• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

Hi all,

Later this month I'm moving to the UK for 12 months on a working holiday. As a massive RL and SL fan, I am keen to live somewhere in the North that has a SL team I can follow.

Which RL city / town would be the best for an Aussie on a working holiday to live in? Obviously I'd want somewhere with decent job prospects, But importantly also have a good RL culture. I plan on adopting the local team as my own.

Any advice from you guys would be much appreciated
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 690 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

If you crave disappointment move to Widnes. If you wish to live in a place of pure beauty and wonder then anywhere in Yorkshire will do. Apart from Bradford maybe. Halifax is home to the undisputed Greatest Rugby League team on earth, although not SL. But Huddersfield is very near by and has a very sexy stadium. Hull has two clubs in SL. Just come to Yorkshire. Y'can't go wrong (again with the exception of Bradford).
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

move to manchester...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

Depending on what work you want, then Manchester or Leeds would be the most obvious?
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,912 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Manchester...birthplace of civilisation, centre of known universe, football capital of the world....and only 15 miles from the mighty Wigan Warriors.

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

or 20mins on the train to warrington or st helens...or on the ale train to huddersfield......

manchester pretty much covers all bases really

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#7 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Yeah Manchester. Tram ride to Oldham where you can see all the future SL men of steel learn their craft at Saddleworth, St Anne's or Waterhead.

#8 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,740 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Manchester...birthplace of civilisation, centre of known universe, football capital of the world....and only 15 miles from the mighty Wigan Warriors.

Ignore this man's inane ramblings, he loves Lancashire so much he lives 140 odd miles away in Mablethorpe,. :rolleyes:

I must admit though, Manchester or Leeds would be a good base for a RL follower as most teams are within a short travel distance of those two cities.

If however, you want to live somewhere that lives and breathes RL, then Hull would be a good choice. There is only one ;) are two SL clubs based in the city, so usually one is at home one week with the other one home the week after. So more often than not, you only need to hop on a bus to see a SL game every week. I'll warn you now though, the rivalry between the two clubs is very intense and sometimes very bitter, so I doubt you'll have experienced anything like it.

Wherever you do choose to live and work though, make absolutely certain you visit the KC Stadium for Hull v Hull KR on Friday 29th March, I promise you, you'll not have experienced anything like it. :blink:

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,912 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Ignore this man's inane ramblings, he loves Lancashire so much he lives 140 odd miles away in Mablethorpe,. :rolleyes:

Hull would be a good choice.

I'm doing missionary work. :D

but yes, Hull would also be OK.
.if you like strong wind and even stronger wimmin. :lol:

#10 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Manchester would be my choice, it has left Leeds behind in terms of what a city should be. Leeds has become Blackpool without the sea.

Edited by markleeds, 01 January 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#11 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Jobs are scarce and living costs are high,so think very carefully.Dependant on your background/qualifications it really has to be Manchester or Leeds,or London and travel.

#12 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

go to liverpool, the beating heart of the north west plus you have a choice of 4 of the games most well known clubs to watch just a short train ride away.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#13 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 684 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Move to Manchester and support Salford, which for the uninitiated adjoins Manchester. Salford need the support and to be honest if you turn up with your kit on and keep the accent there's half a chance you'll get a game.

#14 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Cheers for the replies guys. I was thinking the Leeds area, but I will definitely consider Manchester too. I think London will be too expensive (plus not enough RL).

Looking forward to getting over, and hopefully I'll be a fully-fledged supporter of a SL club this season.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Keep us posted about where you end up.
If you get a chance to visit Coventry whilst your here come along to watch the Bears, you will be most welcome.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#16 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Manchester wins as a city hands down. However, there's no 'RL culture' whatsoever, so if you're after that you'd be better off opting for Leeds.

#17 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

If you come to Leeds,make sure it is north Leeds.

#18 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Manchester wins as a city hands down. However, there's no 'RL culture' whatsoever, so if you're after that you'd be better off opting for Leeds.

That seems right and Salford needs every supporter it can get.
People called Romans they go the house

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,399 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Featherstone. :ph34r:

#20 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Try Wakefield its smaller than Leeds or Manchester, more friendly lovely shopping town centre and can get to most the RL world within 2 hours :) oh and cheaper than most places too!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users