Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

News on Salford

strictly red topic

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#21 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Here is the lastest offering from the Manchester Evening News.

http://menmedia.co.u...-salfords-hopes

Coach Phil Veivers has issued a New Year rallying call for mass solidarity among all parties to try and secure Salford Reds’ future.

Players, coaches, club bosses and fans must remain positive, stay calm and stick together according to Veivers who is busy preparing his team for Sunday’s pre-season clash with Swinton at Barton.

Veivers said it is an ideal opportunity for the Reds to rally, show their fighting spirit and hopefully benefit from their pleas for help.

Veivers told MEN Sport: “It really is all about solidarity – it’s so important and so vital. It’s the key to everything We are back in training and ready to go Sunday.

“We are busy preparing for the new season.

“We have to stick together until we know something for definite about the club’s future.’’

With potential new investors likely to be in attendance at Sunday’s game, the Forever Reds supporters group feel it is vitally important for fans to turn out in numbers and show just how much they care for the club.

Chair person Shirley Bradshaw, who is among those spearheading the campaign to keep Reds afloat, has appealed for a sizeable show of strength.

Coach Veivers has also stressed the importance of a good turnout.

“We need to issue our own big positive statement of intent at the game on Sunday,’’ said Shirley. “This is a perfect opportunity for people to really get behind the club and prove a point to new investors. The message we must send out is to show how much we care for our club.

“A good crowd could just be the thing needed at this stage to persuade someone out there to become involved and take the club forward.

“When Salford played their final ever game at the Willows, a 10,00 crowd turned out for what was an historic occasion. That gate proved the interest and the passion is there. We desperately need another positive response from people on Sunday.

“Our message to the local community is to quite simply get down to Barton and show your support.

“We also have the perfect opportunity to show the Rugby League, Super League and likely investors there is genuine interest and potential in Salford.

“There is too much heritage involving the Salford club to simply let things be lost.

“We have to do everything in our power to help.’’

Shirley is also hoping that many fans from neighbouring clubs will also pledge their support at the weekend’s game.

Forever Reds have already raised close on £30,000 in cash pledges from people willing to help the club.

The group will, however, seek assurances from the RFL that any money they raise will go directly to aiding the club’s current cash flow problems.

“This has got to happen,’’ added Shirley. “People have been so generous so far. Money raised must be used right away.

“We have an auction coming up in Broughton later this week. The Salford players have been so supportive of the cause and for this they are to be commended.

“Adrian Morley has put up a shirt and boots for auction. Many former players are also doing their bit. There has been a tremendous response right across the board and all we as fans can do is do our best.

“The really big opportunity for the fans to show just how much they want to see the club carry on will come on Sunday.

“It is more than just a pre-season game for us – it could well have a very big bearing on the club’s future and good support is vital.

“Salford needs support right now and we must protect one of the city’s greatest assets.’’

Fans wishing to support the Forever Reds cause should contact: The Salford City Reds Foundation Appeal, c/o 51, Cheetham Road, Swinton

I hope there is a good crowd and it is a decent match.

#22 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

I think they can have my entrance fee this week. I have never visited this stadium before. I try not to have anything to do with Salford council if I can help it. I passed it once on a Mersey ferry on the Manchester Ship Canal! I was impressed with Swinton last Saturday, but I expect Salford will still be too strong. I hope its a decent crowd.

#23 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

I think they can have my entrance fee this week. I have never visited this stadium before. I try not to have anything to do with Salford council if I can help it. I passed it once on a Mersey ferry on the Manchester Ship Canal! I was impressed with Swinton last Saturday, but I expect Salford will still be too strong. I hope its a decent crowd.

You will be very welcome - I hope it is a good game.

It will not be easy for Salford as we have many problems and Swinton will want to win big style :D - we got beat by Leigh at home this time last year .... :rolleyes:

#24 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

An interesting & encouraging article from Manchester EN. I just hope this is genuine this time, I really do - here is the link or read below;

http://menmedia.co.u...eds-ray-of-hope

A potential new buyer for Salford City Reds could come to the club’s rescue on Monday – the same day Reds’ bosses are due to contest a court winding-up order.

A possible buyer for the Reds is meeting senior officials from the Rugby Football League and Salford City Council for preliminary talks at a secret location regarding a takeover and major new investment in the club.

The court hearing in Manchester relating to unpaid taxes and money that is allegedly owed to two former players is likely to be adjourned for two weeks.

That would obviously be beneficial to any new investor as they ponder on if buying Salford is both a feasible, realistic and viable proposition.

MEN Sport understands that the new investment group have a good track record within professional sporting circles but are newcomers to rugby league.

Cheshire businessman Lawrence Jones could be a possible investor having previously considered buying the stadium naming rights.

Senior officials from the RFL have refused to disclose the identity of the interested party who will also meet representatives from Peel Holdings and the club during Monday’s talks.

Negotiations are still said to be at a very delicate stage but the RFL remain hopeful of a positive outcome.

However, no formal buy-out has yet been agreed.

The sole purpose of Monday’s talks is to make the investor aware of the whole situation surrounding Reds’ future.

