RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

News on Salford

strictly red topic

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#381 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 937 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Announcement start of next week apparently, taking over the club and buying out the council's stake in the stadium.

http://www.mancheste...to-seal-1239058

#382 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,360 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Announcement start of next week apparently, taking over the club and buying out the council's stake in the stadium.

Fantastic news, just needed an RFL edict to order Hull and Leeds to give Holdsworth and Moon back.

#383 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,623 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

I understand that Dr Koukash has achieved all his objectives in the negotiations, including the club owning a share in the stadium, and that a press conference will be held next Tuesday or Wednesday which could also include some new players being revealed.

Exciting times for Salford supporters. I hope they get a big turnout against Wigan on 1st February.

#384 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Excellent news.

"All sporting champions need to have their own home." I like his attitude.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#385 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Terrific news,but please let the good Doctor get the foundations established first,rather than just expecting him to buy half a dozen expensive players.The man deserves a sell out for the first game.

#386 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

This will be the best news since 2002.

Hope Season Tickets are on sale next week.

Could be an even bigger roller coaster than it has been over the last few years.

#387 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Fantastic news, just needed an RFL edict to order Hull and Leeds to give Holdsworth and Moon back.

I'd have Moon back anyday but Holdsworth well Hull are welcome to him, he drove me mad last year with this "confidence player" tag. He was quite simply awful, unable to take the line, poor passing skills. Think he had about 6 good games and one of those was for the exiles

#388 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Saints, Wigan, Warrington, Widnes and now Salford, all solid well run clubs, futures bright this side of the hump.

#389 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,360 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Terrific news,but please let the good Doctor get the foundations established first,rather than just expecting him to buy half a dozen expensive players.The man deserves a sell out for the first game.

spot on.

#390 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Great news for Salford and the game. Though I'm assuming the well established practice of Salford rolling over whenever Wakey are in town will be unaffected by these developments. :D

#391 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

This will be the best news since 2002.

Hope Season Tickets are on sale next week.

Could be an even bigger roller coaster than it has been over the last few years.

RW, have there been any suggestions locally indicating that he might be interested in taking over Sale, or investing in them?

#392 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

There is a lot to like about this. Happy days indeed. It wouldn't be the worse thing in the world for Wigan to obligingly slip to defeat to herald the new era.

#393 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Saints, Wigan, Warrington, Widnes and now Salford, all solid well run clubs, futures bright this side of the hump.

A bit premature but the smoke signals are good and if it all comes off it's up to fans to rally behind and show how much they want a RL club in the area.

#394 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

RW, have there been any suggestions locally indicating that he might be interested in taking over Sale, or investing in them?

No signs at all, it seems Mr McManus at Saints did a great job of selling the better code to him.

I hope he sees Sale as income generator only.

From the rumours doing the rounds the Council have sold their interest in the stadium to him, they may ahve owned some of the land in the area as well.

He seems to have long term vision for this project, just hope he gets the business running well. The team is almost secondary this season for me. I want the off field problems and under funding to be tackled first.

#395 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

He seems to have long term vision for this project, just hope he gets the business running well. The team is almost secondary this season for me. I want the off field problems and under funding to be tackled first.

That's correct - it's a long term project.

After all it only took Leeds about 105 years. :ph34r:

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

#396 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 937 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

No signs at all, it seems Mr McManus at Saints did a great job of selling the better code to him.

From the rumours doing the rounds the Council have sold their interest in the stadium to him, they may ahve owned some of the land in the area as well.

I'm pretty sure the council have sold its share in the facility, and looks like the top brass at Salford Council have given themselves a reward for doing so! Trebles all round as they say in Private Eye.

http://www.mancheste...workers-1241253

FWIW can't see him touching Sale, he would end up with serious indigestion!

The Dr is going to have plenty to keep him and his resources occupied sorting the Reds out over the next 18 months/ 2 years, not sure why he would want to get involved with the Sharks who let's face it are probably going down and could well face a challenge to get straight back out of the RFU Championship (currently without sponsor!). The Sharks would get a decent parachute payment, but there would surely be an exodus of the better playing talent, trimmed down squad of mainly younger players, much along the lines of Leeds Carnegie. In such a scenario, the big issue would be whether Sale could afford to continue playing at Barton. But that is going too much down the cross code forum route. So I'll end the speculation there.

#397 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Can you spell out what they are expected to deliver and how they are to achieve it?

#398 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,152 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Can you spell out what they are expected to deliver and how they are to achieve it?

Well they seem to have had a major part in finding this new investor and introducing him to Salford, so the first thing they have delivered ( from extinction) is the Salford club. Tha's a good start.

#399 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Well they seem to have had a major part in finding this new investor and introducing him to Salford, so the first thing they have delivered ( from extinction) is the Salford club. Tha's a good start.

I agree entirely. It was the great future for the game that CM believes they are missing I was interested in.

#400 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if the team is secondary in his plans too. Despite all the triumphing he is after all a business man in it to make money. He's hardly likely to do that from Salford but form the land, potential retail developments and possibly the stadium..........? Be interesting to see how things, eg ownership of the stadium, are set up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users