Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Statement from RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood

RFL media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
286 replies to this topic

#21 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Some of these comments, in regard to the World Cup on here are incredible,it's no wonder League struggles at times.

#22 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

Dear Mr Wood,

You claim to love the sport of Rugby League, if this really is the case, please do the decent thing and stand down with immediate effect!

Since taking control of the sport, you and your cronies have single handedly crippled our game. If you want a reminder of some of your blunder's, here is a quick recap:-

1. Crusader's - fast tracked to SL, the visa c*ck up, taken over and moved north as they were skint. Went bust again, dissolved in to a Ch1 team with gates averaging a few hundred.

2. Bradford - Bust and saved because the SL clubs will get decent home gates against them so they are allowed to carry on as though nothing had happened.

3. Salford - Bust and you'll probably do what you should have done to Bradford and demote them, but the greedy SL clubs don't get good enough gates from Salford to warrant saving them.

4. Wakefield - Bust. Missed every target you set them regarding ground improvements, the same one's you set them in the previous licensing that they failed to hit. This time if they missed them, you were going to demote them, they still haven't done it, the saga continues.

5. Castleford - In the doldrums and severely struggling, like Wakey missed every target set in the last round of licencing regarding ground improvements the saga continues here too, will they ever build the new ground - Doubtful in my lifetime!

6. London - Massive strides here, really well done. Average gates just over 1000 for a SL club is almost remarkable. Is it possible to attract less fans to anything in London? However, no-one in the capital even knows they have a team. If they do, they must all be washing there hair on match days.

7. Different divisions playing to different rules (bonus point "experiment" still running and failing), I cannot think of another sport where 2 divisions would play to different rules to every other team in the sport, if it is successful run it in SL? You won't do it Mr Wood, because it has the opposite effect to what it was designed for, it promotes negativity not attacking play.

8. Licensing, introduced to ensure 1-5 on this list cannot happen, that worked well didn't it!

9. Magic Weekend - Lets take the game around the British Isles, spread the gospel! Another Epic Fail, how many new supporters has the sport won from this? Your only attendees are already fans of the clubs taking part and the majority don't attend. If it worked taking it to Scotland and Wales, why is it now hosted in that major development area of Manchester? Disagree with me and put your spin on it? her's a fact for you, the avg gates at the derby games of approx 20k for Wigan v Saints, 10k+ Leeds Bradford 20k for the Hull derby, how many tickets do you sell for the Mickey Mouse Weekend? Not many over 50k I'll bet, and yet the 3 derby games mentioned would pull this alone by having them at home, and you wouldn't have to fork out umpteen grand to borrow Man City's ground!

10. Blackpool - Bust and no longer exist

11. Halifax's SL application through to the 2nd round in the process then branded the worst the RFL has ever seen! If it was so bad how did it get through the first round?

12. Barrow - Bust and broke the salary cap, but you lot couldn't work it out until after the season had ended. A team fully loaded with FT professionals obviously costs over £300k a season to assemble. Anyone with half a brain knew the likes of Rooney, Cattic, et al. must be earning more than £10k a season, Surely you must have thought, anything less than £30k for Rooney and it wouldn't even cover his fuel costs to get up there 4 times a week?

13. Internationally - I don't think we have ever been further away from competing with the Aussies and Kiwi's, roll on the WC, one thing is for sure our game is going down the toilet!

14. 2nd most watched sport on Sky yet you sell the SL sponsorship, sorry sell is the wrong wording, you "give" the sponsorship away for no money and accept a few posters on half a dozen Stobart trucks as payment!!! I ask you, I only wish the papers had even the slightest interest in the game to photograph the brown envelopes changing hands on that one!

15. Championship clubs have had funding reduced by £10k per year because your flagship clubs are struggling to cope on the £1 million per season they are given.

I could go on, but alas I am getting rather upset thinking about how an incompetent moron such as you Mr Wood, can be allowed to, frankly, pinch a £200k+ salary for what you do, when clubs are struggling and going to the wall due to your failings!

The game is a laughing stock, and the book stops with you Mr Wood!

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 31 December 2012 - 10:10 PM.

#23 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,669 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#24 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,669 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

We are fans of rugby league just not fans of the clowns that run our game that's all.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#25 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

Pick the bones out of that one!

Dear Mr Wood,

You claim to love the sport of Rugby League, if this really is the case, please do the decent thing and stand down with immediate effect!

