TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

News on Salford

strictly red topic

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#321 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

So we've got rich backers at most clubs, let's get rid of the salary cap and have some fun with the game.

I think a close look at football, Chelsea in particular, knocks that idea on the head.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#322 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

So we've got rich backers at most clubs, let's get rid of the salary cap and have some fun with the game.

That sort of strategic thinking may well gain traction on the Wigan RLFans board, but all of the wealthy backers we have involved in our game have long since moved on (including Wigan's, I should add). I don't think we'd see clubs paying David Vaealiki 200-300k a year these days.

Edited by Just Browny, 19 January 2013 - 12:17 PM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#323 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

That sort of strategic thinking may well gain traction on the Wigan RLFans board, but all of the wealthy backers we have involved in our game have long since moved on (including Wigan's, I should add). I don't think we'd see clubs paying David Vaealiki 200-300k a year these days.

Ok let's just carry on as we are now and watch the game slip further and further towards mediocity in all fields.

#324 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Ok let's just carry on as we are now and watch the game slip further and further towards mediocity in all fields.

The key surely is for the RFL to push clubs into being more responsible with their money. Fundamentally I think that has been the problem. With the rise in the Aussie dollar and the massive bucks deals going on there just now, that should stop the influx of journeymen imports into this country - thankfully - and therefore clubs will be forced into looking at the talent we have at home first which, in turn, should save them a lot of cash. Those who have yet to do so may also give some thought to developing their own talent and perhaps putting in some effort to reach out to and work in partnership with amateur clubs in their localities or even outside them. There is bound to be talented young rugby league players in this country but it has been some time since clubs outside of the Championships have actually taken the time to look for them.

#325 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

clubs will be forced into looking at the talent we have at home first which, in turn, should save them a lot of cash. Those who have yet to do so may also give some thought to developing their own talent. There is bound to be talented young rugby league players in this country but it has been some time since clubs outside of the Championships have actually taken the time to look for them.

I think Super league scouts everywhere they can with several clubs chasing the same "talent".

It needs more kids playing especially around the M60 and yes your right, Salford would be an asset to SL and the game if they promoted junior RL and looked at this long term...

#326 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

What RL needs is a competition in which all clubs are capable of winning games, not one in which one or two buy all the better players and don't give the others a look in. You may have forgotten, but in the mid nineties, the fact that the one existing professional club then had all the best players and was winning a far from healthy amount of matches and 'pots',and that fact was probably the biggest driving force in setting up SL in the first place. It was an unsustainable situation then and it is unsustainable now.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#327 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

What RL needs is a competition in which all clubs are capable of winning games, not one in which one or two buy all the better players and don't give the others a look in. You may have forgotten, but in the mid nineties, the fact that the one existing professional club then had all the best players and was winning a far from healthy amount of matches and 'pots',and that fact was probably the biggest driving force in setting up SL in the first place. It was an unsustainable situation then and it is unsustainable now.

Whilst at the same time the international game was bouyant and the publicity generated outside the M62 corridor was far, far greater than now.

#328 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Whilst at the same time the international game was bouyant and the publicity generated outside the M62 corridor was far, far greater than now.

That's very true, you could talk about the game outside the heartlands and not have to explain what it was first.

#329 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

I regularly discuss rl with folk in Edinburgh. Not really an issue.

Maybe people should just watch the game and enjoy it rather than moaning about things which arent a major issue.

#330 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,080 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

The International game benefitted from cross code stars. There's no way we could be in a position to do that again given the money in union.
Posted Image

#331 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

The International game benefitted from cross code stars. There's no way we could be in a position to do that again given the money in union.

It won't be long till we see a few top level NZ/SA unionites recruited to the NRL imo.

#332 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Ok let's just carry on as we are now and watch the game slip further and further towards mediocrity in all fields.

If we want to get away from mediocrity we need to analyse why the game is becoming mediocre and address that. This can be discussed on the Licensing/P & R thread.

However as far as Salford go having a rich man at the helm may help them rise above the mediocrity they have delivered SL for years (just a fact not a dig). I hope he does that not by simply outbidding currently more vibrant clubs for their players, but re-builds the game around the M60.

He's not even on board yet and I want him to rescue RL in and around Manchester/Salford. A tad unfair, but we won't get away from mediocrity just by inflating wages.

