Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

An Aussie moving to the UK

Best RL city to live in?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#21 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,995 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Try Wakefield its smaller than Leeds or Manchester, more friendly lovely shopping town centre and can get to most the RL world within 2 hours :) oh and cheaper than most places too!

but an absolute hole
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#22 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Remember, the cotton industry was not based around Manchester for no reason - its wet!

Great city but Leeds is a more manageable size and you've seen nothing until you've seen the grandur of the dales and the stark beauty of the north York moors.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#23 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

If you crave disappointment move to Widnes. If you wish to live in a place of pure beauty and wonder then anywhere in Yorkshire will do. Apart from Bradford maybe. Halifax is home to the undisputed Greatest Rugby League team on earth, although not SL. But Huddersfield is very near by and has a very sexy stadium. Hull has two clubs in SL. Just come to Yorkshire. Y'can't go wrong (again with the exception of Bradford).

How sad you have this dislikle of my native city. I would be upset if it had come from someone whose views I had any respect for.. B)
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#24 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,314 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Remember, the cotton industry was not based around Manchester for no reason - its wet!

Great city but Leeds is a more manageable size and you've seen nothing until you've seen the grandur of the dales and the stark beauty of the north York moors.

:rolleyes: it's merely high humidity. :rolleyes:

#25 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

I see the new year has made no difference to the bitchiness on here.

How about a few quick resolutions guys? :-)

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

#26 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

:rolleyes: it's merely high humidity. :rolleyes:

LOL

#27 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Forget Leeds and Manchester. Chester or York

Fantastic history, many areas of interest and big cities nearby.

Good luck

#28 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

For any Aussie Rugby League fans wanting to move to the UK , i would say move to Leeds.

#29 Optimus

Optimus
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

What work are you after?
Leeds or Manchester for RL
York and Chester both great options too.
"Rugby league is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby union is a complex game played by w@nk*rs"
Laurie Dailey

#30 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

York is great for shopping and entertainment.

Leeds is great if you are a student or on a hen/stag do or standing in bars trying to look so cool you have forgotten to actually enjoy yourself.

#31 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

LEEDS would be the perfect base for you as there are many super league teams withiin public transport commuting distance . short let rents tend to be cheaper than london and even manchester .the city centre is more concentrated than manchester .
job prospects in leeds i would venture are also better depending of course on what you want to do but there is a strong financial services sector which is always looking to recuit and of course there is a steady stream of bar or hotel work with leeds been one of the major clubbing venues in the country'
then of course theres the yorkshire dales only a short distance away which are the most beautiful part of the country to visit .

try looking online for employment oppotunities in leeds or west yorkshire to see if they suit your skills then look at rental market for places to stay . avoid south leeds or harehills at all costs.

of course if you move to leeds you would see the super league champions and with luck world champions on a regular basis and enjoy the vibe in the world famous south stand at headingley .

there is quite a large anzac community already in the north leeds area so thats another plus.

Edited by southstand loiner, 01 January 2013 - 02:07 PM.

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#32 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

If you don't go to Leeds, Manchester, or Liverpool, then you should move to Bristol, as its a lovely city, you could watch the 2 Bristol Sonics amateur teams and support Swindon St George who are just down the road. ;) Also you could support the new semi-professional University of Gloucestershire All Golds in the 2nd Level of the Tier 2 'Championships'. ;)
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#33 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Leeds as a major financial centre, in other words its where the London based banks have situated their call centres as labour is cheap and plentiful.

Trust me, for jobs Manchester has more to offer, especially in terms of marketing and advertising.

#34 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Best throw Donny into the mix then, short drive to everywhere and a night life as good as anywhere (Not sure about work, but not being British should put you in a good position for a job)
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#35 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

but an absolute hole

Its nicer than SOME places and not as nice as others you pay your money takes your choice...
Posted Image

#36 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Leeds as a major financial centre, in other words its where the London based banks have situated their call centres as labour is cheap and plentiful.

Trust me, for jobs Manchester has more to offer, especially in terms of marketing and advertising.

leeds its the home of a number of both personal and industry insurance companies and i dont mean the call centre for them also the home of at least 3 major individual share trading companies also the uk and europe devolopment headquarters for GE capital and a number of other companies .

manchester has a number of low quality banking jobs and minor advertising sub offices of london based firms also one of the highest crime rates in england and of course no professional rugby league teams
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#37 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Ask Dally,he's an Aussie who used to post on here with knoweldge of RL area's.There has been a lot said about Manchester,but beware of the gangsters and drive by shootings,maybe thats why they get so many cash handouts from the govt
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#38 Yorkie44

Yorkie44
  • Coach
  • 346 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

City of York, quite possibly the greatest place on earth.

#39 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

City of York, quite possibly the greatest place on earth.

Agreed .When I come home I always have a ride over to York.My favourite City
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#40 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Hi all,

Later this month I'm moving to the UK for 12 months on a working holiday. As a massive RL and SL fan, I am keen to live somewhere in the North that has a SL team I can follow.

Which RL city / town would be the best for an Aussie on a working holiday to live in? Obviously I'd want somewhere with decent job prospects, But importantly also have a good RL culture. I plan on adopting the local team as my own.

Any advice from you guys would be much appreciated

Some advice for free, Firstly try the London Suburbs to live in not the north, there are lots of Aussies and Kiwis in Greater London but few and far between in the north, Plus you can pick up TNT (Aussuie expat free mag) not available in the north.AFAIK.

Secondly, London has THE LONDON BRONCOS and Craig Gower with his missus Lady Luck herself, for top line RL.

Thirdly, the UK unlike Australia does not suffer from the tyranny of distance. Many northern clubs play on a Sunday and are about 3 hours by Public Transport direct from London so it's not out of the question to go up for the day.

Fourth point - As many from the Antipodes will tell you the North of England even in summer is Chill-I and an added problem experienced by Aussies is the northern accent. Remember just how unintelligible Shaun Edwards was during his learning experience under Wayne Bennett on the Broncos Staff or how Players srtuggled to understand Russell Smith's accent when refereeing in the NRL. London of course is where your nations dialect originated mate !.

Stay in the south during your OE Goldcoaster, you know it makes sense ;)

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014