strictly red topic

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#101 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Spud - the Salford situation is - as Burke says above - very flexible. The Directors debt will be converted to shares but the Bank will want their Guarantees cleared. I would estimate any buyer would have to find a million to square the position and in return look forward to 2 years Sky Income AND a team (which needs strengthening admittedly) on the park. It could be an attractive deal for someone like the Doctor as unlike Horse Racing he will have Guaranteed monies coming in.

#102 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Official Club Notice

Salford City Reds can confirm that the result of this morning’s court hearing was a further adjournment until Monday 4th February 2013.

This additional time has been granted following careful consideration of the current position regarding new investment into the business.

All concerned parties agreed that there was a real possibility that a positive conclusion could be reached and that this would be preferable to the execution of the lodged winding up petition against Salford Football Club 1914 Ltd.

Reds Chairman John Wilkinson said: “Everyone is working every available hour to ensure that the on-going negotiations progress forward into an outcome that secures the future success of the Salford Rugby League Club.

We appreciate what a stressful time this is for staff, players and supporters and thank you all for your patience and understanding.

“What today’s ruling provides is the time needed to secure the investment and we are grateful for the opportunity to do so. One thing is foremost in our minds - Salford’s rugby club must continue for the fans of today to enjoy and for the generations of fans to come.”

The club will endeavour to inform all stakeholders of progress at the earliest opportunity.

Salford City Reds would also like to thank all fans and sponsors who attended yesterday’s pre-season friendly, your support for both clubs was wonderful and was very much appreciated.

Salford City Reds
media release

[Note: this does not appear to have been posted as it is here - the official club statement - although the facts do seem to be generally known.
If you have already seen it somewhere else or before page 5 of this, please let me know and I will ask a moderator to take it off. HJ]

Edited by Honor James, 07 January 2013 - 11:29 PM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#103 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 819 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

Could be an excellent move for Salford, the article below shows that when Mr Koukash invests in sport, he expects to have winning teams and for things to be done to a high standard, hope the talks reach a successful conclusion. http://www.ownerbree...ditor-may-2011/
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#104 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

[Note: this does not appear to have been posted as it is here - the official club statement - although the facts do seem to be generally known.
If you have already seen it somewhere else or before page 5 of this, please let me know and I will ask a moderator to take it off. HJ]

It was on the local BBC news tonight so I would say that its generally known.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#105 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

If this comes to pass, I am very happy for Salford and happy that the Manchester metropolis still has a top tier RL team. This news, together with new investors at Bradford, Halifax,Featherstone and Hull KR seems to be heralding a new round of investors interested in the game.

Surely none of us can be too upset at these developments.

#106 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,506 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

If this comes to pass, I am very happy for Salford and happy that the Manchester metropolis still has a top tier RL team. This news, together with new investors at Bradford, Halifax,Featherstone and Hull KR seems to be heralding a new round of investors interested in the game.

Nobody will be certainly not me.

But steady on. You yourself started the "only two restaurants" stuff about Mr. Khan, Mr. Abbot and Mr. Khan have put significant stakes in but again steady boy....

Catalans will turnover £6M this year and win nowt. Fev and Halifax will turn over £1M, will their new investors offerings be adequate to take the clubs significantly forward? Please do explain.

Mr. Larvin wants to lavish £15M on HKR and buy the best players, and the allegedly mega rich Salford owner may flash the cash too. Who do you think they'll buy in and from where to make their bids for Superleague glory.

I'm no pessimist to your optimist, I'm a realist, and this lot will excite me if they spend their money on developing the game of rugby League in their areas and get people watching and kids playing.

There's a real problem lavishing millions of pounds on clubs who can't spend that money on their first team because there's a salary cap, and a distinct lack of quality players.

Sheik Mansoor and Roman Abramovich couldn't make an impact in Superleague.

#107 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

Parky

There are so many things to spend money on outside the team at Salford.

Marketing, for one, youth development in the Greater Manchester area, none of these are covered by the cap. generating our own income is a must.

I suspect some deal with Peel for property deals is actually behind this talk but at this stage it really doesn't matter.

#108 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

I suspect some deal with Peel for property deals is actually behind this talk but at this stage it really doesn't matter.

I would concur that this could hinge on Peel allowing him on board in their property development plans at Barton. Salford could well be a cheap way in to a lucrative deal. Whatever his deeper motives, it will be great news if it happens as Dr Koukash is very highly regarded in horse racing and puts his money where his mouth is, he's not one for false promises. Fingers crossed it goes through.

#109 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

The Arabs are coming

(According to the BBC)
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#110 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,506 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Parky

1. There are so many things to spend money on outside the team at Salford.Marketing, for one, youth development in the Greater Manchester area, none of these are covered by the cap. generating our own income is a must.

2. I suspect some deal with Peel for property deals is actually behind this talk but at this stage it really doesn't matter.

1. Yes that's what I am inferring. If someone has millions of pounds I'd like them to recognise the potential of the Manchester market for Rugby league which everyone on here tends to agree it's got. I'd like them to develop the game and maybe do that tying in with other clubs around Manchester both semi pro and amateur. I'd like development officers be club funded, and Reds marketed heavily all around the M60. I'd like a modest target to be set and that's an average crowd of 8,000 fans, reaching the play offs at least every other year, winning more home games than they lose, and producing one SL professional a year locally and keeping a few of them at Salford.

Is that too much to ask of any moneybags?

2. Now an ulterior motive has been suggested I'd suspect it WILL be too much to ask, and the saviour may well turn out to be someone who may just "fund the gap between crowd and cap" for as long as the fancy takes, until the whole thing collapses again.

Edited by The Parksider, 08 January 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#111 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,506 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Salford could well be a cheap way in to a lucrative deal........It will be great news if it happens...

Great for who?

#112 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,575 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Just confirmed on Radio 5 -
Millionaire racehorse owner Dr Marwan Koukash has been revealed as the potential new buyer.

Edited by Futtocks, 08 January 2013 - 12:10 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#113 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Great for who?

For all parties I would imagine, wouldn't you ?

#114 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Just confirmed on Radio 5 -
Millionaire racehorse owner Dr Marwan Koukash has been revealed as the potential new buyer.

It's a perfect piece of land to build stables and house his horses lol

#115 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,575 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

No jokes about donkeys yet?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#116 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Look at the interest his potential investment has brought. Imagine he does invest, I fully expect the Salford Racecourse to come back on the agenda.

Edited by Red Willow, 08 January 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#117 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Look at the interest his potential investment has brought. Imagine he does invest, I fully expect the Salford Racecourse to come back on the agenda.

It just depends if he sees it as a business or a hobby. The problem might be his horses will always come first ( I don't know if they will but you would imagine that would be the case) But I do agree if he invests it will be good for Salford RLFC and the city if he plans to run a RL club and not like I say use the land for another purpose in future.

#118 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,575 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

use the land for another purpose in future.

Rip down a stadium that's only just been built? I doubt that'd happen.

#119 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

why where the club left out the meeting between koukash,peel,salford council & the RFL??

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#120 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Up to a point, yes. But what I'd much rather see is a clear vision of the future of Super League as mapped out by the RFL with a view to targeting this and other cash towards a more prosperous and sustainable end. At present it's too much of a sack race with no-one really knowing where they stand long-term and desperate clubs chasing after bad money to try to keep up.

Good luck to Salford and I hope this guy comes through. Of all the established clubs they're much the most "investable" I would have thought, with the possible exception of London.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users