League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

George Hotel closes - seemingly for good.

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

News today that the George Hotel in Huddersfield has once more closed its doors and this time it may be permanent.

http://www.examiner....86081-32533036/

What the implications will be for the RL exhibits contained therein isn't mentioned. Any suggestions for a new home?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#2 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

News today that the George Hotel in Huddersfield has once more closed its doors and this time it may be permanent.

What the implications will be for the RL exhibits contained therein isn't mentioned. Any suggestions for a new home?

Time we had a national museum of rugby league
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#3 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,334 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Time we had a national museum of rugby league

It's called Lancashire.
Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#4 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Time we had a HQ for the game which permanently housed the museum.

The history of our game contained within the museum seems to get disrespectfully moved along like a tramp being shifted from shop doorways. We need a centrally based accessible stadium to serve as a headquarters for the game, as much as I hate Union I envy Twickenhem and the prestige and credibility it affords their sport.

#5 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Couldnt the RFL move out of red hall and buy The George Hotel?
Posted Image

#6 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Enjoyed a visit to the football museum in Manchester recently. That kind of city centre location is what you'd be looking at.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#7 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 698 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

I'll ave em

#8 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Time we had a HQ for the game which permanently housed the museum.

The history of our game contained within the museum seems to get disrespectfully moved along like a tramp being shifted from shop doorways. We need a centrally based accessible stadium to serve as a headquarters for the game, as much as I hate Union I envy Twickenhem and the prestige and credibility it affords their sport.

Isn't that what the RFL bought Odsal for? :ph34r:

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,879 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Sods law - have been meaning to go to the museum for the past few years to show my partner some of the history of the game - and was going to go during the World Cup next year. Hopefully they will get the display up and running somewhere at least for the duration of the tournament.

It would be good if they could perhaps set up a touring display for the World Cup to take it to the various venues around the country.

In 2008 I went to the RL History display in Sydney and loved it.

#10 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Sods law - have been meaning to go to the museum for the past few years to show my partner some of the history of the game - and was going to go during the World Cup next year. Hopefully they will get the display up and running somewhere at least for the duration of the tournament.

It would be good if they could perhaps set up a touring display for the World Cup to take it to the various venues around the country.

Sod's Law - like I was going to contribute to the mega-thread on Nigel Wood's statement with a really insightful opinion, and as I am typing the thread gets locked.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#11 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Might the George have been saved if the RFL had put a salary cap in place for RL museums/collections of memorabilia?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

I've been to the Heritage centre a few times and always enjoyed it and learned something new. So much time and effort have gone into this over the yeas and I really do hope that it can be rescued and given a good home. Just hope the contents are safe!.

Edited by JohnM, 02 January 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#13 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

spot on. An iconic hq gives gravitas and status
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,879 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Sod's Law - like I was going to contribute to the mega-thread on Nigel Wood's statement with a really insightful opinion, and as I am typing the thread gets locked.

:lol: It's always a risk on those controversial long threads!

#15 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Fantastic idea. If they don't do it it therefore shows obvious bias towards Leeds.

Also, if they had the RFL disciplinary meetings there, people like Gareth Hock would benefit by buying a railcard to save a few bob.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#16 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,980 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#17 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

There's a world cup next year aswell??
Posted Image

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,879 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

There's a world cup next year aswell??

:D Okay I'm a day or two behind!

#19 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

:D

It would have been wasted on there mate, better to do what I did: swear a bit, call a few flatcappers names and get ticked off by the mods.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#20 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

That's a shame.

The George Hotel really was an appropriate place for the museum, it's a pity I never got there.

The RFL moving there would be great, but practically I guess there's no chance.

A Fev Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users