Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

News on Salford

strictly red topic

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#161 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Also Sale Sharks are doing their best to lose the `Sale` from their monika. Should Salford do the same and be called `City Reds`? Not for me but the title would please Man C & Man U fans I suppose.

#162 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Sale's attempts to drop their prefix is causing uproar which is surprising given how few of their fans have any tangible link with Sale.

#163 MikeTommo

MikeTommo
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

I too would support the moniker of 'Red Devils' returning but in conjunction with Salford, not instead of,

#164 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,595 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Pedant mode: Arsenal is a shortened version of their original name, Woolwich arsenal, due to its location next to the old Gun making facility, known as the Arsenal. They moved to North London from Woolwich sometime in the 1800's i think. Pedant mode off. apologies..

I say keep them as Salford and adopt the old moniker of 'Red Devils'.

You are correct but they dropped Woolwich from their title and moved away from there and so the word arsenal had no connection with an area or anything to link it to London and none of those facts have prevented the club being a huge success.

#165 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Sorry to be picky, but Eccles has been in Salford since before I was born. Moreover, the ground is actually in Barton (which is also in Salford).

Only if you allow the post 1974 Boundary Commission to define community with its lines. It just so happens Eccles and Salford fall within the administrative boundary of the same local authority, which in my opinion does not make them part of the same place. The Boundary Commission does these things on the basis of a numbers game, nothing more. The two places are geographically and culturally entirely seperate communities.

In the same way Leigh is not in Wigan. Featherstone and Castleford are not in Wakefield. Radcliffe is not in Bury. Bootle is not in Southport. Horwich is not in Bolton.

Salford City Stadium being just one strand of a determined campaign by John Merry to socially engineer the meaning of what makes up Salford. I for one will never agree with him and frankly believe the whole "IN Salford" thing was a totally unnecessary vanity project on his behalf that has done a lot of damage to civic pride in the areas he's tried to annex.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#166 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,595 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Only if you allow the post 1974 Boundary Commission to define community with its lines. It just so happens Eccles and Salford fall within the administrative boundary of the same local authority, which in my opinion does not make them part of the same place. The Boundary Commission does these things on the basis of a numbers game, nothing more. The two places are geographically and culturally entirely seperate communities.

In the same way Leigh is not in Wigan. Featherstone and Castleford are not in Wakefield. Radcliffe is not in Bury. Bootle is not in Southport. Horwich is not in Bolton.

Salford City Stadium being just one strand of a determined campaign by John Merry to socially engineer the meaning of what makes up Salford. I for one will never agree with him and frankly believe the whole "IN Salford" thing was a totally unnecessary vanity project on his behalf that has done a lot of damage to civic pride in the areas he's tried to annex.

And Swinton was it's own enitity also and I think I read that Salford moved in and annexed a rather nice town hall

#167 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

1. Eventually, I knew you'd manage to get something right, Parky ;)

2. If the game can afford to wave bye bye to a core support of 5,500 (and a latent support of similar size) then good luck to them.
But do you really think there are a similar number of supporters in Manchester ready and waiting to fill the void?

1. I only came up with that after reading an inspirational article on half of page 27 of this weeks league Express.

he's good that Andrews bloke :lol:

2. In 1977 Salford were the second best supported club in the league. They stopped wining things and sank slowly to become a yo-yo also ran team. In Superleague they've really done nothing except let some big scores in embarrassing their fans and had to sit back whilst big clubs take their best players.

Fans just don't want that, and no amount of "marketing" is going to alter it because fans aren't dumb and know what they want. When the Willows closed they wanted to go see the old ground for the last time and you got a taste of the latent support. I don't think there's another 5,000 fans just waiting to come back - maybe a thousand or two.

But its half about the old fans and half about the new. Certainly there's big numbers of fans who are new to the top SL clubs and who enjoy top class RL, but top class RL stops around half way down the Superleague.

