• This topic is locked This topic is locked
286 replies to this topic

#41 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,743 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Mr Wood,

Since taking control of the sport, you have single handedly crippled our game. If you want a reminder of some of your blunder's, here is a quick recap:-

1. Crusader's, Bradford, Salford,Wakefield, Blackpool, Barrow - Bust.

2. Wakefield, Castleford, - In the doldrums and severely struggling, like Wakey missed every target set in the last round of licencing regarding ground improvements.

3. London Average gates just over 1000.

4. Licensing, introduced to ensure 1-5 on this list cannot happen, that worked well didn't it!

5. Magic Weekend - Lets take the game around the British Isles, spread the gospel! Another Epic Fail.

6. Halifax's SL application the worst the RFL has ever seen.

7.Internationally - I don't think we have ever been further away from competing with the Aussies and Kiwi's,

8. 2nd most watched sport on Sky yet you "give" the sponsorship away for no money.

The game is a laughing stock, and the book stops with you Mr Wood!

1. The clubs sent themselves bust?

2. The clubs didn't get help from their council and could not afford grounds on their own

3. London average 2808 and have an ever improving player production line going

4. Licensing picked the 14 clubs with the most money, the clubs sent themselves bust

5. So locals didn't show up, at least it was tried

6. Halifax made the application Licensing commitee threw it out

7. We've been miles behind for 40 years, their game is a national sport and rich ours is regional and poor

8. Nobody wanted to buy the sponsorship.

I've no argument with your analysis of the games problems but to heap the blame on Nigel Wood in the way you do is to indicate that he could have stopped clubs going bust, got Cas and wakey grounds built, got people away from the M62 to take interest in our game, built up Great Britain into an Aussie beating team, and found six figure sponsors for Superleague???

Where on this planet would we find a chief exec that could do these things in a sport that is tiny compared to soccer, Union and Australian RL, in a sport where we only have one TV option, where we have to take what we are given in sponsorship because nobody wants a tiny regional game, where the paying audience is no more than 150K,and where the vast majority of British people have no interest in playing or watching the game??

If Mr. Wood has got it wrong, in these areas enlighten us as to what he should have done to get it right???

#42 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,412 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Truely unbelievable.

Dispite the efforts of John and his collegues,frankly this site is beginning to do more damage to RL,than help it.

I must've missed that bit in the forum rules saying "Only positive postings allowed and posts making any suggestion other than the game is wonderful, it's management the best in the world and the world cup will rival the olympics will be treated as treason"!!!! :rolleyes:!!
I don't share your enthusiasm for the statement in the OP! C'est la vie!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#43 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

1. The clubs sent themselves bust?

2. The clubs didn't get help from their council and could not afford grounds on their own

3. London average 2808 and have an ever improving player production line going

4. Licensing picked the 14 clubs with the most money, the clubs sent themselves bust

5. So locals didn't show up, at least it was tried

6. Halifax made the application Licensing commitee threw it out

7. We've been miles behind for 40 years, their game is a national sport and rich ours is regional and poor

8. Nobody wanted to buy the sponsorship.

I've no argument with your analysis of the games problems but to heap the blame on Nigel Wood in the way you do is to indicate that he could have stopped clubs going bust, got Cas and wakey grounds built, got people away from the M62 to take interest in our game, built up Great Britain into an Aussie beating team, and found six figure sponsors for Superleague???

Where on this planet would we find a chief exec that could do these things in a sport that is tiny compared to soccer, Union and Australian RL, in a sport where we only have one TV option, where we have to take what we are given in sponsorship because nobody wants a tiny regional game, where the paying audience is no more than 150K,and where the vast majority of British people have no interest in playing or watching the game??

If Mr. Wood has got it wrong, in these areas enlighten us as to what he should have done to get it right???

If the game is so tiny, maybe there's an argument that its too small to warrant elitism within it?

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 01 January 2013 - 10:48 AM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#44 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,083 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

It breaks my heart to think of clubs with a long and proud history like you and Rochdale struggling to survive at the whim of the guys in charge. How will the game be improved by letting you and Rochdale go the same way as Blackpool?

How is Oldham's plight anyone else's fault but there own?
Posted Image

#45 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,743 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

If the game is so tiny, maybe there's an argument that its too small to warrant elitism within it?

Is this what it's really about Terry? Elitism??

SKY paid the game £90,000,000 to create an "elite". SKY would not pay anyone outside that elite.

Wood had to deliver the contract.

I've already floated the idea maybe we should have turned SKY down, the general concensus seemed to be top players would leave, crowds would drop and the game would spiral downwards.

Or is it merely about P & R? If so for Lordies sake bring it back NOW if it'll unite us all.

#46 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,412 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Is this what it's really about Terry? Elitism??

SKY paid the game £90,000,000 to create an "elite". SKY would not pay anyone outside that elite.

It's one of the reasons I don't and won't have sky!!! - though their involvement in RL is only a minor reason as to why I dispise the murdochs so much!

Or is it merely about P & R? If so for Lordies sake bring it back NOW if it'll unite us all.

I think it would go a long way towards it Parky lad!

#47 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,743 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

It's one of the reasons I don't and won't have sky!!! - though their involvement in RL is only a minor reason as to why I dispise the murdochs so much!

I think P & R would go a long way towards it Parky lad!

Fair enough Robin.

