Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Statement from RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood

RFL media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
286 replies to this topic

#241 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Its not rocket science, pal. ...though it might seem it to you.

Did not expect anything else from you to be honest.

Obviousley responding with stupid games or bible quotes is all that you are limted to unfortunately. Never mind.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#242 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

"I love rugby league but only when it involves my club"

And people wonder why this great game doesn't get the recognition it deserves.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#243 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

But if and when Fev do make the SL - I assume you won't be watching as you have morals and the SL concept is morally wrong?

I will watch my club in any League that they compete in. However I will carry on my protest until P&R is restored and the RFL care about all member clubs. We have also earned the right to play in the elite league by winning the Championship along with Fax and Sheffield. Unlike some of the clubs who have just been placed.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#244 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

I will watch my club in any League that they compete in.

Double standards then.

#245 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Well no - not if they are not the rules.

Ok tomorrow the government legalises robbing houses and looting. If I took part would I be moraly wrong?

#246 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

"I love rugby league but only when it involves my club"

And people wonder why this great game doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

There is nothing wrong with just supporting your club. Or would you prefer they stopped doing this altogether and the clubs go under? That would really increase the recognition RL gets.

Edited by a.n Other, 02 January 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#247 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Double standards then.

No not at all, we have earned our right. What I wouldn't do is sit back in the SL and abuse people from the lower leagues who feel like boycotting SL and the World Cup because P&R isn't in place.

#248 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Spot on Robin. When you feel like something is not right you need to protest and not attending the world cup or watch SL games is the only few options we have.

yup!
Whinge? Yes!
Morngy about tge game? Yes.
Disatisfied? Yes
Protest vociferously? Yes

I have flaws. Repeat - I expect no-one to follow suit.
It is my stand.

Don't see it as a big deal. In the greater scheme of things ill have little/no impact. C'est la vie!

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#249 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,773 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Ok tomorrow the government legalises robbing houses and looting. If I took part would I be moraly wrong?

It's not a half-decent comparison so I won't bother responding to that one.

The fact is that it is the rules of the game. You may not like the rules, but that does not make them immoral.

#250 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

I will watch my club in any League that they compete in. However I will carry on my protest until P&R is restored and the RFL care about all member clubs. We have also earned the right to play in the elite league by winning the Championship along with Fax and Sheffield. Unlike some of the clubs who have just been placed.

it does appear we have the same hymn sheet ian
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#251 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

There is nothing wrong with just supporting your club. Or would you prefer they stopped doing this altogether and the clubs go under? That would reall increase the recognition RL gets.

Bang on. I have an idea for all these Leeds, Wire, Wigan and Saints fans and whoever posts on here about loving the game. Why not instead of watching your own team, travel down to London more often so that their gates increase. If you love the game that much London will thrive, it might mean that your club can no longer sustain the team you currently watch but what the hell, its for the good of the game.

#252 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

No not at all, we have earned our right. What I wouldn't do is sit back in the SL and abuse people from the lower leagues who feel like boycotting SL and the World Cup because P&R isn't in place.

You say you boycott SL then say you would watch your club play in it ,to me that's double standards.
Do you think that most people who watch SL only have the interests of their own club and not the game as a whole.

#253 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

It's not a half-decent comparison so I won't bother responding to that one.

That is your opinion, mine differs. The rules are morally wrong and you can go on about the rules as much as you like. You might think I am a thick flat capper but I understand the rules perfectley. They are just wrong.

#254 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

There is nothing wrong with just supporting your club. Or would you prefer they stopped doing this altogether and the clubs go under? That would really increase the recognition RL gets.

Most clubs are going to the wall anyway,so much for the people who love the game.What ticks me off is the attitude of so called fans that criticise the game and only complain.

#255 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,773 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

There is nothing wrong with just supporting your club. Or would you prefer they stopped doing this altogether and the clubs go under? That would reall increase the recognition RL gets.

Well no - if he doesn't watch SL because he has morals and it is an immoral comp - then surely if he starts to watch it he is losing his morals?

#256 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Bang on. I have an idea for all these Leeds, Wire, Wigan and Saints fans and whoever posts on here about loving the game. Why not instead of watching your own team, travel down to London more often so that their gates increase. If you love the game that much London will thrive, it might mean that your club can no longer sustain the team you currently watch but what the hell, its for the good of the game.

Do you not realise that some of us do watch other clubs ,we are not as blinkered as you think.

#257 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

You say you boycott SL then say you would watch your club play in it ,to me that's double standards.
Do you think that most people who watch SL only have the interests of their own club and not the game as a whole.

No I think that they care about the game but as long as their club is part of it as well.

For example if your team were booted out of the League in favor of a fast tracked club and denied a fair way back in do you honestly believe that the opinions would be the same. Your answer will without a doubt be yes but it's easy to say yes when you are part of the 'big boys'.

#258 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,773 posts

That is your opinion, mine differs. The rules are morally wrong and you can go on about the rules as much as you like. You might think I am a thick flat capper but I understand the rules perfectley. They are just wrong.

No - you may dislike them, but who are you to say they are wrong (or who am I to say they are wrong?).

Whether we like the rules or not, there is nothing immoral about them.

#259 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

I can (just about) get my head around why some disgruntled people want to boycott SuperLeague. (Its nothing to do with morals though, plenty of sports all over the world don't use automatic P&R)

What I can't fathom is why somebody would want to boycott one of the biggest events in Rugby League in this country in 13 years and the second biggest sporting event on these shores next year (after the Ashes).

Its a chance to showcase our sport to millions of people across the world - potentially millions of newcomers too - watching the finest athletes in the world playing some fantastically exciting Rugby League. This event has nothing to do with SuperLeague or the Championships, its about backing the 17 blokes on the field playing for your country.

If you are still narrow minded enough to ignore that fact and think you are proving a point then fine, its your loss. I've got a feeling you probably won't be missed.
Posted Image

#260 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

The RFL don't make the rules. The clubs make them. The RFL management may - or may not - make recommendations.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users