Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

News on Salford

strictly red topic

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#281 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Just need this to finally happen, then we can get season tickets on sale and recruit a few players.

Nice move by the Doctor appointing Wilkinson as President, regardless of the mistakes he may have made Wilkinson should be remembered for his efforts since 1982.

Edited by Red Willow, 18 January 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#282 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

Just need this to finally happen, then we can get season tickets on sale and recruit a few players.

Nice move by the Doctor appointing Wilkinson as President, regardless of the mistakes he may have made Wilkinson should be remembered for his efforts since 1982.

Totally agree re John Wilkinson. This will be a load off his mind.

The Doctor is indeed shrewd. In Racing he uses many Trainers - not just the one - and I wouldnt be surprised to see more appointments at the club.

#283 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

This sounds extremely positive and all in rugby league should be very grateful for what Dr.Koukash appears to be doing.He has taken his time,taken professional advice,seems to know exactly what he is getting himself into and appreciates there will be no over night solution.Anyone who expects a full turnround in less that 3/4 yrs is kidding themselves.Equally,many people should be grateful for what Wilkinson has done over the years to keep the Club going.

There are plenty of people who tell others what must be done,unfortunately they are invariably wrong and/or don't have the ability/resources to impliment the necessary actions.I for one will be delighted if the Club can be stabalised for a year,some progress made the following season and a solid,viable Club emerges the following year.

Some very good people/owners appear to have come into rugby league over the past 18mths - Hull,Wakefield,Bradford and potentially Hull KR and Fev.

Hoping for good news on sponsors and looking forward to a successful World Cup.

#284 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

I was impressed by Dr Marwan Koukash in the press conference, he comes across really well.
I just hope they don't sign too many overseas players and focus on developing players for the future.
Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#285 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

In my opinion it was Lowe who laid the foundations of the great Wigan team of the late 80s & early 90s. At 66, isn't he a bit younger than Sir Alex Ferguson? I think hwe may well be on the way to a new and sucessful era fir the Reds.

You're not in your prime until 60+ (at least I bl**dy well hope so!).

#286 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,863 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

So this will leave Cas as the only team in SL without a wealthy backer - not looking great for us. Maybe now is the time to revisit their business plan
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#287 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

Potentially great news for Salford. I never believed all parties would come together without administration.

He has other motives imo, but I believe the RL club is a long term part of his plan and not a pawn just to get what he really wants

I seriously hope this comes off and the people of the area support the club in far greater numbers going forward - well chuffed for Sir John as well.

#288 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,770 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Nice gesture, honouring Wilkinson for his years of hard work. Chuffed for the club, but as was said earlier, don't expect an instant turnaround. 2013 will probably be another rough old season for the Devils, but at least they only have to concentrate on improving, instead of just surviving.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#289 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

I have no problems with having a tough season if we are building for the future.

There are a few players that simply won't last the season at Salford (excluding the kids) A couple of forwards look like their bodies are either broken or not up to the SL season.

Being a Salford has always been a rollercoaster ride at the best of times but this last year as been the biggest of the lot. I didn't expect to escape the Winding Up Order before Dr Koukash became involved and still expected it to go wrong at the last minute.

Just hope we can get everything ready for next season, issue squad numbers, sell season tickets and have the Red shirts ready for the opening day!

#290 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

So this will leave Cas as the only team in SL without a wealthy backer - not looking great for us. Maybe now is the time to revisit their business plan

Whilst the Bulls' owner is certainly 'rich' by my standards, I don't think he comes near to the proper 'rich'.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#291 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,973 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Interview with the Doc

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#292 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,863 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Whilst the Bulls' owner is certainly 'rich' by my standards, I don't think he comes near to the proper 'rich'.

