Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

TRL Helpdesk part 2 - cameras

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

For my Grandma's 80th she would like a digital camera.

So what would be the best choice as a first time point and shoot, very basic camera?

She has all her faculties as it were, she can use her hands fine and can see fine too with glasses.

But as this is her first and she isn't tech savvy, I'm looking for a camera without any bells or whistles.

Perhaps even one aimed at young children, without it being a toy.

Anyhoo, ta muchly.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#2 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,298 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

For my Grandma's 80th she would like a digital camera.....aimed at young children,

get her an enhanced CRB check, too.

#3 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

I don't know very much about the 'point and shoot' type cameras, but one thing I would bear in mind, a lot of older people have been brought up with cameras that you look through a eye piece/ view finder to see the pic you are about to take. With lots of these point and shoot ones you look at the screen at the back, sometimes held at arms length, to see your pic, and I know of quite a few 'grey hairs' (myself included) that just can't get away with this method - whether it be focusing on the screen, a bit too much shakey hand or not able to compose the shot you want. I would definitely consider a view finder in the camera that you eventually pick - and the largest possible screen on the back so she can see the results of her snapping.

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#4 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

I have a Panasonic Lumix p&s that does pretty decent photos. Can't remember the model number as it is about 2/3 years old, but is probably a comparable equivalent to this one in their current range. Absolute doddle to use, has a reasonable auto setting and a range of different options (night, portrait, landscape, party, etc) and has always produced decent results. Good and compact to just pop in your pocket (or handbag as applicable) too. :)

http://www.panasonic...4284/index.html

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#5 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

I have a Lumix as well, it can be used as a point and click but also has manual settings. This can grow with her

I agree with Exile Townie about the view finder, can you get her to try the ones without and see how she goes

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,428 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

The software for my trusty Kodak digital, bought about six years ago, won't transfer to anything after Windows XP.

Kodak won't do updates for Windows 7 or Windows 8.

I'm thinking of getting a replacement, but it won't be a Kodak.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,428 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Why not get her a decent mobile phone that has a good quality camera?

That wouldn't be my Nokia Lumia then.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#8 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

I have a Lumix as well, it can be used as a point and click but also has manual settings. This can grow with her

I agree with Exile Townie about the view finder, can you get her to try the ones without and see how she goes

Tried to find one with a view finder for the Mrs last Christmas as she found the screen hard to see in very bright sunlight (not in England, obviously!) and they do not seem very common these days on the point and shoots.

Ended up getting a Canon Ixus as I've always used the higher end Canons.

I would recomend one of those. Esay to understand instructions for the basics, dead easy to use in practice, big clear screen and superb pics at the end. She is delighted with it.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#9 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

The software for my trusty Kodak digital, bought about six years ago, won't transfer to anything after Windows XP.

I was tempted by a Kodak printer for their claims of cheapest to run etc.

Never again - the software (bloatware!) must have been written by the work experience lad as that stopped working following XP updates and not at all on W7 or 8 and the ink heads dried up if you didn't use it every day. I threw it out - still working - and bought a Canon.

Sorry to change the subject - just had to get that off my chest!

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#10 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

You don't have to use the sofware that came with the camera. There are lots of other options.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

There's a reason why that won't even be an option: http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-20787024
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

For my Grandma's 80th she would like a digital camera.

So what would be the best choice as a first time point and shoot, very basic camera?

She has all her faculties as it were, she can use her hands fine and can see fine too with glasses.

But as this is her first and she isn't tech savvy, I'm looking for a camera without any bells or whistles.

Perhaps even one aimed at young children, without it being a toy.

Anyhoo, ta muchly.

My elder (aged 7) has used something similar to this http://www.jessops.c...83623/show.html and found it easy to follow. Transfer of files etc all a doddle as well.

The only issue I've had with Fujifilm cameras is that they autosharpen the images and they go too far in my opinion. But must people don't mind (and, I suspect, aren't so sad as to even notice.)
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012