RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

An Aussie moving to the UK

Best RL city to live in?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#41 ali

ali
  • Coach
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Goldcoaster, I did similar about a decade ago spending 8 weeks in Leeds doing temp work and getting to 1 or 2 games a weekend. The only real option if you want a decent size city that has strong RL culture is Leeds. Manchester, is a better city, and is surrounded by RL clubs, but you won't find much mention of RL unless a big match is on or you go looking for it. Leeds however, as a city follows RL to a similar extent to the East coast of Australia. The local paper, the Yorkshire evening post often has a sports section with more than half dedicated to RL. I'm not sure what the job prospects are like up there at the moment (I'd guess fairly grim like most of the country), but Leeds has traditionally had a decent finance industry.

Depending on what you do for work, you may be better off living in London where jobs are more plentiful and then having a few weekend trips away to the North to catch as many games as possible. For the regular season you'll probably have to make your own way up North, but come World Cup time there will be a few organised tours around. We're planning on organising tours to Cardiff and Manchester from London for the World Cup.

Lastly, if you're just looking for unskilled work or odd jobs consider Perpignon for the summer. It's a great place! I'm sure the Catalans fans on here could let you know what the prospect would be of picking up some work down there.

#42 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

so there you have it

london with no mention of rugby league and even if you hear of it hard to get to the natives are not very friendly also helps if you speak a forign language if you want to try communicate with the locals

liverpool not a rl team in site and you should never trust a scoucer

hull plenty of rugby league but no jobs and your likely to get your head kicked in on a night out

manchester some jobs no rugby league in the city and the crime capital of the north

york great city if your looking for history but a bit of a drive to a super league club and not many jobs

LEEDS top for rugby league better chance of a job than anywere other than london geat night life and the freindliest bunch of people in the world unless your a lancastrian

we even have shops selling kangaroo burgers
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#43 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

"london with no mention of rugby league and even if you hear of it hard to get to the natives are not very friendly also helps if you speak a forign language if you want to try communicate with the locals

hull plenty of rugby league but no jobs and your likely to get your head kicked in on a night out

manchester some jobs no rugby league in the city and the crime capital of the north

york great city if your looking for history but a bit of a drive to a super league club and not many jobs

LEEDS top for rugby league better chance of a job than anywere other than london geat night life and the freindliest bunch of people in the world unless your a lancastrian

The first part of your post sort of doesn't really back up that claim :D

#44 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Erm, you must try a real pie while you're over here...!

#45 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

so true

WILSONS award winning pies from crossgates LEEDS

#46 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

"london with no mention of rugby league and even if you hear of it hard to get to the natives are not very friendly also helps if you speak a forign language if you want to try communicate with the locals

The first part of your post sort of doesn't really back up that claim :D

what can i say we all have our little predudices we need to keep in check i suppose ;)

#47 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,450 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Best throw Donny into the mix then, short drive to everywhere and a night life as good as anywhere (Not sure about work, but not being British should put you in a good position for a job)

As an Australian you'd also have the added bonus of being in the one town in England that makes Australia look progressive/culturally enlightened.

Plus, you'd fit right in with your mullet/tasche combo.

#ducksforcover

#48 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,162 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

For any Aussie Rugby League fans wanting to move to the UK , i would say move to Leeds.

Gosh! Do you hate Aussies that much?

#49 TheMancunianCandidate

TheMancunianCandidate
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

Hi all,

Later this month I'm moving to the UK for 12 months on a working holiday. As a massive RL and SL fan, I am keen to live somewhere in the North that has a SL team I can follow.

Which RL city / town would be the best for an Aussie on a working holiday to live in? Obviously I'd want somewhere with decent job prospects, But importantly also have a good RL culture. I plan on adopting the local team as my own.

Any advice from you guys would be much appreciated

What do you do for a job?
I run a club in Manchester which you'd be welcome to play with us if you decided to live here.
A couple of friends recruitment companies and I'd be willing to send on your CV to them if you like.

You can get in touch with us via the links below.

