Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Statement from RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood

RFL media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
286 replies to this topic

#101 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

See my reply to Bedford Roughyed then.

Franchising and not p & r is one of the reason why I could not give a toss about the World Cup.

"They were placed in". Pure semantics. They won the contest that decided who went into SL. More semantics, mine this time.

These arguments really are "You say 'potayto' and I say 'potahto'." Pointless, really.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#102 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

"They were placed in". Pure semantics. They won the contest that decided who went into SL. More semantics, mine this time.

These arguments really are "You say 'potayto' and I say 'potahto'." Pointless, really.

Disagree, the sport is Rugby League. The contest should be the the game and not how well you can kiss the RFLs but.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#103 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

nothing to do with me - I presume John deleted it.

And no you don't truly love rugby league - you love Fev an the league they play in - how can you truly love the game and not want England to win the World Cup for example?

I watch Internationals, Super league, went to the Championship Grand Final and have been heavily involved with Coventry Bears until I moved away. Do you see?

Did you not go to the Challenge Cup final, or the Northern Rail cup final? Though you would have seeing as though you truly love RL. Also the Barla Cup final, NCL Grand final etc?

#104 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Out of thin air I suppose, more to the point where would the full time players come from?

Widnes have found it hard to find any?

I'm awaiting the RFL's outcome on the structure of the game with baited breath. Will it be 10 & 10 with P & R?

Will it be a retreat to 12 clubs??

When will that change take effect.

If it's from 2015 then we could get a whole load more unpleasantness from the usual sources if the promise to promote a CC club is lost with the 14 club structure.

For some reason fans NL1 clubs who are pro-P&R appear to completely ignore my second paragraph...

We all know what a huge balls-up it was giving Celtic Crusaders a Licence, as they were far far from ready, but Widnes gained their Licence fair and square as they had the structure, stadium and finances in place as well as winning the NR Cup.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#105 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

For some reason fans NL1 clubs who are pro-P&R appear to completely ignore my second paragraph...

We all know what a huge balls-up it was giving Celtic Crusaders a Licence, as they were far far from ready, but Widnes gained their Licence fair and square as they had the structure, stadium and finances in place as well as winning the NR Cup.

Winning the NR cup with dual reg players then doing naff all for 2 seasons. Yes SL place well earned.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#106 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Winning the NR cup with dual reg players then doing naff all for 2 seasons. Yes SL place well earned.

Boo-hoo-hoo... Cry me a river. Where would Fev get the 100s of thousands to survive in SL?...
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#107 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Lucky for the RFL they did win the NRC as RL and NW had already told SOC they were 100% in anyway:)

I have no doubt that you are correct but I also reckon that SOC would have invested in better players if they did not win the NL cup until that particular box was ticked. So by ticking the box early Widnes fans were treated to mediocre rugby for 2 seasons.

#108 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,995 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Did you not go to the Challenge Cup final, or the Northern Rail cup final? Though you would have seeing as though you truly love RL. Also the Barla Cup final, NCL Grand final etc?

Challenge cup final no - I was on holiday but have been every year for as long as I can remember and will go next year.

BARLA cup - no, purely down to geography though - I would have gone if I still lived in Yorkshire.

I hope that helps you - in summary I support all levels of RL
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#109 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,995 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Challenge cup final no - I was on holiday but have been every year for as long as I can remember and will go next year.

BARLA cup - no, purely down to geography though - I would have gone if I still lived in Yorkshire.

forgot to say that I watch any televised game - as opposed to the Fev crowd who won;t watch the Word Cup or Super League
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#110 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

What about the Northern Rail Cup final?

#111 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Boo-hoo-hoo... Cry me a river. Where would Fev get the 100s of thousands to survive in SL?...

Nice attitude, very similar to the RFLs.

In the response to your 2nd question, you obviousley know very little about my clubs current state.

#112 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,995 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

What about the Northern Rail Cup final?

Meant to say that my location hinders that one too - watched it on telly though and loved it.

Is that OK?

As for any other fixtures that you can come up with, the answer will be the same - I have a genuine love of all levels of RL but can't actually go to as many games as I'd like - I really hope this is ok for you.

Oh and I've registered as a volunteer for the RLWC 2013 as I truly love the game

Posted Image

#113 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

nothing to do with me - I presume John deleted it.

And no you don't truly love rugby league - you love Fev an the league they play in - how can you truly love the game and not want England to win the World Cup for example?

I watch Internationals, Super league, went to the Championship Grand Final and have been heavily involved with Coventry Bears until I moved away. Do you see?

Your hilarious.

You're a 'true fan' because you watch (notice you don't say attend?) Internationals, Super league, went to the Championship Grand Final and have been heavily involved with Coventry Bears, yet poor me who attends many CC and CC1 games both involving and not involving Fev, have been to most NL/CC grand finals for the past 15 years or so, NRC finals, watches amatuer RL isn't?

And why would I want England to win the World Cup - I'm not English, nor of any nationality taking part :D

#114 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Meant to say that my location hinders that one too - watched it on telly though and loved it.

Is that OK?

As for any other fixtures that you can come up with, the answer will be the same - I have a genuine love of all levels of RL but can't actually go to as many games as I'd like - I really hope this is ok for you.

Oh and I've registered as a volunteer for the RLWC 2013 as I truly love the game

But you don't love it enough to travel for it. So just really an arm chair fan really. Oh well. You are no more of a fan than the other people posting on here.

#115 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

My Dads bigger than yours....
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#116 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,625 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

I must've missed that bit in the forum rules saying "Only positive postings allowed and posts making any suggestion other than the game is wonderful, it's management the best in the world and the world cup will rival the olympics will be treated as treason"!!!! :rolleyes:!!
I don't share your enthusiasm for the statement in the OP! C'est la vie!

Stop talking sense Parky. You especially should know by now that this isn't what these forums are for.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#117 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

There's more examples of the extremes people deal in here. Why does hoping for a successful WC (which WILL benefit all the game) mean that you think it will rival the Olympics or something ridiculous?
I hope for a great tournament on and off the pitch but know its not massive. Why do you have to be so anti-everything in RL? Its bloody hard work not to get peed off with it all.

#118 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

ya beat me to it Ian!

They can't without *more* money than Man City. What is sport about that? What is 'on the pitch' about it? It all hinges on money.....so where is the difference?

#119 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

John. I dont know you but you seem to enjoy your rugby. Brilliant. I hope you enjoy your rugby wherever and whenever you choose to watch it. I hope the game is all you want it to be.
I may have a very different opinion to you on the direction the game is being taken. I wont abuse you. Take the rise out of you or rebuke you for holding those views and I wont ever try and elecit others to follow my views - tho its clesr some do!
I dont think I can get it across any clearer.
I just cant bring myself to support beyond the championship.

Edited by Robin Evans, 01 January 2013 - 05:59 PM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#120 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

I hope you enjoy it too. That's the main thing. :)