RFL media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
286 replies to this topic

#81 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

The root cause of all this is unpleasantness is the removal of P & R and the perceived lack of opportunity and fairness whether that be justified or not. Hopefully the outcome of the RFL's current review may go some way towards resolving things.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#82 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,850 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Parky did

No he didn't.

Where on this planet would we find a chief exec that could do these things in a sport that is tiny compared to soccer, Union and Australian RL, in a sport where we only have one TV option, where we have to take what we are given in sponsorship because nobody wants a tiny regional game, where the paying audience is no more than 150K,and where the vast majority of British people have no interest in playing or watching the game??

Tiny in comparison, not tiny.

Where's these suggestions to improve the game then?...
Posted Image

#83 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Happy New Year.

And to you and yours. It occurs to me that if England do win the World Cup, then there won't be many members of this forum around - most of them wil have died of apoplexy :D

#84 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

The RFL are the most inept administrators in any sport i have ever known, they want all the amateur clubs and pro clubs to treat everyone the same regardless of colour, creed, religion, sexual orientation and yes we all buy into it, but they dont practise what they preach, they dont treat all there member clubs the same and that is all we want. I have nothing against teams in far off places i have even played at Hemel what i do have a problem with is the way Crusaders were disgracefully put in super league. The thing is it was obvious the RFL didnt even follow there own criteria if they had they wouldnt of been put in. We all know Salford will not get the same treatment as Bradford and how dare they talk of expansion after the Gateshull and Huddersheff fiascos. Castleford have conned there every licence with the stadium when it was obvious to most it would never be built, we all know Crusaders would of been in had they not pulled out so who went through there finances, who went through Bradfords to give them a B licence, who went through Salfords. 14 clubs have given themselves an elitest status they far from deserve, the rest of us some famous old clubs left to rot in the lower divisions, is there any wonder we wont support the world cup or super league, any wonder we dont give a flying shiiiiite when another team goes tiiits up

#85 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

A blue square club can go through the Leagues and play in the elite league. A Championship club can't.

ya beat me to it Ian!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#86 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,072 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

A blue square club can go through the Leagues and play in the elite league. A Championship club can't.

In theory, yes they can. The reality depends on money and shedloads of it. There are only a few Sheik Mansours and Abramovitches around, even in football.

If say, Oxford did ok and got a big money backer, in a few years they could be in the top flight. So where's the difference really?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#87 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Although technically possible, P&R can work in Football due to money distribution throughout the game due to huge amounts of money in all walks of the game, it wouldn't happen, as as soon as they reached the League 2 or League 1 their ground would not be big enough to be promoted up a tier, plus they more than likely would not be able to gain enough investment to buy in the players to win League 1 or even League 2, unless they have a sugar daddy to pay for them to buy players to get promotion to League 1.

When will RL fans realise that until their is money in RL it is not possible to have P&R between Tier 1 & Tier 2 in RL. If SL lowered the salary cap, to redistribute the money in RL in the UK, then the best RL players in the UK/France would move over to RU or the NRL en masse. Plus if say Sheffield had been 'promoted' in 2013, where would the money have came from for them to buy and pay full-time professional Rugby players?

Edited by HappyDave, 01 January 2013 - 03:44 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#88 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

1. The root cause of all this is unpleasantness is the removal of P & R and the perceived lack of opportunity and fairness

2. Whether that be justified or not.

1. Is it Terry? There's 20,000 championship fans, and a good 20+ of those come on here and moan like hell about there being no P & R and lose their manners over it. I'd say the unpleasantness is just good old keyboard warriorship.

2. The lousy manners aren't justified, dunno whether P & R is justified? The record in the first 10 years was the same clubs going up and down and only those with money surviving in SL with some clubs turning promotion down.

I suppose we could try it again for a few years and produce the same farce, then the put licensing back in.

If Fev went up under P & R and came straight back down again we'd have another load of unpleasantness from the mocking :D .

Edited by The Parksider, 01 January 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#89 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Plus if say Sheffield had been 'promoted' in 2013, where would the money have came from for them to buy and pay full-time professional Rugby players?

Out of thin air I suppose, more to the point where would the full time players come from?

Widnes have found it hard to find any?

I'm awaiting the RFL's outcome on the structure of the game with baited breath. Will it be 10 & 10 with P & R?

Will it be a retreat to 12 clubs??

When will that change take effect.

If it's from 2015 then we could get a whole load more unpleasantness from the usual sources if the promise to promote a CC club is lost with the 14 club structure.

