Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Statement from RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood

RFL media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
286 replies to this topic

#121 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 671 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

The RFL are the most inept administrators in any sport i have ever known,

More inept than Football, RU, Tennis?

they want all the amateur clubs and pro clubs to treat everyone the same regardless of colour, creed, religion, sexual orientation and yes we all buy into it,

What a geneous spirit you have.

but they dont practise what they preach, they dont treat all there member clubs the same and that is all we want. I have nothing against teams in far off places i have even played at Hemel what i do have a problem with is the way Crusaders were disgracefully put in super league.

How were they admitted into SL in a disgraceful manner?

The thing is it was obvious the RFL didnt even follow there own criteria if they had they wouldnt of been put in.

Please explain.

We all know Salford will not get the same treatment as Bradford

Well they bring a lot less to RL than Bradford, but the situation with Brdford is very different. So the help they get is going to be different.

we all know Crusaders would of been in had they not pulled out so who went through there finances,

The reason they pulled out was because they would not haves the audit, more a case of Crusaders saving face because it seems that the RFL knew they were not going to be in a position financially to support a 3 year licence.

#122 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,993 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

But you don't love it enough to travel for it. So just really an arm chair fan really. Oh well. You are no more of a fan than the other people posting on here.

Oh dear God - great argument that mate - great argument.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#123 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Oh dear God - great argument that mate - great argument.

It not an argument. It's just my opinion based on the facts you provided.

#124 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Disagree, the sport is Rugby League. The contest should be the the game and not how well you can kiss the RFLs but.

Deary me! More semantics. Tell you what, forget it.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#125 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

They can't without *more* money than Man City. What is sport about that? What is 'on the pitch' about it? It all hinges on money.....so where is the difference?

Blackpool got pomoted to the elite league without spending anywhere near what Man City has. To compete with Man City for the league then yes they would need to spend big but in order to play in the same League they finished in a promotion position and were rewarded. So there is the difference.

Edited by Ian (Pencil) Elliott, 01 January 2013 - 06:53 PM.

"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#126 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Nice attitude, very similar to the RFLs.

In the response to your 2nd question, you obviousley know very little about my clubs current state.

Maybe we don't know anything about your club's current state. But I have certainly got the picture with regard to your club's fans' current state of mind.

#127 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 299 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Ive said it before and ill say it again.

I love rugby league me!

Me too. I love every bit of our flawed but wonderful sport. And I was a shareholder at the Thunder too, before anyone thinks I must be a Super League lackey!

Back on topic, and Wood has a tough job on his hands for sure, and I too wish for clear honest leadership and long term thinking, especially given his salary. However, his job is made even more difficult by the incompetence and short sightedness of many of the clubs themselves, but 'twas ever thus.

2013 will be brilliant, and I can't wait to see Gloucester play Gateshead, watch Sam being both hero and villain simultaneously, and watch the best players on the planet strut their stuff in the World Cup. And I am guessing I am not alone, despite what you read on here!

Edited by Mushy, 01 January 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#128 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Maybe we don't know anything about your club's current state. But I have certainly got the picture with regard to your club's fans' current state of mind.

Good, as long as you know where we stand.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#129 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Soon, the RFL will have a new Executive Chairman (Richard Lewis' old position) - albeit on a part time basis. This is a crucial appointment with regards to the immediate future of the sport. Someone coming in from outside the game with no baggage, fresh ideas and a great deal of impetus would really help right now. I have to admit I've not been impressed with some of the ways the RFL has been governing the sport in recent years, but they're not all bad. Some departments are actually quite good; others are hopeless (see the performance department who put so many obstacles in the way of Fev and Sheffield running Academy sides).

Still, I find the attitude of certain Championship fans towards the World Cup incredibly worrying. Not supporting Super League because you hate the current have/have nots divide and lack of automatic P&R is understandable in some ways (even though I don't agree with this attitude myself), but not supporting the World Cup because you don't like the RFL, Nigel Wood and co is both hugely depressing and utterly bizarre. International competition is the pinnacle of any sport, and ours should be no different. What's not to like about seeing the best players in the World, from many different competing nations, going head to head on our shores? This World Cup is a rare opportunity to sell the sport to a new audience - as followers of Rugby League, surely we want to see the game expand its fanbase and win new "customers" (as the clubs and RFL call them)?

