Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Statement from RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood

RFL media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
286 replies to this topic

#261 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

No I think that they care about the game but as long as their club is part of it as well.

For example if your team were booted out of the League in favor of a fast tracked club and denied a fair way back in do you honestly believe that the opinions would be the same. Your answer will without a doubt be yes but it's easy to say yes when you are part of the 'big boys'.

TBH - if I felt so strongly about something based on my morals, I would stop watching the game altogether. I wouldn't do it half-heartedly and ditch my morals as soon as it suited me and my club.

I can absolutely understand you disliking the current system - I don't think it is the best system necessarily - but I don't buy the morals argument you use.

#262 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Any mention that the Championships wont have a main sponsor in 2013?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#263 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Bang on. I have an idea for all these Leeds, Wire, Wigan and Saints fans and whoever posts on here about loving the game. Why not instead of watching your own team, travel down to London more often so that their gates increase. If you love the game that much London will thrive, it might mean that your club can no longer sustain the team you currently watch but what the hell, its for the good of the game.

What is the reason for asking people to abandon the loyalty to their own team? I'm not sure where this logic ties in.

#264 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

No I think that they care about the game but as long as their club is part of it as well.

For example if your team were booted out of the League in favor of a fast tracked club and denied a fair way back in do you honestly believe that the opinions would be the same. Your answer will without a doubt be yes but it's easy to say yes when you are part of the 'big boys'.

So if I said yes I would be lying would I.If my club were taken away from SL my opinions would be the same.I'm not blinkered,I love the game for what it is.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#265 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Any mention that the Championships wont have a main sponsor in 2013?

I think as things stand, none of the main four comps have a sponsor attached to them - although there is time until the season starts, so let's wait and see.

I think it was earlier in this thread that it was pointed out that the RU Championship has no title sponsor, suggesting that it won't be as easy as many think to get a sponsor.

#266 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Do you not realise that some of us do watch other clubs ,we are not as blinkered as you think.

Yes but if you really cared about the game like you say you do, you would go in larger numbers. Or is the love for the game only from the people who post on this forum.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#267 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Most clubs are going to the wall anyway,so much for the people who love the game.What ticks me off is the attitude of so called fans that criticise the game and only complain.

Terry, you seem to have missed the obvious that most being critical are up to their necks in passion and go beyond the call of duty in supporting their club. The problem is these peoiple (we) are disenfranchised with the games ruling body and the direction trhey take it. The common denominators are exclusion and lack of morals. We don't want a guaranteed hand out or SL status, we want the dream and to be part of an inclusive and progressive sport. We love RL but despair at the people who are tasked with leading it.

#268 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

So if I said yes I would be lying would I.If my club were taken away from SL my opinions would be the same.I'm not blinkered,I love the game for what it is.

Ok if you want to believe that believe it. Like I said easy when you are part of it.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#269 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

If you are an RFL member club and denied your place in it even when finishing the Champions of the league below then morally it is wrong.

Why ?

Is there no competition apart from $uperleague that doesn't have promotion and relegation or summat ? :mellow:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#270 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

More foot-stamping ? Why don't some of your players apply for RFL funded jobs ? Doesn't have to be in the Fev area. We've got a player working for the Bulls - so what ?

There's some implication here that players get RFL money for just sitting on their backsides all day, playing their Xboxes. The fact is, it's just another job like teacher, butcher, baker, candlestick maker etc.

Whinge, whinge, whinge .........

Help me out here - which Sheffield players are employed in development roles at any club/area?

#271 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Terry, you seem to have missed the obvious that most being critical are up to their necks in passion and go beyond the call of duty in supporting their club. The problem is these peoiple (we) are disenfranchised with the games ruling body and the direction trhey take it. The common denominators are exclusion and lack of morals. We don't want a guaranteed hand out or SL status, we want the dream and to be part of an inclusive and progressive sport. We love RL but despair at the people who are tasked with leading it.

I fully understand that point,it's the people who assume that the fans of SL clubs don't care about clubs oustide of SL.That falls on deaf ears though,some people think their opinion is the only one that is right.

#272 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Help me out here - which Sheffield players are employed in development roles at any club/area?

Mitch Stringer, Hendo Henderson at Sheffield, Duane Straugheir at Bradford.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#273 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Ok if you want to believe that believe it. Like I said easy when you are part of it.

Like I said,you think my answer is a lie,you are so,so wrong on that point.Would you have the same attitude if the situations were reversed.

#274 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

What is the reason for asking people to abandon the loyalty to their own team? I'm not sure where this logic ties in.

Because you are knights in shining armour who care more about the game than your clubs. At least that's what you reckon anyway.

#275 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Would you have the same attitude if the situations were reversed.

Quite possibley yes. You see the world is full if different opinions, often based on how privilaged they are. I would like to think that I would always look out for the lesser man but I could not guarentee it. To suggest I would is naive.

Edited by Ian (Pencil) Elliott, 02 January 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#276 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

If you are still narrow minded enough to ignore that fact and think you are proving a point then fine, its your loss. I've got a feeling you probably won't be missed.

I'm absolutely certain I wont be missed gav. I'll live wi it owd cock!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#277 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Because you are knights in shining armour who care more about the game than your clubs. At least that's what you reckon anyway.

:rolleyes: and here we go again. This is what it all comes back to.

Because I support the game I love, follow the club I love (a lot less than I would like to) and defend it against naysayers (who are usually people who claim they love RL) then we get sneered at as though we are in the wrong.

If you don;t want to go and watch the game, don't - but don't shout from the rooftops about morals which you have admitted you would abandon in seconds if your team were admitted to Super league. Some morals those!

#278 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Quite possibley yes. You see the world is full if different opinions, often based on how privilaged they are. I would like to think that I would always look out for the lesser man but I could not guarentee it. To suggest I would is naive.

Please don't patronise me,i haven't patronised you,please extend me the same courtesy.

#279 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

The RFL don't make the rules. The clubs make them. The RFL management may - or may not - make recommendations.

Yes the SL clubs make them up plus a few short sited Championship clubs chairman.

#280 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Please don't patronise me,i haven't patronised you,please extend me the same courtesy.

Sorry I am honestly not meaning to be patronising. If you think I am maybe we should leave it there. I am just answering your question honestly.