Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Statement from RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood

RFL media release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
286 replies to this topic

#161 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

The point is Ian, that lower league football fans, whose teams have absolutely zero chance of making the football league never mind the PL, turn out in big numbers to back their national side. Yet some RL fans actively boycott their national team because they follow lower teams?

And where have I said I am pro licensing? I'm undecided.

Sorry John I thought that you were pro franchising based on your comments.

I know what the point is but my point is that you either leave football out of the argumet completely or you use it to compare against. It's not fair to pick and choose.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#162 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,616 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Sorry John I thought that you were pro franchising based on your comments.

I know what the point is but my point is that you either leave football out of the argumet completely or you use it to compare against. It's not fair to pick and choose.

Not picking and choosing mate, it's pretty straightforward.

The fan analogy is just a comparison between fans who both support lower teams and their respective attitudes to their national side.

The other one is financial and its relevant because they are on another planet financially and can pretty much do what they like, so saying 'club x can get promoted' is irrelevant as far as RL goes.

I can see plusses and minusses on both points, (licensing or p&r)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#163 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Not picking and choosing mate, it's pretty straightforward.

The fan analogy is just a comparison between fans who both support lower teams and their respective attitudes to their national side.

The other one is financial and its relevant because they are on another planet financially and can pretty much do what they like, so saying 'club x can get promoted' is irrelevant as far as RL goes.

I can see plusses and minusses on both points, (licensing or p&r)

but I bet if franchising came into football you would see a different attitude by the lower league clubs to the national team.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#164 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

At the end of the day we have less than a handful of Championship clubs with aspirations to join SL. The rest have happily partnered with SL clubs and appear to be content with an existence of mediocrity, fair play to them if that's what they want. So how do we accommodate this small number of clubs which want to progress? That's what I'd like to see NW have on his agenda.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 01 January 2013 - 11:20 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#165 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

i coach at junior level these days, i have some great lads in my team who are tremendous players to boot, i am sick and tired of contacting the local pro clubs to come and have look at these lads, one is so good he reminds me of a young version of vinty karalius. luckily he has been picked up by widnes there are many lads i see week in week out playing for various teams who may never get the step up to the top flight because of our pro clubs fascination with all things antipodean. it is about time the rfl dropped the quota for all non genuine eu players to 1 per team to improve the stock of young british (and french) players in our pro game.......

100% agree with this Viking. lowering the quota may also help to keep some clubs solvent too. Perhaps it could also lead to SL clubs taking junior development a bit more seriously.

#166 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,616 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

but I bet if franchising came into football you would see a different attitude by the lower league clubs to the national team.

You could be right but I'm not sure about that. I could imagine issues with club football but not for the national side. As it is, the England players have absolutely nothing in common with the average man do they, but it doesn't stop them supporting the national side.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#167 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

I love Rugby League at many levels. But as usual, the spin coming from the RFL does nothing for me. I dont think the RFL have a clue and will just agree with the SL clubs instead of the game.Wood and Rimmer are clueless and have no leadership qualities to push the game forward. Wood has not addressed what his plans are or how he and the game will address the problems in the game. I want to know the following

What the RFL intend to do to improve standards both on and off the field in SL and the Championship?
What is the RFL planning to do so that we dont see further SL clubs announce massive money problems?
What is the RFL planning to do, to keep helping the Development of the game at amateur level especially in NE England, Midlands etc?
What is the RFLs plan regarding academy both at SL and Championship level?
How does he and the RFL intend to bring closer the various factions in the game?

I cant see anywhere in this statement or elsewhere that Wood, Rimmer and RFL have any idea on what to do and instead just agree with short term thinking of clubs. I am not alone in thinking Wood and Rimmer are the wrong people to lead our game and I cant see the various problems in the game getting any better. I think the many championship fans that refuse to watch the WC or SL have a problem with the administration of the game not the game itself. I know a number of Championship fans who follow Fev, Fax etc who follow the amateur game or involved in it. I know many amateur players and fans who dont attend ANY pro game what so ever. People like JohnM who call a number of Fev fans, non RL fans is typical of his arrogant attitude and belief the RFL and SL is so great. People have major issues with the RFL and how it does things. The RFL have driven a wedge between certain factions in the game. Instead of trying to mock or make fun of people JohnM and others including the RFL should be looking at why these people think this way and accept/understand why they feel this way.