Back in 2008, I went down to Australia to take in the World Cup, not for work but as a fan. It was great fun. That World Cup also had its problems, and England were dreadful, but that didn't stop me enjoying it for what it was - a celebration of The Greatest Game of all.

The 2013 World Cup should be similarly celebratory, but it only will be if people support it. If Rugby League fans don't support it, how can we expect newcomers and casual sports fans to support it? At least the RLWC marketing team have the right idea in trying to target casual sports fans, families and those who go to watch sporting "occasions" - that way they might attract some people to the tournament and sport that enjoy it for what it is, rather than finding excuses not to turn up or doing it down before the first match has even kicked off.

Rugby League as a sport in the UK has problems, but they're not terminal. There are things I worry about and things the RFL have seriously got wrong. The biggest worry, though, is the negative attitude of so many fans. Others on this thread have mentioned this and been told "well, you don't count because you're a Super League fan". I support a club in the Championship, and one that may be destined to be a lower league club forever (who knows!). If they never get back into Super League, so what? It's not the be all and end all. As long as they exist, continue to work hard getting kids into League and do things the right way, I'll be happy. I guess that makes me a bit odd. Then again, my club briefly ceased to exist in 1999. When that happens - when your club is taken away from you by, yes, SLE, the RFL and the directors of two different clubs - you get a different perspective on things.

Oh, and living outside of the "heartlands" makes you appreciate the game even more. Those of you who live in the "heartlands", with access to pro and amateur RL on your doorstep, don't know how lucky you are. Please, let's have a little positivity occasionally!
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#130 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

This could be a really good discussion about some valid issues in the game. However, one isn't happening due to the sheer number of people that have decided to do the following:
1) Stereotype people simply for supporting a SL club - something that apparently means they don't care about any other part of the game. Last time I checked, the vast majority of people who play, coach, volunteer and watch the amateur game in Hull are fans of a SL club. But clearly they're only bothered about SL...
It's a non-argument used by desperate people that can't argue their point properly, so if you use it, you admit you don't have a strong enough point to support your own opinion.

2) Attempting to counter-argue by using extremes. It's just silly, and again shows you don't have a good argument.

3) Making up your own facts and exaggerating.

4) Name calling.

If anyone would like to engage in an honest and genuine discussion about the state of the game, I'll be happy to join in. But I seriously can't be bothered with yet another b*tchfest to see who can whinge and lie the most to prove why they're the most miserable sod in the world! I'm not asking you to pretend to be positive about everything, just to accept that not everything is negative!

Posted Image

#131 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Dont thonk I do q, 2, 3 or 4 tho do concede I can whinge my ar se off regards how the game is managed.
That why I choose the path I take. Like I saod to john, if you enjoy it, brilliant. I hope you have a great time.
I'll do something else to support rugby.
Miserable b'stard??? Aye, perhaps! :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#132 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

So, I'll give a go at getting my points out there.

Do I think licensing is a farce? No. Why? Because over the last few years it has seen clubs HAVE to improve off the field. There has been more process in club development than ever.
Licensing is not the reason why clubs are going getting into trouble. The recession is biting everyone and most business are feeling the pinch. Is that due to licensing?
The sooner people can accept that their own club's problems are the result of their own club's management, the sooner they can help.

Would I prefer to see P&R come back? Yes, in time. I see licensing as a catalyst to improve standards across the board, and so far it's happening. The strong are surviving and the pretenders are struggling. That's the way it is in pro sport. There are winners and losers both on and off the pitch.
The ironic thing is that many of the people I've seen argue for the return of P&R have also said at some point that their team probably isn't ready for SL.

The game isn't perfect. There are loads of issues. But not everything the RFL do is bad or evil. I just don't see how anything can make you happy if you have that attitude. The RFL will (rightly) not waste time on people that cannot be made happy. It's a waste of resources!

Posted Image

#133 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Dont thonk I do q, 2, 3 or 4 tho do concede I can whinge my ar se off regards how the game is managed.
That why I choose the path I take. Like I saod to john, if you enjoy it, brilliant. I hope you have a great time.
I'll do something else to support rugby.
Miserable b'stard??? Aye, perhaps! :lol:

In fairness, you've been fair in your opinion. I don't agree with it, but that's your choice.

