Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Statement from RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood

RFL media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
286 replies to this topic

#141 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

The RFL have helped plenty of clubs. Rochdale, Keighley and Oldham to name 3. Either loans, buying leases, lowering ground standards, etc.

They haven't got the money to save everyone from themselves, but seem happy to help when they can, if they can.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#142 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Yeah the RFL even forced Omar Khan to buy the Bulls. He didn't want to but they made him just to show how much they hate certain clubs. True story.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#143 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Nice attitude, very similar to the RFLs.

In the response to your 2nd question, you obviousley know very little about my clubs current state.

Okay then, what about Sheffield then? How would they NOT go Bankrupt? Where would there hundreds of thousands to survive come from?...

What was the revenue of Fleetwood Town & York City in 2011 compared to Charton Athletic & Sheffield Wednesday?...
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#144 Rach

Rach
  • Coach
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

New Year - same negative ###### from the usual suspects.

######

Mate spent last the 30 years as a spectaor, player and coach...stiil ,despite seeing my own pro team screwed over royaly time an time again , believing in the spirit of 1895 and the great game and folks we have involved in it , having stuck with it ...

My Final straw ....seeing players I developed and brought through the junior ranks , who have given their last 10 plus years into the dream of being professional players having that effort ignored by a ruling body who is happy to cast young players aside with out compassion or compunction and then claim we dont have the talent base to take on the Aussie's ....

Wood and the RFL are a joke ...nuff said

Edited by Rach, 01 January 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#145 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

We all know what a huge balls-up it was giving Celtic Crusaders a Licence, as they were far far from ready,

We all don't. When the money was there they went well.

Samuels business took a dip just like Richardsons and Wilkinsons.

Let's not be prejudice now Dave.....

#146 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

I thought the RFL paid the Bradford players wages for half a season

To be fair they also bought the lease on the ground something I am not aware of them doing for any other club

Did they also put a staff member in free of charge (not sure on this one)

well they have done similar things regarding leases but people dont like to talk about it as it doesnt suit.

The last I heard Sky money has been withheld for next year so I dont believe the RFL invested much if anything, and Jon Wilkinson suggested as much at the forum a couple of weeks back.

#147 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

######

Mate spent last the 30 years as a spectaor, player and coach...stiil ,despite seeing my own pro team screwed over royaly time an time again , believing in the spirit of 1895 and the great game and folks we have involved in it , having stuck with it ...

My Final straw ....seeing players I developed and brought through the junior ranks , who have given their last 10 plus years into the dream of being professional players having that effort ignored by a ruling body who is happy to cast young players aside with out compassion or compunction and then claim we dont have the talent base to take on the Aussie's ....

Wood and the RFL are a joke ...nuff said

Bloody hell rach. Even you???

My spewings are one thing. I know just how much you have put into the game - for years!!!
For you to voice your angst like this is something else!

Happy new year btw. See you at CP!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#148 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Salford, an average super league club who don't win trophies so guess what the support from red hall is deafeningly silent!!!

Why do they need Red Hall support? The prospective buyers are currently negotiating to improve the stadium deal for the club?

What do you want the RFL to do - make the coffee and teas at the meeting?

#149 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Every professional rugby league club in the country needs the same rights not just the chosen few..........

So should the RFL dock SKY money off Salford like they did Bradford then?

#150 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

So should the RFL dock SKY money off Salford like they did Bradford then?

Maybe that needs to be decided if/when Salford go into admin? ATM there is no reason to stop Salfords Sky monies.

#151 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Maybe that needs to be decided if/when Salford go into admin? ATM there is no reason to stop Salfords Sky monies.

Not even to satisfy Viking Warriors lust for Salford to be treated the same as Bradford? :(

#152 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

What was the point in Blackpool being in the PL? For the experience? Fair enough but why enter a division you have absolutely zero chance of winning without spending approx £1Billion?

I can understand the 'thrill of the ride' angle but effectively every club apart from 3 or 4 have been prevented from winning the PL by money....yet this is a model that RL should copy?