I must admit that i wonder if the RFL have any strategic plan for where they would like to take the game. They just seem to react to everything as it comes up, flying by the seat of their pants. There are signs of planning like the expansion of CC1 and the regorganisation of the CC and the amateur game going mostly to a summer based competition, but then is this all joined up thinking. Is there any linkage with SL and it s problems and are they or are they not planning on reducing the size of the super league and what is the future of licencing?

It may be all part of a plan and vision for the future of the game but who knows. It would be good if they released a statement of where they see the game going. The fans would like to think there is some the leadership at the top with some idea of what they want for the gameand how they are going to get there.

Is Woods a direct replacement for Lewis or is there still a search going on for a new leader to replace Richard Lewis and, if so, how long is it going to take before he/she is appointed.

#168 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

And to you and yours. It occurs to me that if England do win the World Cup, then there won't be many members of this forum around - most of them wil have died of apoplexy :D

Any dying I do if England win the WC will be from drowning in tears of joy. I don t see how refusing to watch say, Italy, play at Halifax, a CC ground, in the WC shows upport for Fev and disgust with the RFL.

#169 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Although technically possible, P&R can work in Football due to money distribution throughout the game due to huge amounts of money in all walks of the game, it wouldn't happen, as as soon as they reached the League 2 or League 1 their ground would not be big enough to be promoted up a tier, plus they more than likely would not be able to gain enough investment to buy in the players to win League 1 or even League 2, unless they have a sugar daddy to pay for them to buy players to get promotion to League 1.

When will RL fans realise that until their is money in RL it is not possible to have P&R between Tier 1 & Tier 2 in RL. If SL lowered the salary cap, to redistribute the money in RL in the UK, then the best RL players in the UK/France would move over to RU or the NRL en masse. Plus if say Sheffield had been 'promoted' in 2013, where would the money have came from for them to buy and pay full-time professional Rugby players?

If SL clubs dont take some cost cutting measures, That league is going to collapse. How many teams need to be in deep trouble before it becomes apparent the present level of wages and salary cap is not capable of being sustained.

If some players are lost to the game, then so be it, better than losing the whole game.

#170 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

Okay then, what about Sheffield then? How would they NOT go Bankrupt? Where would there hundreds of thousands to survive come from?...

What was the revenue of Fleetwood Town & York City in 2011 compared to Charton Athletic & Sheffield Wednesday?...

Sheffield might refuse any promotion because they didn t have enough money. On the other hand, on the money they do have, how did they win the championship and make a profit, all from a point of extinction some few short years ago. They seem to be a very very well run club and, if they set their mind to it, it wouldn t surpise me if they came up with a strategy to make it work for them.

#171 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

I coach at junior level these days, i have some great lads in my team who are tremendous players who may never get the step up to the top flight because of our pro clubs fascination with all things antipodean.

I thought numbers were dropping anyway as there's more money in Aus now?

The Leeds junior sides are full of English players?

#172 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

At the end of the day we have less than a handful of Championship clubs with aspirations to join SL. The rest have happily partnered with SL clubs and appear to be content with an existence of mediocrity, fair play to them if that's what they want. So how do we accommodate this small number of clubs which want to progress? That's what I'd like to see NW have on his agenda.

Put the salary cap down as far as possible (couple of hundred grand), extend SL to 16 clubs such that most who want to be in are in go back to P & R so the one or two left can be promoted, but rejoice in a Superleague which has the two tiers in one. Top eight fight for the Superleage Trophy, bottom eight fight for survival.

Keighley and I suggested it weeks ago but all people wanted to do was continue moaning and swearing at each other.

So there we are there's how it can be done. Not sure of the downsides though. Up for discussion but don't hold your breath Terry.....

Edited by The Parksider, 02 January 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#173 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

I must admit that i wonder if the RFL have any strategic plan for where they would like to take the game.