Since taking control of the sport, you and your cronies have single handedly crippled our game. If you want a reminder of some of your blunder's, here is a quick recap:-

1. Crusader's - fast tracked to SL, the visa c*ck up, taken over and moved north as they were skint. Went bust again, dissolved in to a Ch1 team with gates averaging a few hundred.

2. Bradford - Bust and saved because the SL clubs will get decent home gates against them so they are allowed to carry on as though nothing had happened.

3. Salford - Bust and you'll probably do what you should have done to Bradford and demote them, but the greedy SL clubs don't get good enough gates from Salford to warrant saving them.

4. Wakefield - Bust. Missed every target you set them regarding ground improvements, the same one's you set them in the previous licensing that they failed to hit. This time if they missed them, you were going to demote them, they still haven't done it, the saga continues.

5. Castleford - In the doldrums and severely struggling, like Wakey missed every target set in the last round of licencing regarding ground improvements the saga continues here too, will they ever build the new ground - Doubtful in my lifetime!

6. London - Massive strides here, really well done. Average gates just over 1000 for a SL club is almost remarkable. Is it possible to attract less fans to anything in London? However, no-one in the capital even knows they have a team. If they do, they must all be washing there hair on match days.

7. Different divisions playing to different rules (bonus point "experiment" still running and failing), I cannot think of another sport where 2 divisions would play to different rules to every other team in the sport, if it is successful run it in SL? You won't do it Mr Wood, because it has the opposite effect to what it was designed for, it promotes negativity not attacking play.

8. Licensing, introduced to ensure 1-5 on this list cannot happen, that worked well didn't it!

9. Magic Weekend - Lets take the game around the British Isles, spread the gospel! Another Epic Fail, how many new supporters has the sport won from this? Your only attendees are already fans of the clubs taking part and the majority don't attend. If it worked taking it to Scotland and Wales, why is it now hosted in that major development area of Manchester? Disagree with me and put your spin on it? her's a fact for you, the avg gates at the derby games of approx 20k for Wigan v Saints, 10k+ Leeds Bradford 20k for the Hull derby, how many tickets do you sell for the Mickey Mouse Weekend? Not many over 50k I'll bet, and yet the 3 derby games mentioned would pull this alone by having them at home, and you wouldn't have to fork out umpteen grand to borrow Man City's ground!

10. Blackpool - Bust and no longer exist

11. Halifax's SL application through to the 2nd round in the process then branded the worst the RFL has ever seen! If it was so bad how did it get through the first round?

12. Barrow - Bust and broke the salary cap, but you lot couldn't work it out until after the season had ended. A team fully loaded with FT professionals obviously costs over £300k a season to assemble. Anyone with half a brain knew the likes of Rooney, Cattic, et al. must be earning more than £10k a season, Surely you must have thought, anything less than £30k for Rooney and it wouldn't even cover his fuel costs to get up there 4 times a week?

13. Internationally - I don't think we have ever been further away from competing with the Aussies and Kiwi's, roll on the WC, one thing is for sure our game is going down the toilet!

14. 2nd most watched sport on Sky yet you sell the SL sponsorship, sorry sell is the wrong wording, you "give" the sponsorship away for no money and accept a few posters on half a dozen Stobart trucks as payment!!! I ask you, I only wish the papers had even the slightest interest in the game to photograph the brown envelopes changing hands on that one!

15. Championship clubs have had funding reduced by £10k per year because your flagship clubs are struggling to cope on the £1 million per season they are given.

I could go on, but alas I am getting rather upset thinking about how an incompetent moron such as you Mr Wood, can be allowed to, frankly, pinch a £200k+ salary for what you do, when clubs are struggling and going to the wall due to your failings!

The game is a laughing stock, and the book stops with you Mr Wood!

Pick the bones out of that one instead of posting silly childish faces.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 01 January 2013 - 01:44 AM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#26 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

1. You may be fans of say Featherstone Rovers but you are clearly not fans of rugby league.

That's where you completely miss the point. Ian, Robin and many other Fev and CC fans want what's best for the game as a whole, not just the club where their allegiance lies. Difficult for some SL fans who have enjoyed the comfort zone for 16 years to understand I suppose.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#27 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Fine, you hate SL and the RFL. Don't go to any England matches but please go and watch NZ Vs Aus, or Ire Vs Fiji or any of the smaller teams. They need support more than any objections to the RFL.

