RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

News on Salford

strictly red topic

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#301 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

I was impressed by Dr Marwan Koukash in the press conference, he comes across really well.
I just hope they don't sign too many overseas players and focus on developing players for the future.

It does sound as if we've been blessed with a star taking us over.

I know what you mean about overseas players, but we are very lightweight in the pack (and have been for a while) and because there are almost no English forwards available just now, we will have to recruit from overseas. I do hope, though, that this would be a short-term fix and that we can sort out our junior development, which seems to have been very poor for a long time.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#302 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I think we only have one overseas player at present, Shannon McPherson, and I'm not sure if he can play all season. The pack is very lightweight. Wouldn't mind an experienced half back to interchange with Theo Fages. Really could be exciting over the next few years.

#303 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

I think I saw a post somewhere that its Ed Farish, a former finance officer of Australia's National Rugby League.

Never heard of him sad to say, but if he loves the game and understands the pennies them probably a good choice.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#304 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Read elsewhere:

Salford Racecourse was always known by the Jockey Club as Manchester** Racecourse, even though it's official title was Castle Irwell RC, then they closed it down. Although I have seen newspaper listings with Castle Irwell rather than Manchester at the title.

I Believe it was know as Manchester to differentiate it from an earlier RC at Barnes, where one of the pre-coursers of Salford RFC* played before they dug it up for the Manchester Ship Canal (Also in Salford).

*Before NUFC (Northern Union)

**I think there was another "Manchester" RC, in the southern end of M/cr but can't be bothered researching further tonight

Edited by Bleep1673, 18 January 2013 - 07:45 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#305 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Were the RFL instrumental in attracting Dr Khoulash to invest in the Reds. If so, they deserve our praise in saving this club who could go on to big things if this investor does what he says he is going to do.

I think McManus ( from saints) may have some influence in this

#306 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

I think McManus ( from saints) may have some influence in this

If so, good for him. I guess he dosn't subscribe to the 10 team SL.

#307 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

If so, good for him. I guess he dosn't subscribe to the 10 team SL.

He subscribes to a 12 team one! However, I'm quite sure he doesn't want to see ANY rugby league club go under, regardless of which league they may be playing in. After all, he saved Saints from administration so clearly he doesn't have a problem with the notion of a rich person saving a rugby league club.

All I know about the connection is that Koukash has been the guest of McManus at Saints on occasion.

Edited by Saintslass, 18 January 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#308 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

This is fabulous news. Graham Lowe will be a wonderful addition to SL. He lives and breathes TGG.
What excites me is that we have no sense of how big this coud be, given that there has never been a cashed up, savvy RL club so close to Manchester. My suspicion is that there is massive latent support, and that Salford could be a force in the land.
They could have Hock for a year if they like.

#309 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Let's hope the good Doctors first job is to rip out the blue seats

#310 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 362 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

So we've got rich backers at most clubs, let's get rid of the salary cap and have some fun with the game.

#311 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

If this gets completed it'll be massive for Salford and will belatedly relaunch the club in THEIR new stadium!

Sale Sharks will have been rubbing their hands at the thought of acquiring primary status in a brand new stadium and now they'll be tenants of Salford RLFC.

Poetic or what!

#312 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

the RFL have been the lead player in getting the doctor..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#313 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

I think we only have one overseas player at present, Shannon McPherson, and I'm not sure if he can play all season. The pack is very lightweight. Wouldn't mind an experienced half back to interchange with Theo Fages. Really could be exciting over the next few years.

Salford don't have any quota players. McPherson has exemption, Nero has an EU passport and Fages is club trained (I think)

#314 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Read elsewhere:

Salford Racecourse was always known by the Jockey Club as Manchester** Racecourse, even though it's official title was Castle Irwell RC, then they closed it down. Although I have seen newspaper listings with Castle Irwell rather than Manchester at the title.

I Believe it was know as Manchester to differentiate it from an earlier RC at Barnes, where one of the pre-coursers of Salford RFC* played before they dug it up for the Manchester Ship Canal (Also in Salford).

*Before NUFC (Northern Union)

**I think there was another "Manchester" RC, in the southern end of M/cr but can't be bothered researching further tonight

This is different to the new racecourse that's been mooted in recent years (in Boothstown).

Castle Irwell is now a university campus and has been for many years. Any posters who've played uni rugby over the years will know it as the venue of the SRL end of season 7s.

#315 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 808 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

If this gets completed it'll be massive for Salford and will belatedly relaunch the club in THEIR new stadium!

Sale Sharks will have been rubbing their hands at the thought of acquiring primary status in a brand new stadium and now they'll be tenants of Salford RLFC.

Poetic or what!

Have I missed something? Are Salford the new landlords now?

Edited by The Daddy_merged, 19 January 2013 - 09:47 AM.

#316 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Have I missed something? Are Salford the new landlords now?

The deal rests on the Doctor buying the Stadium & thats why fans are sensibly trying not to get excited;

#317 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

The deal rests on the Doctor buying the Stadium & thats why fans are sensibly trying not to get excited;

Isn't the real target the potential income streams that come from ownership ? I expect a cash strapped local authority will eagerly transfer their interest . Peel Holdings maybe different.

According to Granada TV last night, the deal will be done by monday night............

#318 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,165 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

So we've got rich backers at most clubs, let's get rid of the salary cap and have some fun with the game.

That's a good way of making the rich backers less rich rather quickly!
Posted Image

#319 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 937 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Isn't the real target the potential income streams that come from ownership ? I expect a cash strapped local authority will eagerly transfer their interest . Peel Holdings maybe different.

According to Granada TV last night, the deal will be done by monday night............

I read him saying in the MEN that a club can only be sustainable if it owns the stadium. At the same time on the MEN there is an article about the 'horror' cuts taking place in Salford Council which would suggest the council is open to offers for non essential assets such as part ownership of a recently built sports stadium.

I'm not sure the whole deal would have gotten this far had there not been a decent probability of the Dr purchasing some or all of the ground.

#320 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Yes fair point - I guess the point I was making is that Salford, Cas and Wakey are very similar in may respects. Wakey go into admin and come out smelling of roses, Salford have a winding up petition filed against them and (seemingly) come out smelling of roses.Also, London are surviving on average crowds below 3,000

Pre Christmas, the board at Cas came out and begged and pleaded for us all to buy a membership to ensure the financial future of the club. Many have done this (nearly 3,500 I believe) despite the worst season in many many years but still not quite sure where we go if we don;t get to 5,000

It begs the question if this was the right move - Salford sent out a rallying cry with the Save our Salford campaign asking for donations basically and had a paltry attendance at a pre-season fixture - are they worth saving? Somebody thinks so. I really don't buy this RL needs a club in Manchester nonsense

Cas own a lot of land - perhaps the business plan should be "F*ck it, let's go into administration, clear our debts and crack on - somebody must want us for the land value if nothing else"

I genuinely fear for our club and am honest enough to say that there is an element of the green eyed monster in my post when a club like Salford (similar to Cas in so many respects) can attract this sort of backer.

It will be interesting to see how the next 12 months pan out

I think you maybe should be carefull what you wish for.

All assets will be used by the Admin to pay the debts, so if the ground and its environs are owned by the club they may well go for other purposes and though a tanking economy clearly means the number of potential buyers may will be limited, there are still 'sharks' out there - supermarkets, for example, who will buy land just to prevent someone else from doing so. In admin terms, the Bulls were 'fortunate' in not owning the ground or much else other than the stands within the ground, so there was little, if anything, to sell off and the actual company value was very little. It sounds like Cas are not so 'fortunate' so admin may well be something to be avoided.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users