Do you know if Mr. Campbell and Mr. Nahaboo/your BOD want P & R by the way??

As I understand it Batley would refuse promotion?

#48 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,083 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Who said the game was tiny?

The problem with the moaners on here is that they never offer a better solution. They think they do, but they really don't.

Basically, you want the game to bring itself down in standards so that everyone can compete. Yet you'll complain that we can't compete internationally.
Posted Image

#49 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,258 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

How is Oldham's plight anyone else's fault but there own?

Because Championship 1 has a structure excluding most of the best teams outside of the Championship?

#50 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,833 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Ive said it before and ill say it again.

I love rugby league me!

#51 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,412 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Fair enough Robin.

Do you know if Mr. Campbell and Mr. Nahaboo/your BOD want P & R by the way??

As I understand it Batley would refuse promotion?

and that's what I advocate Parky! Opportunity. If I remember correctly Halifax would have refused promotion and taken a cash option some years ago - memory could again be tricking me into talking balls again here??
Winners of the GF = an option to take up a place in SL at the expense of the club finishing bum end??
I haven't a clue about Faishal. I don't know him. Both Mark has advocated for P&R in the past and Andy Prout, a previous CEO was very vocal in the support for a return to P&R. I haven't asked possy but he appears to be working his ar se for a successful licence application. i.e. P&R isn't an option at the mo. so to achieve sl the club have to jump thru the hoops - so he's finding the hoops and jumpin thru em!!

Right..... I have to attend the centre of the universe now. Got Hunslet in a friendly at 1pm!!

"ya better leave town if you only want to mock us.Cos nothing takes the pressure like the fev city rockers"! (Strummer/Jones 1977)

#52 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

If I remember correctly Halifax would have refused promotion and taken a cash option some years ago - memory could again be tricking me into talking balls again here??

It must be. Halifax haven't ever stated that, you might be thinking of Doncaster the year Widnes were relegated.

#53 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

who truly love RL

Define truly loving RL?

#54 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Who said the game was tiny?

Parky did
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#55 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

I love Rugby League at many levels. But as usual, the spin coming from the RFL does nothing for me. I dont think the RFL have a clue and will just agree with the SL clubs instead of the game.Wood and Rimmer are clueless and have no leadership qualities to push the game forward. Wood has not addressed what his plans are or how he and the game will address the problems in the game. I want to know the following

What the RFL intend to do to improve standards both on and off the field in SL and the Championship?
What is the RFL planning to do so that we dont see further SL clubs announce massive money problems?
What is the RFL planning to do, to keep helping the Development of the game at amateur level especially in NE England, Midlands etc?
What is the RFLs plan regarding academy both at SL and Championship level?
How does he and the RFL intend to bring closer the various factions in the game?

I cant see anywhere in this statement or elsewhere that Wood, Rimmer and RFL have any idea on what to do and instead just agree with short term thinking of clubs. I am not alone in thinking Wood and Rimmer are the wrong people to lead our game and I cant see the various problems in the game getting any better. I think the many championship fans that refuse to watch the WC or SL have a problem with the administration of the game not the game itself. I know a number of Championship fans who follow Fev, Fax etc who follow the amateur game or involved in it. I know many amateur players and fans who dont attend ANY pro game what so ever. People like JohnM who call a number of Fev fans, non RL fans is typical of his arrogant attitude and belief the RFL and SL is so great. People have major issues with the RFL and how it does things. The RFL have driven a wedge between certain factions in the game. Instead of trying to mock or make fun of people JohnM and others including the RFL should be looking at why these people think this way and accept/understand why they feel this way.

#56 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,743 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Mark has advocated for P&R in the past

I have to attend Hunslet in a friendly at 1pm!!

Fair enough, I just think if someone wants P & R or their club to get in SL they should check their BOD want the same. If not moan at them first. Let me know the score today Robin!

#57 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,743 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Parky did

Snitch.

Anyway I meant "tiny compared" or "relatively small"

#58 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,779 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

(Several abusive/trolling posts removed).

I think it would help if people could try to appreciate other people's sincerely held viewpoints on here without resorting to (or responding to) general insults and deliberate trolling.

It is possible to love the sport without necessarily liking or agreeing with every aspect of how it is run.

Debate your disagreements honestly and openly on here by all means. Perhaps even agree with each other about some things (imagine that!?). But cut out the insults and the trolling, otherwise this thread will just end up being locked as I haven't the time or the patience today to fillet out any more of the acceptable posts from the unacceptable.

Thank you and Happy New Year.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#59 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,566 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

I'll be honest, I completely and utterly do not understand why people who feel so badly about RL the waste their time and energy over it. Seriously, leave the game.

Oh what's that?....its your game and you had it first? :rolleyes:

Boring boring boring. Please leave RL to die if that's what to be, just go away...whatever...do one.

#60 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,743 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

I want to know the following

1. What the RFL intend to do to improve standards both on and off the field in SL and the Championship?
2. What is the RFL planning to do so that we dont see further SL clubs announce massive money problems?
3. What is the RFL planning to do, to keep helping the Development of the game at amateur level especially in NE England, Midlands etc?
4. What is the RFLs plan regarding academy both at SL and Championship level?
5. How does he and the RFL intend to bring closer the various factions in the game?

Fair set of questions. Anybody seen/know an answer to any of these? Perhaps the RL journos have reported on these questions? Anyone know if the RFL answer such questions to private enquirers??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users