A successful world cup is inexplicitly linked to the future of the game in this country. The international game is the biggest driver for the media and general awareness in the country.

Edited by Bedford Roughyed, 01 January 2013 - 08:14 AM.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#28 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,669 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

They see themselves as the victims in all this, though. Not content with wishing the best for their own club...a club that is undoubtedly working hard to be better on and off the pitch, they think that the world is against them, that everyone and everything is trying to do their club down.

Real fans? Ha!

Edited by JohnM, 01 January 2013 - 08:47 AM.

#29 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

I see the New Years Resolution that Rugby League fans will be positive, cheerful and happy about The Greatest Game didn't last long.

#30 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

The problem with the world cup is that we all know we will get battered. We've had 40 years of failure on that front. There's no evidence to suggest otherwise, so what positives do you pick out of the "statement"? .

#31 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

I'm sorry to say, that hanging the future of the greatest game in the world on a farcical WC is bordering on lunacy. Get real people and wake up, how are the media going to take a competition which only has 2 teams with any realistic chance of winning it going to capture the imagination,?

Can you honestly see any of the following progressing past either the Aussies, England or Kiwi's? We are not in the same league as the Aussies and Kiwi's and Ladies and gentlemen I give you:- USA, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, PNG, Fiji, France, Samoa, The Cook Islands, Tonga and Italy. France are probably the best of these and were thumped by us in the recent International Mickey Mouse competition. I dare say any of the top 6 championship clubs would be more than a match for any of the others.

Surely you must see this?

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 01 January 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#32 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

do everyone a favour and stop watching RL you negative ######

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#33 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

They see themselves as the victims in all this, though. Not content with wishing the best for their own club...a club that is undoubtedly working hard to be better on and off the pitch, they think that the world is against them, that everyone and everything is trying to do their club down.

Real fans? Ha!

john. You have no idea what I think or feel!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#34 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

Which is what I'm being panned for!! :rolleyes:
I have retreated from SL and the international game preferring to support my club and the amateur game.

#35 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

I'm sorry to say, that hanging the future of the greatest game in the world on a farcical WC is bordering on lunacy. Get real people and wake up, how are the media going to take a competition which only has 2 teams with any realistic chance of winning it going to capture the imagination,?

Can you honestly see any of the following progressing past either the Aussies, England or Kiwi's? We are not in the same league as the Aussies and Kiwi's and Ladies and gentlemen I give you:- USA, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, PNG, Fiji, France, Samoa, The Cook Islands, Tonga and Italy. France are probably the best of these and were thumped by us in the recent International Mickey Mouse competition. I dare say any of the top 6 championship clubs would be more than a match for any of the others.

Surely you must see this?

The 4 nations, a lesser comp in many peoples eyes, gets more media attention than the rest of the season. Every year we play it, it gets more pages in the press than other games. More mentions on TV, more mentions on BBC breakfast etc. Yet you think the World cup will be ignored??
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#36 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

But how can anyone be positive when looking at the state of the game? Especially you Roughyed fans? I really genuinely feel for you guys and Hornets fans too, I fail to see how you are going to survive in CH1 long term. How many fans are South Wales, London, Gateshead, Hemel, Gloucester and Oxford going to bring with them to help you to stay afloat? Not many,

How many seasons do you realistically think you have left before you can no longer afford to survive. It breaks my heart to think of clubs with a long and proud history like you and Rochdale struggling to survive at the whim of the guys in charge. How will the game be improved by letting you and Rochdale go the same way as Blackpool?

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 01 January 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#37 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

New Year - same negative ###### from the usual suspects.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#38 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

New Year - same negative ###### from the usual suspects.

I haven't felt positive about the game for going on 20 years. I don't expect anyone to follow my point of view and I wouldn't want you or anyone to do anything but enjoy your rugby, however and wherever you choose.

#39 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,669 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

"But it was appropriate to celebrate and be glad, for this, your brother, was dead, and is alive again. He was lost, and is found."

Luke 15:32, World English Bible

#40 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Truely unbelievable.

I wonder what you 'fans' of the game,think that prospective sponsors and broadcasters think of your views/attitude.I tend to believe that those who complain most in life,contribute least towards anything.

Dispite the efforts of John and his collegues,frankly this site is beginning to do more damage to RL,than help it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users