TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

An Aussie moving to the UK

Best RL city to live in?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#101 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Let's face it, some of these backward yorkshire towns are crying out for new blood.....gene pool?....puddle more like

Widnes hmmm
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#102 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Let's face it, some of these backward yorkshire towns are crying out for new blood.....gene pool?....puddle more like

From Wikipedia:

There is a tradition that the song Homeward Bound was written by Paul Simon at a Widnes station. A quote from Paul Simon reads as follows: "If you know Widnes, then you'll understand how I was desperately trying to get back to London as quickly as possible. Homeward Bound came out of that feeling.

:)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#103 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

From Wikipedia:

There is a tradition that the song Homeward Bound was written by Paul Simon at a Widnes station. A quote from Paul Simon reads as follows: "If you know Widnes, then you'll understand how I was desperately trying to get back to London as quickly as possible. Homeward Bound came out of that feeling.

They are proud of the fact that Simon thought their town so bad that he saw fit to write a song about his feelings.Although Charles Dickens described Leeds as a beastly place,but he used the Whitelocks on his visits good beer and food
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#104 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Let's not forget Dirty Old Town about Salford.

I don't think I know of a famous song about Bradford, but I'm prepared for the worst.
Bill Bryson apparently described it as the place where people came from all over england to throw their used fish-and-chip papers on the street. Not that it's like that any more ... we've got a wheelie bin.
:D ;)

#105 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

I don't think I know of a famous song about Bradford, but I'm prepared for the worst.
Bill Bryson apparently described it as the place where people came from all over england to throw their used fish-and-chip papers on the street. Not that it's like that any more ... we've got a wheelie bin.

Salford is a city :(

#106 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Bradford used ,used to have more millionaires per head of population than any other city.think that may have been 19th century
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#107 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Salford is a city :(

Apparently without a centre
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#108 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Apparently without a centre

They've just signed Martin Gleeson

#109 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Bradford used ,used to have more millionaires per head of population than any other city.think that may have been 19th century

Much later than that; when I came in 1971 it was reputed to have more Rolls Royces per head of population than any other town or city outside London. And it was close with London.

Edited by Wolford6, 07 January 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#110 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Much later than that; when I came in 1971 it was reputed to have more Rolls Royces per head of population than any other town or city outside London. And it was close with London.

The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#111 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

I'd repeat what others have said, Leeds is the best place to work as it is the modern de facto capital of Yorkshire and it has the RL culture and nightlife. York is a fantastic historical city, jobs aren't quite so easy to get and whilst it has a semi-pro side, it is not exactly a hardcore RL area. Still I enjoy semi-pro rugby and you might too.

Both cities are very close to some very nice countryside.

#112 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

very good sir!

#113 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

They are proud of the fact that Simon thought their town so bad that he saw fit to write a song about his feelings.

This is true, it does tickle somewhat..

#114 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

No guys. Cheers again for the info. Well, we've moved over, but for ease-of-job finding, we've started out by living in Acton in London, at least for the first few months. I'll be getting behind the Broncos then ( I figure they could use a few extra fans) and hopefully later in the year I get up north.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#115 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

No guys. Cheers again for the info. Well, we've moved over, but for ease-of-job finding, we've started out by living in Acton in London, at least for the first few months. I'll be getting behind the Broncos then ( I figure they could use a few extra fans) and hopefully later in the year I get up north.

Give us a wave, we'll be able to spot you in the crowd :o

Seriously, hope you settle in and find a job etc amd get yourself to as many games as you can - not just Broncos

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#116 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

I see you've brought the weather with you.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#117 Swesaint

Swesaint
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Whilst in London, don't miss out on going to a couple of London Skolars (Championship 1) games as well.

#118 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,992 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

I see you've brought the weather with you.

Who's burnt your toast tonight? ;)

rldfsignature.jpg

#119 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Who's burnt your toast tonight? ;)

You did Mr Pom E. Granate.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#120 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

And goldcoaster needs a new temporary username.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users