Salford can easily draw the 8,000 fans they need to break even all this new guy has to do is buy some top players....... :unsure:

Oh dear. They are all taken and this new guy can't outbid those clubs who have them all because of the cap. :(

Edited by The Parksider, 09 January 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#168 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Good players often become available over the course of a season, though. There are some great players in the championships who can be bought, plus, sadly, you can bet on at least on other club being short of cash during the season and potentially open to offers. Maybe not year one, but it is eminently possible to put together a good side within 12 months, spending up to the cap and willing to pay transfer fees when, sadly, a fair few clubs can't afford to pay that much.

#169 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Arsenal are a huge maga soccer club but the name "Arsenal" does not denote that they are a london club ior even that they are a North London vlub and it is not the name of any geographical location in London. I don't think rebranding them "London Arsenal" or "Highbury Arsenal" would add anything to their allure or marketing and supporter recruitment potential.

In fact, and I've live 5 minutes of the Highbury ground for several years in total, the area has in some ways come to be known as "Arsenal". Maybe it's because of the tube station (which was named after the club) but I reckon more people in London would be able to place "Arsenal" as a place than "Highbury".

It's a lovely part of the World BTW. I hugely enjoyed my time there. If I ever went back to live in London, it would be somewhere round there. It's the part of London I feel at home.

That's me.  I'm done.

#170 TheMancunianCandidate

TheMancunianCandidate
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Having watched Salford home and away from the early 70's, and having lived in the City all my life, I reckon more than 50% of the supporters would find something else to do rather than watch their team change their name to Manchester. Manchester, being a football City, would not replace those fans. It really gets on my nerves when people who know nothing about living in Salford keep bringing up this suggestion. Manchester and Salford are seperated by the river Irwell, but it might as well be the Atlantic ocean! Sure, some Salford fans will come on and say they would still follow the team as Manchester, but they would lose more than they gain. Mancunians ARLFC seeem to be doing a great job of promoting RL in the City of Manchester. Give them more support and let them carry on the good work they are doning and leave Salford alone.

That's very nice of you to say that. Thank you.
We'd welcome more support of course!

#171 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Having watched Salford home and away from the early 70's, and having lived in the City all my life, I reckon more than 50% of the supporters would find something else to do rather than watch their team change their name to Manchester. Manchester, being a football City, would not replace those fans. It really gets on my nerves when people who know nothing about living in Salford keep bringing up this suggestion. Manchester and Salford are seperated by the river Irwell, but it might as well be the Atlantic ocean! Sure, some Salford fans will come on and say they would still follow the team as Manchester, but they would lose more than they gain. Mancunians ARLFC seeem to be doing a great job of promoting RL in the City of Manchester. Give them more support and let them carry on the good work they are doning and leave Salford alone.

By your logic nobody from the Salford side of the "Atlantic Ocean", as you call it, would ever take a trip across "the pond" to watch Manchester United or Manchester City on a regular basis then.

:wacko: :wacko: :blink: :blink: :lol: :lol:

Get real!!!!

#172 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

I would be for rebranding the club to Manchester.....the sport needs a strong Manchester club and Salford have the potential to fill that void.

#173 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

It's ludicrous to pretend the club are Manchester, they aren't. A waste of time to even think about it. There's nothing wrong with Salford that a few quid and a bit of success won't solve. Oh, and a new stadium; that new one in the middle of nowhere is terrible.

#174 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

What is this based on? I think you'll find more Salfordians out in Manchester on a Friday and Saturday night than knocking around Salford Precinct. It's about 20 minutes walk to Manchester town centre from there. I've always viewed Salford as more of an extension of Manchester than an independent city. That's no criticism of the place or its facilities but with Manchester joined to your hip you'd have to be pretty pigheaded and stubborn to not take advantage of the shops, pubs, clubs etc. just a stone's throw away. I know a lot of proud Salfordians but not one that harbours any bitterness towards Manchester, most have even moved to Manchester, usually due to work.