#90 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Although technically possible, P&R can work in Football due to money distribution throughout the game due to huge amounts of money in all walks of the game, it wouldn't happen, as as soon as they reached the League 2 or League 1 their ground would not be big enough to be promoted up a tier, plus they more than likely would not be able to gain enough investment to buy in the players to win League 1 or even League 2, unless they have a sugar daddy to pay for them to buy players to get promotion to League 1.

When will RL fans realise that until their is money in RL it is not possible to have P&R between Tier 1 & Tier 2 in RL. If SL lowered the salary cap, to redistribute the money in RL in the UK, then the best RL players in the UK/France would move over to RU or the NRL en masse. Plus if say Sheffield had been 'promoted' in 2013, where would the money have came from for them to buy and pay full-time professional Rugby players?

Both you and Jon have used the words in theory and technically, which means it's possible.

In RL at the moment it is impossible, that is the reason why I could not give a damm about the world cup.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#91 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Both you and Jon have used the words in theory and technically, which means it's possible.

In RL at the moment it is impossible, that is the reason why I could not give a damm about the world cup.

Widnes got promotion? Therefore it is possilbe...in theory...
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#92 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

14 clubs have given themselves an elitest status they far from deserve, the rest of us some famous old clubs left to rot in the lower divisions......

The 14 clubs with the most money out of the 16 who applied got in that was how it was.

There were 4 x A licenses. To me an A licence means you have a viable business plan

a B, a C or rejection means your in various stages of being skint and half the business plan is wishful thinking.

Outside those who applied i.e. the clubs left to rot you'll probably find they are all double skint or treble skint.

Don't get me wrong, your lads must go in SL 2015 it's only fair

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy for P & R to come back.

It may however not turn out to be the utopia people think.

#93 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Cc clubs are having to jump through burning fuelled filled hoops to get a sniff of sl.
Sl watch the are se fall out of sl clubs yet their licence remains safe!
Fairness my big ginger botty!!!
I'll take my chance with p&r parky! !

Edited by Robin Evans, 01 January 2013 - 04:09 PM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#94 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

I'll take my chance with p&r parky! !

Good luck.......

#95 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Some posters seem to be getting rather irate and, perhaps, a bit irrational. Championship clubs cannot make it into the 'elite' league? I must have missed something, but I have a vivid recollection of Widnes playing in the Championship a couple of years ago, and I'm pretty sure they were in SL last season.

Where am I going wrong?

edit: Just seen that Bedford Roughyed got here first while I was typing.

Edited by tonyXIII, 01 January 2013 - 04:13 PM.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#96 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Widnes got promotion? Therefore it is possilbe...in theory...

So did Crusaders but jus like Widnes they were placed in and did not earn it.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#97 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Mr L T Sidestep,

I support the current World Club Champions and the club who have won 5 of the last 6 Superleague Grand Finals. Please could you, in your wisdom, describe my attitude to Rugby League at all levels.

Thanks, Wiltshire Rhino

Don't give a toss to be honest.

Same as I don't about SL and the World Cup. But then again the likes of Kenny don't think I "truly love RL" because of that... Although, his post seems to have disappeared. Wonder why?

#98 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Some posters seem to be getting rather irate and, perhaps, a bit irrational. Championship clubs cannot make it into the 'elite' league? I must have missed something, but I have a vivid recollection of Widnes playing in the Championship a couple of years ago, and I'm pretty sure they were in SL last season.

Where am I going wrong?

edit: Just seen that Bedford Roughyed got here first while I was typing.

See my reply to Bedford Roughyed then.

Franchising and not p & r is one of the reason why I could not give a toss about the World Cup.

#99 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Don't give a toss to be honest.

Same as I don't about SL and the World Cup. But then again the likes of Kenny don't think I "truly love RL" because of that... Although, his post seems to have disappeared. Wonder why?

nothing to do with me - I presume John deleted it.

And no you don't truly love rugby league - you love Fev an the league they play in - how can you truly love the game and not want England to win the World Cup for example?

I watch Internationals, Super league, went to the Championship Grand Final and have been heavily involved with Coventry Bears until I moved away. Do you see?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#100 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,072 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

I'd say it is more than likely a club like Fev or Leigh will be in the top flight soon-ish. Its far from impossible.

That the whole process (ie licensing) has been handled badly doesn't mean it has not got merit. Its like arguing that we should scrap the cops because people still commit crime.

Nb I probably lean towards p&r FYI.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users