Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

News on Salford

strictly red topic

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#121 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

I always think that the key prerequisite of an investor in our game is that they have so much wealth that spending a million just to get to the starting line doesn't drain their resources significantly. Mr K looks to be precisely in that category to me. I am not sure I fully understand his motivation, but if he sees spin off benefits from running the club well then that'll do for now. I am guessing people spend a fortune on race horses but continue to do so because they can and they get something out of it. Mr K may well tick both boxes. With the cuckoos facing relegation, I'd have thought that the way could be pretty clear for Salford pretty soon to steal a march as primary tenants, too.
Happy days.

#122 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Nobody will be certainly not me.

But steady on. You yourself started the "only two restaurants" stuff about Mr. Khan, Mr. Abbot and Mr. Khan have put significant stakes in but again steady boy....

Catalans will turnover £6M this year and win nowt. Fev and Halifax will turn over £1M, will their new investors offerings be adequate to take the clubs significantly forward? Please do explain.

Mr. Larvin wants to lavish £15M on HKR and buy the best players, and the allegedly mega rich Salford owner may flash the cash too. Who do you think they'll buy in and from where to make their bids for Superleague glory.

I'm no pessimist to your optimist, I'm a realist, and this lot will excite me if they spend their money on developing the game of rugby League in their areas and get people watching and kids playing.

There's a real problem lavishing millions of pounds on clubs who can't spend that money on their first team because there's a salary cap, and a distinct lack of quality players.

Sheik Mansoor and Roman Abramovich couldn't make an impact in Superleague.

Well, the investment cannot hurt. Any income for any RL team anywhere is welcome.

Maybe they have done due diligence and know the score on the Salary cap and have researched how Leeds, Wigan and others fund player developments and intend to do the same. Maybe they are in for the long haul and not instantg gratification trophy winning.

I think you are tending towards the negative there. I also don't think you can write off Catalans. They have established themselves as a semi permanent top six club and we all know hat position the last two champions finished in. I also think it's great that they now have a French coach and a susbstantial number of their squad are French, more than heretofore, so developing players from amateur or local semi pro sources.

#123 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Look at the interest his potential investment has brought. Imagine he does invest, I fully expect the Salford Racecourse to come back on the agenda.

Will the new Salford be a thoroughbred front runner playing in red silks.?

#124 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Up to a point, yes. But what I'd much rather see is a clear vision of the future of Super League as mapped out by the RFL with a view to targeting this and other cash towards a more prosperous and sustainable end. At present it's too much of a sack race with no-one really knowing where they stand long-term and desperate clubs chasing after bad money to try to keep up.

Good luck to Salford and I hope this guy comes through. Of all the established clubs they're much the most "investable" I would have thought, with the possible exception of London.

I couldn't agree more. There is a real need for some long term development plan for RL charting the future course of the whole game from juniors to SL and everything in between and that's the responsibility of the RFL. We need to get a new chief executive with massive talent to sort this out asap.

#125 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

I couldn't agree more. There is a real need for some long term development plan for RL charting the future course of the whole game from juniors to SL and everything in between and that's the responsibility of the RFL. We need to get a new chief executive with massive talent to sort this out asap.

that's what you call, hitting the nail on the head.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#126 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

I have not read the whole thread so sorry if this has already mentioned

Will the Salford club be re-branded with the new investor ?

IF it was my hard earned cash I would be tempted to re name the club Manchester, yes its an old idea but I personally feel that a Manchester RL club would draw new supporters and new sponsors where the Salford name has struggled. Surely a proud Mancunian would be interested in seeing whats on offer.

The MANCHESTER brand is known worlwide and its a shame its not been used to its full potential in RL
Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#127 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Will the new Salford be a thoroughbred front runner playing in red silks.?

Maybe that will be the cheerleaders kit, I don't know what his colours are.

Maybe the new breed of investors will lead to a change at Red Hall, we certainly need some ew blood.

#128 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I have not read the whole thread so sorry if this has already mentioned

Will the Salford club be re-branded with the new investor ?

IF it was my hard earned cash I would be tempted to re name the club Manchester, yes its an old idea but I personally feel that a Manchester RL club would draw new supporters and new sponsors where the Salford name has struggled. Surely a proud Mancunian would be interested in seeing whats on offer.

The MANCHESTER brand is known worlwide and its a shame its not been used to its full potential in RL

Zzzzzzz

There's always one!

#129 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Up to a point, yes. But what I'd much rather see is a clear vision of the future of Super League as mapped out by the RFL with a view to targeting this and other cash towards a more prosperous and sustainable end. At present it's too much of a sack race with no-one really knowing where they stand long-term and desperate clubs chasing after bad money to try to keep up.

Good luck to Salford and I hope this guy comes through. Of all the established clubs they're much the most "investable" I would have thought, with the possible exception of London.

The RFL from what I have seen are looking for a top class chief executive. Together with the review already underway by the "interim" I expect the RFL are fully aware of your sack race and are trying very hard t do something about it.

They have to succeed - I love this game!!