@mancuniansrl
Www.mancuniansrl.com

All the best

#50 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Dont base where you go purely on finding a RL team pick somewhere thats best for your job. Over here the game is a minor sport with little or no media coverage and what you do get from the clowns Eddie & Stevo make even Fattie Vautin look intelligent.
I've lived in Aus for a while and loved all the TV and newspaper coverage you guys have, and I used to go to ANZ to watch the doggies - I think your going to be in for a real shock when you watch SL (and not a good one).

Wherever you end up I hope you enjoy all the UK has to offer. I guarantee the things you'll enjoy the most is the choice. We have proper supermarkets over here not the lame excuses for a shop like Coles & Woolworths, and you can actually buy alcohol thats not served in brown paper bags !
We have a history that goes back further than your grandmother and if you go to Yorkshire you can visit some of the old slums like Headingley or Wakey or Cas :D

#51 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

so true

WILSONS award winning pies from crossgates LEEDS

When I come home and go to a game first thing I do is get 2 wilsons pies
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#52 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

If you go to StHelens and you call all ginger haired people Bluey?I'm afraid you will be saying Bluey an awful long time,and they haven't really got sinusitus its just the way they speak :)
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#53 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Beautiful countryside and scenery in Yorkshire
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#54 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

If you are a serious about looking for work don't come to England at all! The Country is finished! Do what Canetman said and get to Perpinan, France. However, if you are still certain you are comming over many Aussies I know have made their base in Manchester in recent seasons and all have all stayed in touch with us after playing for my club - Eccles ARLFC.

#55 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

You need to be careful with the beer at first as well. If you try what's known as "real ale" you might be suprised to find it has flavour! ;) :)

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#56 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Come to Bradford, which has plenty of cheap modern accommodation in the form of city centre flats in converted mill and office buildings ... built of Yorkshire Sandstone in classical victorian style. Leeds and Manchester buildings are all brick, concrete and glass ... all the history and character of an IKEA wardrobe.

Bradford city centre has reasonable night life and a friendly atmosphere, plus proper beer (though that may well not be much use to an Australian brought up on ersatz lager gunk! ;) ).

Curry capital of the UK. I had a belter last night here ... £25 for three of us.
http://curry-heute.com/?p=10931

Trains run every twenty minutes / half hour into Leeds and there are jobs in both cities. If you have a car, you are far better off in Bradford than either Leeds or Manchester ... both have horrendous traffic and high parking fees.

Best of all you can support the Bradford Bulls at the historic and mighty Odsal Stadium, where we will hopefully be staging rock concerts this year.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#57 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,162 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

If you are a serious about looking for work don't come to England at all!

You jest, I assume., probably because it has not stopped raining for three months in the UK.

Unemployment rate in Manchester is currently 5.5% Click here for full economic details. I'm sure there is a similar one for Leeds, too.

BAE Systems currently list 111 jobs

Siemens currently have 85 job vacancies listed for UK, Ulverston, Lincoln, Manchester, Newcastle, Hebburn - engineering, finance etc and will soon have more when it's Humber Bank wind-turbine facility gets going.

Manchester has a wealth of hi-tech, aerospace and engineering companies to choose from, as I am sure does Leeds and Sheffield.

#58 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Come to Bradford, which has plenty of cheap modern accommodation in the form of city centre flats in converted mill and office buildings ... built of Yorkshire Sandstone in classical victorian style. Leeds and Manchester buildings are all brick, concrete and glass ... all the history and character of an IKEA wardrobe.

Bradford city centre has reasonable night life and a friendly atmosphere, plus proper beer (though that may well not be much use to an Australian brought up on ersatz lager gunk! ;) ).

Curry capital of the UK. I had a belter last night here ... £25 for three of us.
http://curry-heute.com/?p=10931

Trains run every twenty minutes / half hour into Leeds and there are jobs in both cities. If you have a car, you are far better off in Bradford than either Leeds or Manchester ... both have horrendous traffic and high parking fees.

Best of all you can support the Bradford Bulls at the historic and mighty Odsal Stadium, where we will hopefully be staging rock concerts this year.

Travel insurance could be very expensive

#59 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Travel insurance could be very expensive

He'll only need to go the once to Warrington.
:D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#60 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

He'll only need to go the once to Warrington.
:D

That's sky for you!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users