The point of Blackpool being promoted is that they deserved it and I bet that there supporters had one hell of a time in that one season. By taking on and beating some of the best clubs in the land during that one season will give those supporters memories that will last a lifetime. The best thing as well is that they did it with there own club, they did not jump ship to watch their larger rivals in the north west. They stuck with their club through thick and thin. Yes they came crashing back down to earth when they were relegated but they experienced all the highs and then the big low.

This is called sport, passion and loyalty. It's what makes some of us tick and what is currently denied to us in RL.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#153 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

The point of Blackpool being promoted is that they deserved it and I bet that there supporters had one hell of a time in that one season. By taking on and beating some of the best clubs in the land during that one season will give those supporters memories that will last a lifetime. The best thing as well is that they did it with there own club, they did not jump ship to watch their larger rivals in the north west. They stuck with their club through thick and thin. Yes they came crashing back down to earth when they were relegated but they experienced all the highs and then the big low.

This is called sport, passion and loyalty. It's what makes some of us tick and what is currently denied to us in RL.

I understand all that but its a pretty patronizing position to be in IMO. 'here you go lads, have a season or so in the top flight but as for winning it, don't even go there.

On top of this, RL is not football and must deal with its hand accordingly.

#154 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Not even to satisfy Viking Warriors lust for Salford to be treated the same as Bradford? :(

Nope as they haven't gone into admin.

#155 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Okay then, what about Sheffield then? How would they NOT go Bankrupt? Where would there hundreds of thousands to survive come from?...

What was the revenue of Fleetwood Town & York City in 2011 compared to Charton Athletic & Sheffield Wednesday?...

I would give Sheffield the choice of promotion or staying where they are. If they think that promotion would bankrupt the club then they could turn it down but at least they would be given a choice.

I have no idea on your 2nd point but obviousley Charlton and Wednesday would be more. If a club such as York City went through the Leagues and Charlton went the other way then there would be a good chance that York would have the biggest turnover depending on fan base growth through the success of promotion. The key word and chance of this happening being promotion.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#156 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

I understand all that but its a pretty patronizing position to be in IMO. 'here you go lads, have a season or so in the top flight but as for winning it, don't even go there.

On top of this, RL is not football and must deal with its hand accordingly.

That's your opinion and it differs to mine.

I wondered when some one was going to come up with the this is not football comment. What I find on this forum is that pro franchise members use football as an example when it suits their argument but then come up with the this is not football argument when it also suits them. For example on your post number 76 you back a comment up about the blue square supporters supporting England. I did not bring football into the argument happy Dave did on post 75. You can't have it both ways.

#157 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

i think wood, rimmer and co laid their cards firmly on the table during the bradford melt down. one quote i read was that "they have been world club champions" yet they stood by and watched the FIRST ever world club champions sliding to oblivion and they only thing they did was to deduct us 9 points. fast forward to 2011 and another club did go down the pan, RIP blackpool, and now we have salford, an average super league club who don't win trophies so guess what the support from red hall is deafeningly silent!!! every professional rugby league club in the country needs the same rights not just the chosen few..........

Great post

#158 Chafford

Chafford
  • Coach
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

My view too Ian I won't be watching any of the World Cup either.

Good for you, I'm also an athletics fan but I won't be watching the Athletics World Championships. I also like tennis but I won't be watching Wimbledon. Nor will I be watching the FA Cup Final even though I like football.

#159 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

The point is Ian, that lower league football fans, whose teams have absolutely zero chance of making the football league never mind the PL, turn out in big numbers to back their national side. Yet some RL fans actively boycott their national team because they follow lower teams?

And where have I said I am pro licensing? I'm undecided.

#160 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

i coach at junior level these days, i have some great lads in my team who are tremendous players to boot, i am sick and tired of contacting the local pro clubs to come and have look at these lads, one is so good he reminds me of a young version of vinty karalius. luckily he has been picked up by widnes there are many lads i see week in week out playing for various teams who may never get the step up to the top flight because of our pro clubs fascination with all things antipodean. it is about time the rfl dropped the quota for all non genuine eu players to 1 per team to improve the stock of young british (and french) players in our pro game.......

Edited by Viking Warrior, 01 January 2013 - 10:59 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users