If you had read my post you will see that a number of sports have tried to cash in on the Manchester name Basketball and Ice Hockey being the first 2 that spring to mind. (Giants and Storm) After the initial set up when huge sums of money were thrown at the resepctive sports both clubs failed and now Manchester Phoenix attract a small band of fans to the ice hockey.

There are 2 RU clubs in the Greater Manchester area. One called Manchester and one called Sale. Which gets the greater number of fans? the one that has money thrown at it and achieves the success, and that isn't the club called Manchester.

As for work in the community, Salford are doing some great work in Trafford with the schools and have also gone into a number of high schools in Manchester, this for me is the area that money will make a difference.

There is a Cas fan that teaches in Manchester and he speaks highly of the support he received from the Reds. They have also gone into the Children's hospital at Christmas.

We should make more of the Original Red Devils tag.

The Reds is a long term investment which can reap great rewards for both RL and Salford as a club but it needs new blood and a modern approach.

#175 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

There are 2 RU clubs in the Greater Manchester area. One called Manchester and one called Sale. Which gets the greater number of fans? the one that has money thrown at it and achieves the success, and that isn't the club called Manchester.

There are many, many more than 2!

Broughton Park, Sedgley Park, Eccles, Tyldesley, Leigh, Orrell.......

#176 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Way off topic, but somebody mentioned that Horwich was not in Bolton. That brought back very poignant memories of the Jack Robinson proposal to build a new stadium at Horwich, after CP was knocked down. I recall standing on my feet at the shareholders' meeting shouting "Horwich is in Bolton". Who knows - had I done my research then, the course of Wigan's history could have been changed.
Incidentally, if I were a betting man, I would put my money on there being a deal done and this working out very well indeed for Salford.
Be great to see the Red Devils with money behind them. Sign Fielding's son tomorrow!

#177 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

I'd be happy seeing the Red Devil brought babk

Wasn't the 'Red Devil' trade mark, famously sold to United a few years back, with Salford then becoming the 'Reds'? Or is this one of those urban myths?
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#178 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Good players often become available over the course of a season, though. There are some great players in the championships who can be bought, it is eminently possible to put together a good side within 12 months, spending up to the cap and willing to pay transfer fees when, sadly, a fair few clubs can't afford to pay that much.

Holdsworth and Moon became available and went up to two of the top six clubs, Hull and Leeds

I'm hard pressed to think of many great players who suddenly become available, and yes they can be levered with a transfer fee, but again that's the sort of thing Warrington and Wigan can and do do.

I'm hard pressed to think of any good side that's been put together in 12 months? At very short notice Nobby built a Crusaders and Agar built a Trinity both of whom made the play offs. Were these good sides? Or were they poor sides who simply did better than their equivalents scrubbing around outside the top half of the table.

#179 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Ooh Matron!!!! Pass me the pills Nurse - Just hope it wont end in tears :-

ex St. Helens Star

A MILLIONAIRE racehorse owner based in Rainford who is in advanced talks to save the ailing Salford City Reds rugby league club has set out his ambitions to the St Helens Star.

In an exclusive interview, Dr Marwan Koukash, owner of global executive training company EuroMaTech, said he hopes a deal to take ownership of Salford can be struck within days.

He told the Star: “My interest is very strong. There is still a lot of ongoing talks and agreements to be made.

“(However) Discussions are at an advanced stage for me to take over at the club.

“My aim is to become the owner. My plan is not just to save Salford but to turn it around, make it a competitive team – which is capable of winning trophies. Otherwise I would not be interested.

“I came back early from Dubai to hold face to face discussions and I am quite hopeful a deal can be done.

“I have a strategy for the club that will strengthen it and make it compete at the highest level and from a financial point of view to find ways of generating more outside income.

“I reiterate the most important thing is to save the club and to lead it into a financial position where it can compete at the highest level.”

On Monday, Dr Koukash attended a meeting with development company Peel Holdings and Salford Council, the joint landlords of the Salford City Stadium, who are both keen to keep the ailing Super League club afloat.

Dr Koukash has already enlisted former New Zealand rugby league chief Andrew Chalmers to scour the sport to find leading lights on and off the field for the City Reds.

