Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

News on Salford

strictly red topic

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#41 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,300 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Not sure of your comparison with Warrington now and Salford now is either, top of the table team on the up compared to bottom of the table and falling.

Are you speaking to Southstand Loiner or me?

#42 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Are you speaking to Southstand Loiner or me?

It was you I quoted.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#43 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,300 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

It was you I quoted.

well I didnt compare our crowds to Salfords. I agree it would be silly.
I answered a point about Warrington getting no more than the 1800 today.
For some bizarre reason you started to talk about Warrington's crowds at Wilderspool and quoted crowds from 27 years ago. What was your thinking behind that? It really was a bizarre tangent.

#44 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

i doubt warrington would have got many more for a friendly against swinton

Firstly, I suspect we would

What am I supposed to think?

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#45 Viking Ste

Viking Ste
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

If you are a potential investor attending today's game and only 1800 people turn up, you are not likely to be keen to part with your hard-earned money any time soon. My stance on this is the same as it was with Bradford, we need to stop propping up failing entity's and let them start again from the bottom of the pyramid.

Give the hardworking Championship clubs a chance to prove what they can do in the top-tier.

#46 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

If you are a potential investor attending today's game and only 1800 people turn up, you are not likely to be keen to part with your hard-earned money any time soon. My stance on this is the same as it was with Bradford, we need to stop propping up failing entity's and let them start again from the bottom of the pyramid.

Give the hardworking Championship clubs a chance to prove what they can do in the top-tier.

I'm all for that, as long as Paul Danials is on the board of the club and can 'magic' up 8,000 supporters. In reality how many are ready to go today and replace Salford (there is a rumour that Fev may soon maybe) and last the course of three years.

#47 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,934 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

They'll prove nowt without a heck of a lot of investment.

Even then who is there to buy to make a competitive team up.

You of all people should know the problems.

Even with Mr. O'Connor you came bottom, have struggled to recruit both last year and this, and there's no Widnes kids to step up to the plate.

#48 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

I'm all for that, as long as Paul Danials is on the board of the club and can 'magic' up 8,000 supporters. In reality how many are ready to go today and replace Salford (there is a rumour that Fev may soon maybe) and last the course of three years.

And that's British Rugby League's major weakness.

The gulf between the haves and have nots has been allowed to widen to such an extent that, when one of the haves suddenly find that they haven't really, none of the have nots are anywhere near capable of stepping up.

#49 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

The gulf between the haves and have nots has been allowed to widen to such an extent that, when one of the haves suddenly find that they haven't really, none of the have nots are anywhere near capable of stepping up.

The alternative is to hold back the haves and stifle the game to hold them back to the level of the have nots.

We now have a situation where a club that was a have not have faught long and hard to join the haves, they may or may not have got there, but they know what they have to do and are doing their best to do it.

Other clubs who want to join the SL club should take note.

Let's force clubs to catch up and not pull back others down to 1960's level's

Edited by Padge, 06 January 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#50 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,934 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

The gulf between the haves and have nots has been allowed to widen.

Not quite what happened.

The gulf was created by the necessity to take on a contract for an elite division in which there was no ability to give a share to those not in that division.

#51 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

The alternative is to hold back the haves and stifle the game to hold them back to the level of the have nots.

We now have a situation where a club that was a have not have faught long and hard to join the haves, they may or may not have got there, but they know what they have to do and are doing their best to do it.

Other clubs who want to join the SL club should take note.

Lets forse clubs to catch up and not pull back others.

Or, let's be proactive and help them, a stronger 2nd tier that keeps the 1st tier on it's toes is vital to the health of the game.

#52 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Or, let's be proactive and help them, a stronger 2nd tier that keeps the 1st tier on it's toes is vital to the health of the game.

That's what's happening.

#53 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

Where would the money to promote it come from?

Some things (posters etc) cost money and it's arguable how effective they are.

Other things (social media, press releases, lobbying the media) cost nothing but time, effort and a bit of imagination

#54 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Firstly, I suspect we would - and secondly, if it was a game in the middle of a campaign to keep the club alive, and maybe even the last chance to even see their team, then I guarantee we would!

There hasn't been a coordinated or sustained campaign other than that carried out by a handful of fans

#55 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,639 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

Not sure of your comparison with Warrington now and Salford now is either, top of the table team on the up compared to bottom of the table and falling.

You've always said clubs shouldn't depend on a good team to increase attendances. Warrington increased theirs significantly long before we had any success.

That showing at Salford is woeful.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#56 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

Would you have though when you were on your britches arris at the dump known as Wilderspool?

Old dump versus brand new stadium, nothing to discuss as completes opposites.

So I can't offer you an answer!

#57 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,934 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

You've always said clubs shouldn't depend on a good team to increase attendances. Warrington increased theirs significantly long before we had any success.

That showing at Salford is woeful.

Warrington increased their crowds from 7,000 to 10,000 over a year when they dropped out of the play off places. I have no doubt intimidating dumps put people off and new stadia turn people on.

But undoubtedly winning RL draws the fans as well, as does a sense of "we're going places" and under Moran Wire were, fans knew that, they aren't daft (are you?).

Salford had low crowds from being an uncompetitive RL team for 35 years and a new ground only added 500 fans.

As for the poor turnout for the Swinton game why should anyone give up their sunday for a game between two down and nearly out clubs? If Rugby League wants good crowds it needs to offer a good product not rely on emotional blackmail to get a crowd.

Equally 10,000 Salford fans aren't daft, they know it will take a deal with a big investor who has the "going places" effect to get the crowds back, not a survival plan.

Edited by The Parksider, 07 January 2013 - 07:55 AM.

#58 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

so is today d-day for salford?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#59 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,934 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

Supposedly it was but unlike the Normandy landings "D-days" tend to keep getting put back.

#60 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Hi Spud - I think the Winding Up Hearing is at 10:30 ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users