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#130 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,432 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

I for one think there is logic in re-branding the club as MANCHESTER why not there is simply nothing to lose.

As for SL with a MANCHESTER brand it means that SL has then clubs in 4 of the largest 7/8 cities in the UK.

Nowadays its all about selling the sizzle:)

CM

Salford isn't in Manchester !!

#131 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,850 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

For all parties I would imagine, wouldn't you ?

It will be good if the deal at least saves Salford.

It will be great if the deal boosts Rugby League in and around the M60.

There lieth the difference.....

#132 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,850 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

What I'd much rather see is a clear vision of the future of Super League as mapped out by the RFL with a view to targeting this and other cash towards a more prosperous and sustainable end. At present it's too much of a sack race with no-one really knowing where they stand long-term and desperate clubs chasing after bad money to try to keep up.

So would I.

#133 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,850 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

1. Maybe they have done due diligence and know the score on the Salary cap and have researched how Leeds, Wigan and others fund player developments and intend to do the same. Maybe they are in for the long haul and not instant gratification trophy winning.I think you are tending towards the negative.

2. Catalans. They have established themselves as a semi permanent top six club I also think it's great that they now have a French coach and a susbstantial number of their squad are French.

1. Leeds and wigan develop players by having the money to pay full salary cap, by having the money to staff junior development, by having the facilities, by promoting the game in their areas, by winning loads of cups, by being famous as the games two greatest ever clubs of all time, and through this by stimulating many junior RL clubs in their areas.

Maybe the new owner has earmarked investment of large proportions for a couple of generations to achieve this?

2. Nine players from overseas make Les Catalans a top six club. How would a French born X111 go in Superleague?

#134 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

https://twitter.com/AshleyGibson812

the players have started a twitter campaign to get every fan to take a friend to the wigan game to help the clubs finances...........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#135 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

I for one think there is logic in re-branding the club as MANCHESTER why not there is simply nothing to lose.

As for SL with a MANCHESTER brand it means that SL has then clubs in 4 of the largest 7/8 cities in the UK.

Nowadays its all about selling the sizzle:)

CM

There is a logic, you're possibly quite correct, but you've managed to be both right and to miss the point altogether in the same quote.

The logic, just like the logic in all the proposed mergers at the beginning of SL, didn't allow for the fact that fans are fiercely loyal to their local areas and despite being within Greater Manchester, Salford is a city in its own right and the vast majority of the club's fans just do not identify with Manchester.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#136 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Having watched Salford home and away from the early 70's, and having lived in the City all my life, I reckon more than 50% of the supporters would find something else to do rather than watch their team change their name to Manchester. Manchester, being a football City, would not replace those fans. It really gets on my nerves when people who know nothing about living in Salford keep bringing up this suggestion. Manchester and Salford are seperated by the river Irwell, but it might as well be the Atlantic ocean! Sure, some Salford fans will come on and say they would still follow the team as Manchester, but they would lose more than they gain. Mancunians ARLFC seeem to be doing a great job of promoting RL in the City of Manchester. Give them more support and let them carry on the good work they are doning and leave Salford alone.

#137 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,850 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

There is a logic... But...

Salford is a city in its own right and the vast majority of the club's fans just do not identify with Manchester.

True, but the club have 5,000 fans, not enough to survive without free subsidies from the rich.

Out of the 5,000 4,950 may vote to stay as Salford

But how many would walk away if the name changed??

And if the name changed to Manchester how many more fans could be attracted??

However what's in a name??

And how many Salford fans don't live in Salford?? Could be a lot.

This club primarily needs one thing - to be competetive on the pitch and make a salford game an event, last time it was an event they got 10,000.

#138 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Given the number of fans Man Utd have historically drawn from the Salford area I think you could make the case that a change to Manchester would draw barely a whimper of protest and might even be welcomed. The sensible thing would be to retain Salford in there as well. Manchester & Salford City Reds (or some new suffix) sounds snazzy enough to me. The 2 towns are not enemies by any means - it's a very peaceful co-existence where the boundaries are blurred often to the point of being entirely irrelevant. You're not amalgamating Manchester with Liverpool.

I've lived in Manchester for 20 years before anyone accuses me of ignorance.

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 09 January 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#139 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Many fans don't live in Salford but they acknowledge the history of the Salford club. Changing the name to Manchester doesn't attract new fans or maintain them.

I say this everytime but look at the Manchester storm and Giants teams Or Manchester RU and tell me what the long term benefits of the Manchester name are?

#140 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

the vast majority of the club's fans just do not identify with Manchester.

What is this based on? I think you'll find more Salfordians out in Manchester on a Friday and Saturday night than knocking around Salford Precinct. It's about 20 minutes walk to Manchester town centre from there. I've always viewed Salford as more of an extension of Manchester than an independent city. That's no criticism of the place or its facilities but with Manchester joined to your hip you'd have to be pretty pigheaded and stubborn to not take advantage of the shops, pubs, clubs etc. just a stone's throw away. I know a lot of proud Salfordians but not one that harbours any bitterness towards Manchester, most have even moved to Manchester, usually due to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users