#333 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

If we want to get away from mediocrity we need to analyse why the game is becoming mediocre and address that. This can be discussed on the Licensing/P & R thread.

However as far as Salford go having a rich man at the helm may help them rise above the mediocrity they have delivered SL for years (just a fact not a dig). I hope he does that not by simply outbidding currently more vibrant clubs for their players, but re-builds the game around the M60.

He's not even on board yet and I want him to rescue RL in and around Manchester/Salford. A tad unfair, but we won't get away from mediocrity just by inflating wages.

Well said. And the point about the much higher profile in the past was because it was on the BBC every week. My wife's father used to watch it without fail in NI of all places.

Other posters have noticed Cliff Mitchelmore mentioned it (twice) on the 1963 Big Freeze programme. Again this is because the BBC were losing games to broadcast!

You can't have it both ways, BBC or proper money from SKY.

Now back to Salford - anyone hearing if there will be an announcement tomorrow or doesn't the good Doctor do it like that?

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#334 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Good day, Parksider, a rare moment of agreement between us.

#335 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

You can't have it both ways, BBC or proper money from SKY.

Now back to Salford......

You'd be welcome on t'other thread to develop that point...

Yes indeed - back to Salford

#336 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

From the Star: Dr Marwan Koukash is determined to turn crisis club Reds into a dynasty.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#337 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

From the Star: Dr Marwan Koukash is determined to turn crisis club Reds into a dynasty.

Impressive, how much is he expected to pay for the stadium?

#338 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Impressive, how much is he expected to pay for the stadium?

build cost was 18 Million ( 15 Million for the Lego , 3 Million for the road(s) ) A bit more than a 3-bed condo in Hyde Park Corner.
http://www.buckingha...ity_stadium.pdf

the story is he's offered less .. and the whole deal is wrapped up in it .

He's also after a stake in the remaining retail development land around it. again to provide future income outside of rugby activities.
http://menmedia.co.u...trafford-centre

#339 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

The key surely is for the RFL to push clubs into being more responsible with their money. Fundamentally I think that has been the problem. With the rise in the Aussie dollar and the massive bucks deals going on there just now, that should stop the influx of journeymen imports into this country - thankfully - and therefore clubs will be forced into looking at the talent we have at home first which, in turn, should save them a lot of cash. Those who have yet to do so may also give some thought to developing their own talent and perhaps putting in some effort to reach out to and work in partnership with amateur clubs in their localities or even outside them. There is bound to be talented young rugby league players in this country but it has been some time since clubs outside of the Championships have actually taken the time to look for them.

Tick.
Ed Farish - General Manager of Finance and Compliance at Gold Coast Titans , is linked to the CEO job at Salford if the takeover goes through , English Born , he was ex Head of Finance at the NRL , and sent into Gold Coast in 2011 to sort out their Mess . Judging by the look of Horror on the Dr's face when he was asked about Salford's finances , they are looking to keep a tight reign on future spending.

The Titans were very good at creative accounting in a sport that invented rubbery figures with attendances. Crowds at their two home games have been estimated at only two-thirds the registered figures. Losing has a lot to do with the poor attendance. The club is the current NRL wooden spooner and has won one game from four this year.
They have also lost the support of some of the Gold Coast community. The tradesmen who have not been paid for work at the Centre of Excellence have families and friends, with former players living on the Gold Coast insisting this is a big factor in the downturn in crowds. The Titans would argue they pay the builders, and it is the responsibility of the builder to pay the subcontractors. However, the creditors extend from the Titans' cheergirls to the Tax Office.
The man employed to sort out this mess is Titans chief financial officer Ed Farish. Farish was the NRL director of finance but resigned to take the Gold Coast job.
He was highly regarded at the NRL for his capacity to find money in one budget and use it to meet a need in another. If Big Ed can divest the Titans of their property arm, he should be able to make the football club viable. And continue rugby league's fine tradition of defying the laws of economics.

#340 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

I regularly discuss rl with folk in Edinburgh. Not really an issue.

Maybe people should just watch the game and enjoy it rather than moaning about things which arent a major issue.

That's great, but I find it difficult to have a decent conversation about the game in Manchester and Preston.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users