Any likely new investor will possibly have to work closely with land owners Peel Holdings.

A takeover could take another fortnight.

The new Super League season starts next month. The interested investor will be fully informed of Salford’s current situation, the club’s potential and to discuss the scale of any takeover.

RFL chief executive Nigel Wood has again played a key role in attracting this fresh investment interest in the City Reds.

Wood stands by the view ‘there is a solution’ to the Salford crisis. He spoke with the interested party over Christmas.

The interested buyers have just returned home to this country following their own overseas festive break and fixed Monday’s meeting with Nigel Wood.

Contrary to certain media reports, Salford’s new investors will not be JD Sports.

Owners John Wardle and David Makin have strong links with RL kit suppliers Kooga but they are not looking to buy a professional club.

Security firm Securitas, who were linked with Salford when Peel and Salford Council came close to taking control, will remain onboard as the City Reds’ shirt sponsors.

Securitas have also shown an interest in pursuing other commercial sponsorship ventures during the Super League campaign.

Meanwhile, Reds play Swinton tomorrow at Barton in a pre-season friendly with the Championship part-timers having joined the fight to save their neighbours.

Traditionally the lower division outfits receive the proceeds from pre-season matches against Super League opposition but Swinton are to donate a substantial slice of the gate receipts to aid their hosts’ survival bid.

Swinton boss Steve McCormack, a former head coach of the Reds, said: “It’s sad to see the situation Salford are in It’s only a couple of seasons ago that Salford helped us out by letting us play at the Willows so I would ask every Swinton fan to turn up for the game.”

#25 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

1,851 there today. Is there a real genuine interest in saving Salford? Even if they get through this, are things ever gonna get better for them?

#26 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

With today's crowd, I don't think fans have voted with their feet and this could be the end........so I guess if the RFL don't step in their gone.... Sincerely hope there saved and fans do go and support them.... Salford need fans and investment!!!

#27 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Not necessarily an excuse but promotion of the game today was woeful

#28 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,930 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Where would the money to promote it come from?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#29 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Pulled out of Leigh friendly again

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#30 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

With today's crowd, I don't think fans have voted with their feet and this could be the end........so I guess if the RFL don't step in their gone.... Sincerely hope there saved and fans do go and support them.... Salford need fans and investment!!!

i doubt warrington would have got many more for a friendly against swinton
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#31 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

More atmosphere on the moon and I had one pint of Guinness in a plastic pot for £4. Salford scored some good tries but next to no passion from the fans. I am pretty sure that my first visit to the City of Salford stadium will be my last.

#32 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

So would you say that Salford fans didn't know about this game?

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Firstly, I suspect we would - and secondly, if it was a game in the middle of a campaign to keep the club alive, and maybe even the last chance to even see their team, then I guarantee we would!

#34 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

More atmosphere on the moon and I had one pint of Guinness in a plastic pot for £4. Salford scored some good tries but next to no passion from the fans. I am pretty sure that my first visit to the City of Salford stadium will be my last.

Most Salford fans would have had all of their passion and emotion squeezed out of them by recent events.
The £4 you paid goes to the stadium.
Many people would have given money to SOS and after what is either a Christmas period/holiday period/2 weeks holiday many people have spent their money and have no desire to spend any more when they can save it for a few more weeks.Salford supporters have a home game against Wigan - should they survive - and then games in France and at Leeds,in Super League fixtures,which they may consider more exciting and worth spending their money on.
There was also the information given out that only one stand was to be opened,so spectators could be turned away from the stadium; therefore only those who had pre-purchased tickets should attend.
I am really surprised another individual should 'knock' Salford.No,really ! :rolleyes:

#35 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Don't talk soft!!

Firstly, I suspect we would - and secondly, if it was a game in the middle of a campaign to keep the club alive, and maybe even the last chance to even see their team, then I guarantee we would!

Spot on Dave, the season we left Wilderspool the crowds were poor, but the last game was all but a sell out.

Salford need to vote in numbers.

#36 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,930 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Don't talk soft!!

Spot on Dave, the season we left Wilderspool the crowds were poor, but the last game was all but a sell out.

Would you have though when you were on your britches arris at the dump known as Wilderspool?

Edited by Padge, 06 January 2013 - 08:45 PM.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Don't talk soft!!

tbf the crowds werent that poor. We averaged 7k at Wilderspool at the end.

#38 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,930 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

tbf the crowds werent that poor. We averaged 7k at Wilderspool at the end.

At the end yes but in 85/86 you could only manage 3.5k, friendlies manage about 25% - 50% of the regular attendance, do the maths.

Edited by Padge, 06 January 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#39 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

At the end yes but in 85/86 you could only manage 3.5k, friendlies manage about 25% - 50% of the regular attendance, do the maths.

not sure what the relevance of quoting crowds from 27 years ago is Padge.

#40 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,930 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

not sure what the relevance of quoting crowds from 27 years ago is Padge.

Not sure of your comparison with Warrington now and Salford now is either, top of the table team on the up compared to bottom of the table and falling.

Edited by Padge, 06 January 2013 - 09:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users