strictly red topic

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#81 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

No two cases are ever totally alike so let's hope you're right.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#82 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,567 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

One thing that really pee's me off

Why hasn't other owners or chairperson donated money to Salford like they did for the Bulls!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd like to ask a question if someone could kindly answer

Have the RFL offered to do anything for the Salford club??

I know they cant buy the ground, but have they offered Salford any help

#83 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

they are helping them find a buyer/investor

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#84 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

One thing that really pee's me off

Why hasn't other owners or chairperson donated money to Salford like they did for the Bulls!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I put five euro in a charity bucket for a cancer charity the other day. What a disgrace I didn't give the same amount to every other charity operating within the EU.

I'd like to ask a question if someone could kindly answer

Have the RFL offered to do anything for the Salford club??

I know they cant buy the ground, but have they offered Salford any help

They've been working around the clock, as has been widely reported. I understand Nigel Wood was negotiating a deal on Christmas Day.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#85 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

I understand Nigel Wood was negotiating a Meal on Christmas Day.

Corrected your typo.

#86 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

There is supposed to be a "big" meeting between the club and "investors" at some secret location this afternoon .... don't hold your breath. :rolleyes:

http://www1.skysport..._medium=twitter
HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#87 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,567 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

So nothing from the other chairpersons / owners and the RFL

No wonder league is years behind other sports sponsorship deals when we can't help our own.

#88 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,567 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

I put five euro in a charity bucket for a cancer charity the other day. What a disgrace I didn't give the same amount to every other charity operating within the EU.

They've been working around the clock, as has been widely reported. I understand Nigel Wood was negotiating a deal on Christmas Day.

Thanks for a humour post, a club are on the brink like the bulls were and no gives a flying book about Salford

#89 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,567 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Millionaire racehorse owner Marwan Koukash has been revealed as the mystery businessman involved in talks aimed at saving Salford City Reds.

Dr Koukash attended a meeting at a secret location with development company Peel Holdings and Salford Council, the joint landlords of the Salford City Stadium.

The City Reds' potential saviour is originally from Kuwait and made the majority of his fortune from worldwide property development; his main offices are less than 10 minutes away from Haydock Park racecourse.

However, it is believed Dr Koukash, who has lived in Liverpool for 30 years, is not likely to go it alone.

No official comment has yet been made but talks are expected to resume later in the week, once Peel - who are set to hold the key to any rescue plan - and the council have taken stock of their positions.

Salford say they need around £600,000 to survive the new season but a rescue plan collapsed in December when local councillors voted against a proposed £750,000 loan, which Peel were prepared to match.

Could be great news for Salford , fingers crossed

#90 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Corrected your typo.

RIGHT THAT'S IT I'M TELLING THE MODS

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#91 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for a humour post, a club are on the brink like the bulls were and no gives a flying book about Salford

What more needs to be said? The RFL are putting all their effort in behind the scenes to get decent investment for Salford, and I would love them to find a good backer who can put in the structures to make Salford a big club. If I were to make a recommendation to any new owners, I'd start with a thorough evaluation of Steve Simms' contribution down the years.

The RFL, I imagine, aren't shouting their mouths off because the people they are negotiating with don't want that and/or still haven't made their minds up. But let's stop the nonsense about 'noone giving a stuff'.

Equally, other RL folk won't be rushing in to hand over thousands of pounds if some investors are going to come in anyway. If it gets to the point where Salford are about to cease trading, I'm sure they'll ask for help and the game will do its bit. That hasn't happened as far as I'm aware.

#92 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Could potentially be great news for Salford if true, and if it all comes off. At the very least you'd imagine someone like that wouldn't tolerate a haphazard approach to running a sports club, which would mean at least Salford would be run properly..

Fingers crossed for all the Reds fans.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#93 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,567 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

What more needs to be said? The RFL are putting all their effort in behind the scenes to get decent investment for Salford, and I would love them to find a good backer who can put in the structures to make Salford a big club. If I were to make a recommendation to any new owners, I'd start with a thorough evaluation of Steve Simms' contribution down the years.

The RFL, I imagine, aren't shouting their mouths off because the people they are negotiating with don't want that and/or still haven't made their minds up. But let's stop the nonsense about 'noone giving a stuff'.

Equally, other RL folk won't be rushing in to hand over thousands of pounds if some investors are going to come in anyway. If it gets to the point where Salford are about to cease trading, I'm sure they'll ask for help and the game will do its bit. That hasn't happened as far as I'm aware.

That's what I was looking for when I asked the question.

Much appreciated, nice response and again much appreciated

#94 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Looks like a really positive development. Dr Koukash looks to have a great CV. Made his own money, background in professional sport, although with 4 legs, property development and he only lives 10 minutes from Haydock racecourse so Salford is close by.

Really hope this comes off so that Salford can have the backing to try and realise their very great potential.

#95 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Several clubs in the Championship are progressing nicely, Leigh have a new stadium, Halifax have a very credible stadium now its been completed, Fev have been playing catch up all around. Clubs are beginning to realise that they need to have certain things in place and are concentrating on acheiving what is necessary off field.

You can build a club in the Championship that is fit for SL, what you won't do there is build a team for SL. The three year license gives clubs who are promoted the opportunity to build a competitive team WHEN they get into SL and thus they do not have to attempt it before hand.

Agree as (nearly) always. Having looked closely at the playing resources when you get in SL there's very little available to build with, and what you do manage to build your neighbour will take away from you.

Edited by The Parksider, 07 January 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#96 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,122 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Agree as (nearly) always. Having looked closely at the playing resources when you get in SL there's very little available to build with, and what you do manage to build your neighbour will take away from you.

The thing is that once you have built a club that is SL ready and you get in SL, do what Betts and O'Conner have done, in your first season find your feet, don't go all out to win the title. As owner and coach they will have learned a lot over the last season, Betts will have learned who can hack it and who can't and thus where he really needs to strengthen and O'Conner will now know his core support level and how much money he has to spend (if he spends it or not is another matter).

I think a big part of the secret is to forget trying to sign superstar players, go for a coach who players respect and would want to come and play for, a coach who can sell a vision to players of where the team he is building is going.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#97 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

http://www.sthelenss...saviour/?ref=mr

#98 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

The thing is that once you have built a club that is SL ready and you get in SL, do what Betts and O'Conner have done, in your first season find your feet, don't go all out to win the title. As owner and coach they will have learned a lot over the last season, Betts will have learned who can hack it and who can't and thus where he really needs to strengthen and O'Conner will now know his core support level and how much money he has to spend (if he spends it or not is another matter).

I think a big part of the secret is to forget trying to sign superstar players, go for a coach who players respect and would want to come and play for, a coach who can sell a vision to players of where the team he is building is going.

is that the same widnes that made a massive offer to lockyer last year?

#99 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,122 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

is that the same widnes that made a massive offer to lockyer last year?

Couldn't have been that massive he didn't take it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#100 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Well if it is the Doctor it could be very exciting for the City Reds. I am not holding my breath but my word what amazing news and the very fact that it has been allowed to be given out to the press must be a small positive at least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users