Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

News on Salford

strictly red topic

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#401 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if the team is secondary in his plans too. Despite all the triumphing he is after all a business man in it to make money. He's hardly likely to do that from Salford but form the land, potential retail developments and possibly the stadium..........? Be interesting to see how things, eg ownership of the stadium, are set up.

He's said he isn't in it for the money, he has enough of that and other income streams. He said he is in it for sporting reasons, he likes to win.

No reason to not think that he's genuine and won't be a big boost for both Salford & the game.

#402 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,935 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if the team is secondary in his plans too. Despite all the triumphing he is after all a business man in it to make money. He's hardly likely to do that from Salford but form the land, potential retail developments and possibly the stadium..........? Be interesting to see how things, eg ownership of the stadium, are set up.

obviously it's all moot if you believe he is being dishonest but all he has talked about is making the club sustainable by diversifying income. Lets wait and see what ownership structure is created, if the stadium and related land is owned by the actual club with the good doctor as majority shareholder then ill be optimistic he is in it to make a successful club. We will soon see
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#403 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Think you are totally right here BK would anyway love to unload SS he has had enough.Great news for Salford and the Dr just adds to the current list of fantastic owners that SL clubs now have which i predict will result in more pressure on the RFL to deliver (Which wont happen) so will lead to a breakaway down the line some day.CM

By deliver I presume you are talking about RFL generated commercial revenue? I think there are two sides to that argument, of course the RFL needs to work harder on generating commercial revenues both for SL and the wider game. However, it is incumbent on the individual clubs to run themselves in a sustainable manner and to increase their own commercial revenues, something that a number of clubs have failed to do (nothing new there though).

I think slowly but surely, things are coming together. Whilst the RFL might be struggling to find a headline sponsor, if the organisation can increase overall revenues into the game by other means then that is progress. I think in the medium term the link ups will greatly benefit the game in that SL clubs should be much more involved in the sport at Championship level and below where there are undoubtedly a good number of players who could do it in SL, given the opportunity. Slowly but surely the SL clubs seem to be sorting themselves out (inevitably there will be some pain along the way and some are a more complex proposition) and there seems to be a fair bit of solidity in the Championship.

And the new season starts next weekend, which means we can all stop speculating about this and that and concentrate on the rugby at last!

#404 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

I'm pretty sure the council have sold its share in the facility, and looks like the top brass at Salford Council have given themselves a reward for doing so! Trebles all round as they say in Private Eye.

http://www.mancheste...workers-1241253

FWIW can't see him touching Sale, he would end up with serious indigestion!

The Dr is going to have plenty to keep him and his resources occupied sorting the Reds out over the next 18 months/ 2 years, not sure why he would want to get involved with the Sharks who let's face it are probably going down and could well face a challenge to get straight back out of the RFU Championship (currently without sponsor!). The Sharks would get a decent parachute payment, but there would surely be an exodus of the better playing talent, trimmed down squad of mainly younger players, much along the lines of Leeds Carnegie. In such a scenario, the big issue would be whether Sale could afford to continue playing at Barton. But that is going too much down the cross code forum route. So I'll end the speculation there.

I'd guess that if he he was interested in buying Sale he would wait until the summer sale when it will be clear what division they will be in next season. :)

#405 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

He won't be buying sale, they are not short of suitors, plus they lose far far more dosh than any RL team

#406 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,300 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

If he was interested in buying Sale then I'd imagine that he would not have bought Salford.

#407 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

He won't be buying sale, they are not short of suitors, plus they lose far far more dosh than any RL team

Are you sure they're not short of suitors I though BK had been trying to get them off his hands for a while.

#408 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

Yes,he's been trying to sell them for over two yrs,without any takers.However,if he were to withdraw his support and they were to be threatened with Adminstration,then I think you'd find Frank Cotton and Steve Smith of Cotton Traders come in to rescue them.They have lost £6 mill in the last four seasons and apparently are on track for a bigger loss this season,after their various high profile4 signings and various sackings.

#409 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Not many years back, an in-law of mine was MD of a company that effectively owned Sale and they lost money hand over fist. The company were very happy to lose that particular asset/millstone around the kneck..
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#410 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Yes,he's been trying to sell them for over two yrs,without any takers.However,if he were to withdraw his support and they were to be threatened with Adminstration,then I think you'd find Frank Cotton and Steve Smith of Cotton Traders come in to rescue them.They have lost £6 mill in the last four seasons and apparently are on track for a bigger loss this season,after their various high profile4 signings and various sackings.

Thanks that answers a question i asked on the cross code forum. If kennedy was to sell to Cotton and Smith, they would still have have to have a business plan to stop the club leeking the amount of money it does. No sports club the size of Sale can continually lose over a million a pound a year, year on year. I would suspect that if Cotton and Smith did take over the club, they would restructure, and reduce the debt, and then try sell the club on again for a profit.

#411 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

I believe Sale only attracted just over 3,000 to their fixture yesterday.. Leeds Carnegie are playing at Otley for a couple of fixtures and Newcastke are in the 2nd division. RU a successful nationwide professional game, I don't think so. Salford are a better bet for the good Doctor than Sale.

#412 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Sale`s wage bill will be horrendous with some high profile players in Cipriani, Gray, Peel & Powell & their gates are falling drastically. Salford would do worse than offer Cipriani & Powell a contract on a pay as you play basis as it would be self financing in terms of Rah Rahs attending for a nosey.

#413 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Who are these suitors?

#414 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Not many years back, an in-law of mine was MD of a company that effectively owned Sale and they lost money hand over fist. The company were very happy to lose that particular asset/millstone around the kneck..

Interesting.

Which company was that?

#415 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

I believe Sale only attracted just over 3,000 to their fixture yesterday.. Leeds Carnegie are playing at Otley for a couple of fixtures and Newcastke are in the 2nd division. RU a successful nationwide professional game, I don't think so. Salford are a better bet for the good Doctor than Sale.

Was not many years ago when those three clubs were supposed to be a massive threat to league. Didn't happen.

We have a fantastic game, focus on our game and attract good business people to our game and we'll do alright. There is a reason that league has survived and grown over the years despite #### poor management at all levels for the best part of our 117 year history.

#416 MikeTommo

MikeTommo
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Press conference called for midday tomorrow. Deal finally done it seems. Lets hope it's just the start of something very exciting for us in the future.

#417 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

I hope both Salford and Wigan fans turn out in good numbers on friday night.It would be nice to think that a fair number of neutrals would also pop along to encourage the Doctor.

#418 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

All sounding very postiive, plans for the future etc.

http://www.mancheste...to-arms-1275313

#419 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 781 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Buried halfway in that piece
Reds are set to announce the signing of Liam Foran and Vic Mauro from the Manly Sea Eagles club in Australia.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#420 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I also think it's good that he gets some ownership of the stadium so that there should be no threat of Sale Sharks taking over and charging the Reds rent, more likely to be the other way around now.