Best RL city to live in?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#61 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Couch surf for the first month all over the country and make your own mind up on were's best, then hit the Gum Tree for something in the area of your choosing, job done!

#62 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hi all,

Later this month I'm moving to the UK for 12 months on a working holiday. As a massive RL and SL fan, I am keen to live somewhere in the North that has a SL team I can follow.

Which RL city / town would be the best for an Aussie on a working holiday to live in? Obviously I'd want somewhere with decent job prospects, But importantly also have a good RL culture. I plan on adopting the local team as my own.

Any advice from you guys would be much appreciated

dont do it lol

#63 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Come to Bradford, which has plenty of cheap modern accommodation in the form of city centre flats in converted mill and office buildings ... built of Yorkshire Sandstone in classical victorian style. Leeds and Manchester buildings are all brick, concrete and glass ... all the history and character of an IKEA wardrobe.

Bradford city centre has reasonable night life and a friendly atmosphere, plus proper beer (though that may well not be much use to an Australian brought up on ersatz lager gunk! ;) ).

Curry capital of the UK. I had a belter last night here ... £25 for three of us.
http://curry-heute.com/?p=10931

Trains run every twenty minutes / half hour into Leeds and there are jobs in both cities. If you have a car, you are far better off in Bradford than either Leeds or Manchester ... both have horrendous traffic and high parking fees.

Best of all you can support the Bradford Bulls at the historic and mighty Odsal Stadium, where we will hopefully be staging rock concerts this year.

us Bramley lads in the late 60s early 70s used to enjoy the odd friday night in Bradford
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#64 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

us Bramley lads in the late 60s early 70s used to enjoy the odd friday night in Bradford

Every night in Bradford is odd.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#65 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,350 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

It's on the way back is Bradford. I can feel it. Get in now while you can.

Leeds? not bad I quite like it, some of my best mates are from there but it's all fur coat and no knickers.

#66 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

Bradford is a wonderful place, but it might be a culture shock. I would suggest it has more character than all of Australia put together.
People called Romans they go the house

#67 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

It's on the way back is Bradford. I can feel it. Get in now while you can.

Leeds? not bad I quite like it, some of my best mates are from there but it's all fur coat and no knickers.

Sounds good to me! :D

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#68 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

bring your boots mate any club will sign you because you're an aussie.............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#69 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

We have no idea what goldcoaster does for a living or anything else about him and have not heard from him for nigh on 50 posts.

Amazing how a thread takes on a life of its own!

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#70 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,350 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Sounds good to me! :D

I just meant it as a phrase, not as in what passes as usual in Salford. ;)

#71 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

http://www.dailystar...r-running-out-o

:D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#72 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,350 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

http://www.dailystar...r-running-out-o

She's quiet for a Leeds lass.

#73 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

We have no idea what goldcoaster does for a living or anything else about him and have not heard from him for nigh on 50 posts.

Amazing how a thread takes on a life of its own!

Haha, that's true. I didn't want to annoy people. For the record, I have a degree in Human Resources and have been working in that industry for the past 6 years.

I spoke to my brother who lived in York back in 2008, and he reccomended recruitment agencies as the best avenues for work, and the banking/financial sector as a good source of employment. He was also a keen York City Knights and York City FC fan while he was living there :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#74 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Haha, that's true. I didn't want to annoy people. For the record, I have a degree in Human Resources and have been working in that industry for the past 6 years.

I spoke to my brother who lived in York back in 2008, and he reccomended recruitment agencies as the best avenues for work, and the banking/financial sector as a good source of employment. He was also a keen York City Knights and York City FC fan while he was living there :)

HR Degree - Yorkshire best place for you. :P

Only joking, after reading through many of the posts and my York or Chester area suggestion, I actually think you'd be best around London ( HR wages, you'll be fine) and pick your games / team.

UK is a small country compared to OZ - London to Hull 4/5 hours / London - Leeds 3 1/2 to 4 hrs / London to warrington 3hrs max

Any how, good luck and best wishes

#75 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

HR Degree - Yorkshire best place for you. :P

UK is a small country compared to OZ - London to Hull 4/5 hours / London - Leeds 3 1/2 to 4 hrs / London to warrington 3hrs max

London to Lancashire 3hrs, but you'll never get that time back.

#76 Jarv

Jarv
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

If you are from the actual Gold Coast and would miss the sea (and surfing) for instance then Hull or York would be the obvious choices for the Yorkshire coast. I am from the coast and you could never put me "inland" now

If you are thinking of Manchester send me a PM - a mate of mine moves into an agency recruitment job over there next week

#77 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

If you are from the actual Gold Coast and would miss the sea (and surfing) for instance then Hull or York would be the obvious choices for the Yorkshire coast. I am from the coast and you could never put me "inland" now

If you are thinking of Manchester send me a PM - a mate of mine moves into an agency recruitment job over there next week

York must be forty miles from the sea!

#78 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Anywhere in Yorkshire
It's called "Gods Own County" for a reason ;)

In all seriousness and without bias Leeds is an excellent city, smaller but more stylish than Manchester and with far better transport links

/insert bias
Naturally you can have the best of all lives and move to Huddersfield, the birthplace of the game

Excellent stadium, competitive team (till Easter) superb transport links being 20 mins from Leeds, 30 mins from Manchester and 40 mins from York and on the doorstep of some of the most beautiful countryside in the world

Oh and we have the best ale ;)

#79 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Naturally you can have the best of all lives and move to Huddersfield, the birthplace of the game

About thirty years ago, Kirklees Council published a streetmap of its area. On the back cover was an advert for a firm (Brook Motors?) superimposed on a tilted globe so that Huddersfield was right at the centre hub of the world surface.

#80 Yorkie44

Yorkie44
  • Coach
  • 350 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

If you do come to York, come down and give our amature club York Lokomotive a hand, as we need all we can get as us young ens are now sort of running club.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users