One thing I don't understand though is how you feel P&R would make a difference in making the fans happy, yet also state you've been disillusioned with the game for over 20 years (when there were periods of P&R)? What would make you less disillusioned?
Posted Image

#134 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Fairness. Equal opportunity.
Like I said in an earlier post. Clubs in sl have repeatedly gone ar se upperds. Sl have bent over to support, back, help these clubs - nowt wrong with that like.
Sametime clubs below sl have to overcome a whole host of obstacles to be even considered. There is no parity there in my opinion.
Then p&r. Again sl can go down the gary glitter but rest easy knowing their licence is all but untouchable. I coild win the euromillions tonight and pledge it all to fev. We still wouldn't be allowed in even if we win the gf.
There's more bit I woukd come across even more ar sey and im not really!! :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#135 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

i think wood, rimmer and co laid their cards firmly on the table during the bradford melt down. one quote i read was that "they have been world club champions" yet they stood by and watched the FIRST ever world club champions sliding to oblivion and they only thing they did was to deduct us 9 points. fast forward to 2011 and another club did go down the pan, RIP blackpool, and now we have salford, an average super league club who don't win trophies so guess what the support from red hall is deafeningly silent!!! every professional rugby league club in the country needs the same rights not just the chosen few..........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#136 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Blackpool got pomoted to the elite league without spending anywhere near what Man City has. To compete with Man City for the league then yes they would need to spend big but in order to play in the same League they finished in a promotion position and were rewarded. So there is the difference.

What was the point in Blackpool being in the PL? For the experience? Fair enough but why enter a division you have absolutely zero chance of winning without spending approx £1Billion?

I can understand the 'thrill of the ride' angle but effectively every club apart from 3 or 4 have been prevented from winning the PL by money....yet this is a model that RL should copy?

#137 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,081 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

i think wood, rimmer and co laid their cards firmly on the table during the bradford melt down. one quote i read was that "they have been world club champions" yet they stood by and watched the FIRST ever world club champions sliding to oblivion and they only thing they did was to deduct us 9 points. fast forward to 2011 and another club did go down the pan, RIP blackpool, and now we have salford, an average super league club who don't win trophies so guess what the support from red hall is deafeningly silent!!! every professional rugby league club in the country needs the same rights not just the chosen few..........

you keep banging on about this - until you can show they are being treated fundamentally different ie. Bulls being helped and Reds not, then your ramblings mean nothing.
There have been various mentions here and elsewhere of the RFL helping with investors.
What exactly do you want?

#138 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

you keep banging on about this - until you can show they are being treated fundamentally different ie. Bulls being helped and Reds not, then your ramblings mean nothing.
There have been various mentions here and elsewhere of the RFL helping with investors.

Agreed. As a Salford fan, I would love to hear the heralds signalling the arrival of a white knight. But, as an intelligent adult, I know that is not going to happen. Business discussions do not happen in the full glare of publicity, they take place behind closed doors, with commitments to secrecy. The silence is frustrating, but there was silence during the Bulls' saga (I remember the fans moaning about being kept in the dark) as well. I do not know if there is an investor waiting in the wings, I do not know if the rfl is helping or not, I do not know the true size of the black hole in Salford's accounts, or even if there is a black hole. And do you know what? I don't expect to know until after the event.

I do know this. If Salford survive in SL, I will continue to follow them. If Salford survive in the Championship, I will continue to follow them. If Salford die and are reformed in the Championship, I will continue to follow them. If Salford die completely, I will continue to follow the game of rugby league.

#139 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

the fact is dave that the rfl have done f all for teams who have been in dire financial strait like, widnes, halifax, whitehave, blackpool, oldham, gateshead, etc etc but were moving heaven and earth to help bradford. the facts are quite plain to see in the copious amount of coverage which was afforded by the press! and as yet there is no gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands at salfords plight, wood has even stolen my slogan of "save our salford" which appeared on this very forum fully 1 week before the rotund one mentioned it in the league express.....
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#140 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

I thought the RFL paid the Bradford players wages for half a season

To be fair they also bought the lease on the ground something I am not aware of them doing for any other club

Did they also put a staff member in free of charge (not sure on this one)