Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

George Hotel closes - seemingly for good.

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#21 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Don't the RFL employ nearly 80 staff?
I don't think they'd squeeze into the George if so.
Have managed a couple of visits. One was to see the Dougie Clark collection and another for the World Cup. Stevo was due to be there as well offering photos with a contribution to the Benevolent Fund, but he'd left, so we had a photo of the World Cup without him.

#22 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Sods law - have been meaning to go to the museum for the past few years to show my partner some of the history of the game - and was going to go during the World Cup next year. Hopefully they will get the display up and running somewhere at least for the duration of the tournament.

It would be good if they could perhaps set up a touring display for the World Cup to take it to the various venues around the country.

In 2008 I went to the RL History display in Sydney and loved it.

you can always take him to the new place -_-
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#23 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Have managed a couple of visits. One was to see the Dougie Clark collection and another for the World Cup. Stevo was due to be there as well offering photos with a contribution to the Benevolent Fund, but he'd left, so we had a photo of the World Cup without him.

win win
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#24 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

The RL must buy it. Moving the HQ or at least some of the staff/functions would be obvious e.g. Disciplinary.

#25 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

There are 60 bedrooms apart from the conference rooms etc etc and the rooms I've stayed in have been quite large so I think they would certainly fit in.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#26 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,003 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

There are 60 bedrooms apart from the conference rooms etc etc and the rooms I've stayed in have been quite large so I think they would certainly fit in.

They are meant to work you know....60 bedrooms indeed!!

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#27 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

They are meant to work you know....60 bedrooms indeed!!

ha ha I'll set em up...

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#28 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,734 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

After all the RFL did for Bradford, it's a disgrace they've done nothing about this. And they let Blackpool go to the wall.

I'd have thought converting a hotel into office space would be a pretty expensive job - the RFL have more pressing things to spend money on.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#29 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

After all the RFL did for Bradford, it's a disgrace they've done nothing about this. And they let Blackpool go to the wall.

I'd have thought converting a hotel into office space would be a pretty expensive job - the RFL have more pressing things to spend money on.

I don't seriously think they should buy it/move from Red Hall, but I do think we/they need to protect and preserve the heritage of TGG

...and yes, lots more pressing items on the agenda....maybe announcing sponsorship of World Cup, SL, Championships and Challenge Cup have been sorted ...amongst other things

#30 Dennis Bloodnock

Dennis Bloodnock
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

I went last year to see the museum and thought what a great idea it would be to house the RL HQ there and also
a Rugby League Hall of Fame.
The baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown NY is housed where the game was alleged to have started and is huge.
I realise our sport is not as big as baseball,but what an oportunity for all Rugby League's history and future based in the one place.
If the rfl are quick they may get the George at a good price .
I can speak Esperanto like a native.

#31 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,734 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

I don't seriously think they should buy it/move from Red Hall, but I do think we/they need to protect and preserve the heritage of TGG

Well I wouldn't know anything about that, my club are in SL. :)

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#32 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

i agree with one or two others, the rfl should move lock stock and barrel to the george, the spiritual home of TGG.......
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#33 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

The Rugby League museum which is located in the George Hotel is nothing to do with the RFL so I think the likelihood of them wanting to get involved in anything to do with this is zero. They proved how much they value the sport's history in 1995 when the centenary passed virtually unnoticed.

Some time ago (four years or so) each club was asked by the RFL to nominate a Heritage Officer and I took on the role for Barrow RFC. After 15 emails to the guy at Red Hall charged with coordinating all of the heritage stuff I gave up trying to contact him. I know he was receiving them because in the end I contacted somebody else at Red Hall who ensured he received them all - I was copied into their emails). I am still waiting for a reply from this very, very ignorant man (I won't name him but I would really like to!!!). As far as I am aware he is still getting paid a regular salary despite his rudeness!! And yes, I did complain to his masters but got no response :).

Historically (no pun intended) the RFL has for years ignored the game's heritage and much valuable archive stuff has been lost (especially old film footage which was kept in wet conditions for years). Tony Collins has done much to retain what little has been salvaged down the years and the museum at the George Hotel represents only a very, very small part of the sport's history. I think most of the stuff currently displayed comes from Stevo's private collection (though I am not 100% certain of this).

It sure needs keeping in one place but it needs to be built upon in larger premises. Compared to the National Soccer Museum (originally at Preston but now in Manchester) the display at Huddersfield is very small, though excellent. The soccer museum was funded largely from the National Lottery Heritage Fund so I see no reason why a similar venture for RL could not be funded the same way.

As far as I am concerned I would like to see it located at the George Hotel which (if funding was available) could perhaps be purchased and converted into a massive museum and research centre for the sport's historians. Surely the fact that RL was "born" at a meeting within the building makes the George worth saving as a building of some significance.

Edited by Keith Nutter, 02 January 2013 - 10:01 PM.

Posted Image

#34 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Don't let ths drop without us making a rel noise about this, I intend to write to mr wood tomorrow to see what his views are...will let you know if I gets reply....

#35 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

The Rugby League museum which is located in the George Hotel is nothing to do with the RFL so I think the likelihood of them wanting to get involved in anything to do with this is zero. They proved how much they value the sport's history in 1995 when the centenary passed virtually unnoticed...

Apart from dedicating a whole domestic season and World Cup to it, you mean...?
Posted Image

#36 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Apart from dedicating a whole domestic season and World Cup to it, you mean...?

Don't be daft Gavin. The whole centenary was a shambles as anybody with a modicum of interest in the sport's heritage knows only too well. The number of "planned" events which were abandoned was inexcusable as many older members of this forum will remember only too well.

Posted Image

#37 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

Don't be daft Gavin. The whole centenary was a shambles as anybody with a modicum of interest in the sport's heritage knows only too well. The number of "planned" events which were abandoned was inexcusable as many older members of this forum will remember only too well.

steady keith.... theyll be sending you off to get thi measured up for a flat cap if you carry on owd lad!
Overnighter booked for june 22nd! See ya then! :lol:

Edited by Robin Evans, 03 January 2013 - 06:49 AM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#38 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,065 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

You don't get measured for a flat cap. Any size will do as long as it covers your eyes and your ears. That may be why you didn't see the Centenary celebrations - unless of course you chose to boycott them on moral grounds. :lol:

Edited by JohnM, 03 January 2013 - 09:17 AM.

#39 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

I didn't mention morals. Im just a miserable morngy b'stard!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#40 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,137 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

You don't get measured for a flat cap. Any size will do as long as it covers your eyes and your ears. That may be why you didn't see the Centenary celebrations - unless of course you chose to boycott them on moral grounds.

I believe a lot of other stuff was planned that never happened. Torpedoed by the advent of Super League and Mo's lack of interest.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users