He added: “We would not be finishing in bottom three like last year.”

However, it is understood there would be no desire to change the coaching set up, which is led by former Saints players Phil Veivers and Sean Long.

Dr Koukash, 54, has strong links to St Helens, and is reported to have enjoyed a ‘rags to riches’ story having come from the Middle East in 1977 to studying A-levels at St Helens Technical College, living in the Sherdley Park area.

He went on to further his studies in Liverpool, but retained a base in St Helens and later moved to Rainford with his wife Mandy and their children.

His horses achieved more than 100 victories in 2012.

He was a guest of the Saints owner Eamonn McManus at a Super League fixture last season and his family support the St Helens club.

Dr Koukash, who has also enjoyed success in property development, added: “I have watched St Helens in the past, they are my local team but I doubted I would ever own it as it is in safe hands and the people who own the club thoroughly enjoy it.

“The last time I saw a rugby match the atmosphere was great. Give me the choice of attending a rugby or a football match and I would choose rugby.

“Football could learn a lot from rugby.”

Edited by Segovia Carpet, 10 January 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#180 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

As for work in the community, Salford are doing some great work in Trafford with the schools and have also gone into a number of high schools in Manchester, this for me is the area that money will make a difference.

There is a Cas fan that teaches in Manchester and he speaks highly of the support he received from the Reds. They have also gone into the Children's hospital at Christmas.

We should make more of the Original Red Devils tag.

The Reds is a long term investment which can reap great rewards for both RL and Salford as a club but it needs new blood and a modern approach.

Always a pleasure to read you well balanced posts.

I remember the 60's rise of City and United and it was the case not a lot of RL was being played in Salford, and fans interest was low. Along came Snape with money and they became one of the best supported sides in the Rugby League. Simples.

I saw New Hunslet at the Willows chasing the shadows of Maurice Richards, Keith Fielding, Paul Charlton, Mike Coulman and the great David Watkins. In 1974 Salford as League champions went out to Bradford in the play off who snatched a draw at the Willows before over 10,000 fans when half that was a good crowd at Leeds. 10,000 fans were at the willows 38 years later to see the old ground off.

The replay was one of my greatest memories, Salford and Watkins were again electric in the backs but Bardford ground them down and Hunslet lad Bill Ramsey saw them off up front, he was chaired off all the way up those long long steps that used to go up to the changing rooms.

Wilkinson never properly replaced Snape and perhaps only his money prevented the club going the way of Broughton, Swinton, Rochdale or Oldham. But they are still here, and still a Superleague club.

So what does the next man do? He can't do a Snape as he can't buy up Union players, there's no quality RL players to buy, Salford don't produce them in much number? So is it a case of just preserving a grand old club with a grand old name and a grand old history with grand old achievements albeit two generations ago.

Because that's all most people in our game seem to have the appetite for - preserving the past.

I see no more Mileage in "Manchester" than "RED Devils" however maybe if the club call themselves manchester united Red Devils RLFC that will attract a few new sops to come along and see what the fuss is about. however if they see Salford lose by 44 to Catalans again they too may not come a second time.

This racehorse magnet can do as he pleases, but if I had millions (this is where we need a fantasy RL forum so stuff like this can go on there) I'd want to at least embrace the whole of Salford AND Manchester INCLUDING Oldham, Swinton and Rochdale and work towards supplying this massive conurbation with it's own Superleague club to be proud of, and in doing so put back down some co-ordinated roots for our game across the piece - even into the areas RL has "never gone before".

Salford in reality are little bigger in infrastructure than Oldham or Swinton or Broughton or Rochdale, only money preserves them from going the same way. Money merely postpones the inevitable. Unless they embrace your idea that "Salford as a club needs a modern approach". Absolutely.

However I bet my modern approach would go further than yours and may favour working towards the future and new fans and new players from a vastly bigger area, rather than looking back and pleasing the old guard, who simply don't want their Salford to die.