Yes fair point - I guess the point I was making is that Salford, Cas and Wakey are very similar in may respects. Wakey go into admin and come out smelling of roses, Salford have a winding up petition filed against them and (seemingly) come out smelling of roses.Also, London are surviving on average crowds below 3,000

Pre Christmas, the board at Cas came out and begged and pleaded for us all to buy a membership to ensure the financial future of the club. Many have done this (nearly 3,500 I believe) despite the worst season in many many years but still not quite sure where we go if we don;t get to 5,000

It begs the question if this was the right move - Salford sent out a rallying cry with the Save our Salford campaign asking for donations basically and had a paltry attendance at a pre-season fixture - are they worth saving? Somebody thinks so. I really don't buy this RL needs a club in Manchester nonsense

Cas own a lot of land - perhaps the business plan should be "F*ck it, let's go into administration, clear our debts and crack on - somebody must want us for the land value if nothing else"

I genuinely fear for our club and am honest enough to say that there is an element of the green eyed monster in my post when a club like Salford (similar to Cas in so many respects) can attract this sort of backer.

It will be interesting to see how the next 12 months pan out
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#293 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Very sensible and level headed.

#294 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Yes fair point - I guess the point I was making is that Salford, Cas and Wakey are very similar in may respects. Wakey go into admin and come out smelling of roses, Salford have a winding up petition filed against them and (seemingly) come out smelling of roses.Also, London are surviving on average crowds below 3,000

Pre Christmas, the board at Cas came out and begged and pleaded for us all to buy a membership to ensure the financial future of the club. Many have done this (nearly 3,500 I believe) despite the worst season in many many years but still not quite sure where we go if we don;t get to 5,000

It begs the question if this was the right move - Salford sent out a rallying cry with the Save our Salford campaign asking for donations basically and had a paltry attendance at a pre-season fixture - are they worth saving? Somebody thinks so. I really don't buy this RL needs a club in Manchester nonsense

Cas own a lot of land - perhaps the business plan should be "F*ck it, let's go into administration, clear our debts and crack on - somebody must want us for the land value if nothing else"

I genuinely fear for our club and am honest enough to say that there is an element of the green eyed monster in my post when a club like Salford (similar to Cas in so many respects) can attract this sort of backer.

It will be interesting to see how the next 12 months pan out

If Cas do manage to get a backer, or sort themselves out financially by some other means, it could make things very interesting come the next round of applications.

I hope they do manage to sort themselves out, same as with Salford and any other club that is struggling.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#295 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

30 years!! How much do you reckon he's put in over that time?

#296 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Depends what you mean by put in.

As well as Director loans etc the first team have over the years been sponsored by Cebora Whilst as far as I am aware not actually a Wilkinson Star company I think he had the distribution rights from the Italian comapny so this could have been his money as well.

The Willows has also sponsored games and subsided the hospitality side of the company.

A conservative estimate of £100,000 per season proping up the company adds up over 30 years.

#297 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

You're not in your prime until 60+ (at least I bl**dy well hope so!).

Me too.

#298 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

I have no problems with having a tough season if we are building for the future.

There are a few players that simply won't last the season at Salford (excluding the kids) A couple of forwards look like their bodies are either broken or not up to the SL season.

Being a Salford has always been a rollercoaster ride at the best of times but this last year as been the biggest of the lot. I didn't expect to escape the Winding Up Order before Dr Koukash became involved and still expected it to go wrong at the last minute.

Just hope we can get everything ready for next season, issue squad numbers, sell season tickets and have the Red shirts ready for the opening day!

Were the RFL instrumental in attracting Dr Khoulash to invest in the Reds. If so, they deserve our praise in saving this club who could go on to big things if this investor does what he says he is going to do.

#299 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Great news. Fingers crossed until the final announcement on Monday.
The good doctor seems like quite a good guy - spoke to the team before and after the match and praised them for not shipping out. Doing the right thing by John Wilkinson etc.

Is Andrew Chalmers being lined up for MD?

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#300 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Great news. Fingers crossed until the final announcement on Monday.
The good doctor seems like quite a good guy - spoke to the team before and after the match and praised them for not shipping out. Doing the right thing by John Wilkinson etc.

Is Andrew Chalmers being lined up for MD?

I think I saw a post somewhere that its Ed Farish, a former finance officer of Australia's National Rugby League.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users