! I'm just helping to stir a little.

#232 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Wellsy, as always, the voice of common sense ;)

#233 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Wellsy, as always, the voice of common sense ;)

#234 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Both Manchester and Salford are University cities, surely someone should be sponsoring one, the other or both to perform some research into what is holding the two cities back as far as RL is concerned and what future strategy may work.

Yes, because that's a real burning iss

#235 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Yes, because that's a real burning issue for both cities. Maybe you should get Eric Pickles on the case.

#236 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Some of you might enjoy reading the Sale Sharks messageboard on rugbynetwork - I believe it's called open rebellion! I'm just helping to stir a little.

I'll have a l

#237 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

The sale of the club is to be formally announced on Monday apparently.
If true it will a Lazarus like turnaround from a month back when it looked like the end of the road for 130 yr old club.

Name changes - Catchment areas are a mute point , Salford for all the effort & money Wilkinson ploughed in have lurched from drama to crisis year on year, the perception of the club has always been one of has-been strugglers, minnows. since the Snape years ofthe 70's
Now is an ideal time to alter the perception of the club , not with a badge change or name change but with a change in belief from boardroom to terrace. With enough money spent wisely in the right areas . Salford can develop talent & blood talent , it's been difficulty in hanging onto them that been the problem.

Edited by Middleman, 12 January 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#238 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

I'll have a look. What's your name on there?

#239 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

The sale of the club is to be formally announced on Monday apparently.
If true it will a Lazarus like turnaround from a month back when it looked like the end of the road for 130 yr old club.

Name changes - Catchment areas are a mute point , Salford for all the effort & money Wilkinson ploughed in have lurched from drama to crisis year on year, the perception of the club has always been one of has-been strugglers, minnows. since the Snape years ofthe 70's
Now is an ideal time to alter the perception of the club , not with a badge change or name change but with a change in belief from boardroom to terrace. With enough money spent wisely in the right areas . Salford can develop talent & blood talent , it's been difficulty in hanging onto them that been the problem.

They did win a few trophies early in the Wilco era.

#240 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

It would be wonderful if they did get over the line, without having gone bust like virtually every other club would have done in their circumstances. By my reckoning that would only leave Cas without access to deep pockets. We could increase the cap, keep our best players, sign marquee players again...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users