There's a big review going on have you forgotten that?

#174 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

If SL clubs dont take some cost cutting measures.

They have with the academy set up and new managers at Wakefield and Bradford are sorting out finances, HKR have reduced their spend and Cas and Salford will too. Salary cap remains frozen, less Aussies are coming over.

You talk as if SL chairmen are still running round raining cheques to everyone.

#175 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Sheffield might refuse any promotion because they didn t have enough money. On the other hand, on the money they do have, how did they win the championship and make a profit it wouldn t surpise me if they came up with a strategy to make SL work for them.

Clearly they won the championship because they can compete with clubs on less then £1m turnover and a cap of £300K

It would shock me if they came up with a strategy to turn over £6M like Catalans and pay a cap of £1.65M

You ask me to be optimistic, I ask you to get real.

#176 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

The RFL is often reactionary and spends to much time firefighting. It is hamstrung that some of it's longer term plans tend to get shot down or disrupted by others (International program, reduction in overseas players, etc).

Being skint it also can't look a gift horse in the mouth, the money for development officers was only guaranteed in the short term but we couldn't refuse. It then leaves us in a mess when money is reduced, RU took the reduction on the chin and employs 100's of development officers.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#177 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

Because Championship 1 has a structure excluding most of the best teams outside of the Championship?

That's because those clubs have chosen not to be part of a true pyramid, and hence excluded themselves. This dates back 40+ years, when the RFL was a truly bad and divisive organisation.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#178 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

i coach at junior level these days, i have some great lads in my team who are tremendous players to boot, i am sick and tired of contacting the local pro clubs to come and have look at these lads, one is so good he reminds me of a young version of vinty karalius. luckily he has been picked up by widnes

You're complaining even though he's been picked?

there are many lads i see week in week out playing for various teams who may never get the step up to the top flight because of our pro clubs fascination with all things antipodean. it is about time the rfl dropped the quota for all non genuine eu players to 1 per team to improve the stock of young british (and french) players in our pro game.......

Go on then, explain that one!

Posted Image

#179 creditwhereitsdews

creditwhereitsdews
  • Coach
  • 334 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Hard to see where Wood's optimism comes from. 2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history.
A pie in the sky World Cup promising to be at least as farcical as 2000 - games in empty stadiums in Bristol, etc, an England team packed with Aussies (lets not start on Ireland and the like). Like many others on here I shall not be purchasing tickets and it will be the first time I've missed a tournament here since 1990.
On top of this is a Championship One with teams which will struggle to fulfil fixtures and see poor old Oldham and Rochdale cast adrift. Another pointless Championship season watched by fans feeling ostracised from the rest of the sport, and SL sucking up what's left of the game's dwindling resources to float along in its own little bubble. Plenty of fuel for the critics. But, hey, what the hell, we're RL fans - let's talk it up!
Er, no.

Edited by creditwhereitsdews, 02 January 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#180 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

Put the salary cap down as far as possible (couple of hundred grand), extend SL to 16 clubs such that most who want to be in are in go back to P & R so the one or two left can be promoted, but rejoice in a Superleague which has the two tiers in one. Top eight fight for the Superleage Trophy, bottom eight fight for survival.

Keighley and I suggested it weeks ago but all people wanted to do was continue moaning and swearing at each other.

So there we are there's how it can be done. Not sure of the downsides though. Up for discussion but don't hold your breath Terry.....

Right, four less teams in SL1 releases £5.2m sky money
20 CC clubs currently receiving £100k releases £2m
Total available = £7.2m
Divide £7.2m between 10 clubs in SL2 = £720k per annum per club

Im assuming the CC clubs which have paired up with SL clubs will be financially assisted in part by the SL club and the extra £120k which is allocated annually on top of their £1.3m per year.

I suggested this about four years ago before John Kear or anyone else did. Would this be a reasonable starting point or have I got my sums wrong? Please feel free to pull it apart and find as many holes in it as you can. At least it might lead to a constructive debate and maybe a feasible solution if one exists.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users