Photo
- - - - -

George Hotel closes - seemingly for good.

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#41 Dennis Bloodnock

Dennis Bloodnock
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

Don't let ths drop without us making a rel noise about this, I intend to write to mr wood tomorrow to see what his views are...will let you know if I gets reply....

Don't let ths drop without us making a rel noise about this, I intend to write to mr wood tomorrow to see what his views are...will let you know if I gets reply....

Well done Pie,I hope you can get some interest going,hope you can get a reply.
I hope this thread doesn't go the way of other threads with sly digs about blame or SL/CC clubs ,but it looks like it will.
I can speak Esperanto like a native.

#42 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,285 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Well done Pie,I hope you can get some interest going,hope you can get a reply.
I hope this thread doesn't go the way of other threads with sly digs about blame or SL/CC clubs ,but it looks like it will.

Not from me it won't. I'm trying to make light of references to my stance ont he other thread..... it needn't go down that route!! - we've all had our say on that methinks.So, back on topic. I actually mourn the loss of the George hotel. |The spiritual evolotion - the big bang - the chism - call it what you will, began there. There game we all love (in our own) way, what we shout and oft ARGUE about... commence in there. Sad to see it closed down and unlikely to have any further connection with the game.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#43 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

the RFL needs to sell red hall and move too media city...not the george hotel

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#44 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,629 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

My concern is that the contents of the Heritage Centre get impounded by the hotel owners or liquidators, or that they deteriorate in some way. Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of the guy who has put so much time and effort into the centre. Is he around in the winter?

#45 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,394 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

the RFL needs to sell red hall and move too media city...not the george hotel

Quite.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#46 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,280 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

do they own red hall? I thought they leased it from Leeds City Council.
if they do own it, selling it will be a major undertaking and could take years.
If they lease it they might find themselves paying the lease off, paying the cost of vacating the place, paying for the George-either buying or leasing, and paying for setting it up.

The George is in a fantastic setting, is a beautiful building, and yes there is the history, but it is perhaps the practicalities that get in the way.
By the way I sem to remember that it was David Howes who was in charge of the centeneary celbration, which IMHO wqas good in parts.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#47 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

I think the best idea is to buy the George and enlarge the museum, including a proper hall of fame at the same time. Make sure there is a bar and restaurant in there too, and a shop of course. A quick google search suggests a guide price of GBP1.4million but it may well be less now if it's not a going concern.

This sort of project is exactly what the Heritage Lottery Fund was set up for. It would be absolutely criminal if the RFL passed up on this opportunity.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#48 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,394 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

This sort of project is exactly what the Heritage Lottery Fund was set up for. It would be absolutely criminal if the RFL passed up on this opportunity.

With the best possible award with the most favourable conditions that would need the RFL needing to raise at least £700,000 (assuming £1.4m) just to buy the building.
- Severus, July 2012

#49 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,687 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

In fairness to the RFL, it has just had its government grant slashed. It also committed £1million to buying Odsal last year.

However, what it could do is get o Richard Lewis' case and see if he could co-ordinate a joint-purchase-and-use-as-HQ deal involving the RFL in partnership with other sports organisations.

Huddersfield has a proud sporting tradition and the George is a prestige building by any standards.

Edited by Wolford6, 03 January 2013 - 11:34 AM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#50 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

My concern is that the contents of the Heritage Centre get impounded by the hotel owners or liquidators, or that they deteriorate in some way.

No - impossible. AfaIaa, the exhibits are all on loan. The liquidators/administrators/whatever cannot take possession of them.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#51 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Why don't the RFL take £100k off all SL clubs tv money, and £10k off all CC Clubs allocated money and buy the Hotel? Maybe clubs like Leeds, Wigan and Warrington contribute more?

#52 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,394 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Why don't the RFL take £100k off all SL clubs tv money, and £10k off all CC Clubs allocated money and buy the Hotel? Maybe clubs like Leeds, Wigan and Warrington contribute more?

Yes, let's kill the game to buy a building.
- Severus, July 2012

#53 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Yes, let's kill the game to buy a building.

Would that kill the game?

#54 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,394 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Would that kill the game?

We're talking about clubs that are mostly borderline insolvent and incapable of paying for reserve teams/academies (etc) without coercion.

So let's take 100k off some, more off some of the others and nab 10k off the really poor ones.
- Severus, July 2012

#55 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,845 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Can I be the first to declare my official boycott of the new RFL Hotel?

On moral grounds.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#56 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

We're talking about clubs that are mostly borderline insolvent and incapable of paying for reserve teams/academies (etc) without coercion.

So let's take 100k off some, more off some of the others and nab 10k off the really poor ones.

Bit this is for the good of the game. Surely fans and clubs would support it?

#57 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,845 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

I 'support' free food for the poor; not sure I'd give the earnings I need to feed myself to achieve it though.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#58 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I 'support' free food for the poor; not sure I'd give the earnings I need to feed myself to achieve it though.

Do you would only support it properly when it suites you?

#59 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,394 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

How is it for the good of the game?

The success or otherwise of rugby league in 2013 doesn't depend on the George Hotel even being open let alone being a liability on the RFL balance sheet.
- Severus, July 2012

#60 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

double post.

Edited by a.n Other, 03 January 2013 - 12:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users