Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

George Hotel closes - seemingly for good.

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#61 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

How is it for the good of the game?

The success or otherwise of rugby league in 2013 doesn't depend on the George Hotel even being open let alone being a liability on the RFL balance sheet.

Think of the bad publicity that RL will get if it's aloud to close.

#62 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Think of the bad publicity that RL will get if it's aloud to close.

It won't do rugby league any damage at all.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#63 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Bit this is for the good of the game. Surely fans and clubs would support it?

Whilst I appreciate that the closure of the hotel may have created an opportunity to revisit the whole issue of the Heritage Centre, it maybe that the people who have done a sterling job in running the Centre for so may years may well have trodden that path already. Maybe we should wait to hear from them.

#64 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Do you would only support it properly when it suites you?

¿Qué?

Yes, I would only lend financial support if I:

a. Had the means (the clubs don't); and

b. Had any guarantee of getting anything back (the clubs don't).

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#65 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

With the best possible award with the most favourable conditions that would need the RFL needing to raise at least £700,000 (assuming £1.4m) just to buy the building.

The HLF website says they fund projects up to GBP5million.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#66 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

The HLF website says they fund projects up to GBP5million.

They do. But you are highly unlikely to get 100% funding from them. Best case is often 75% and more usual is 50%.
- Severus, July 2012

#67 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

So.....the RFL are now responsible for our economy now? I knew it!

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#68 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

We're talking about clubs that are mostly borderline insolvent and incapable of paying for reserve teams/academies (etc) without coercion.

So let's take 100k off some, more off some of the others and nab 10k off the really poor ones.

Well, of course, that presupposes that the money would come out of the clubs' budget and that the RFL would make no savings by not paying the rent at Red Hall.

Seems a bit unlikely to me but I agree that we don't have enough information to decide whether it's financially a good deal or not.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#69 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

How on Earth did the George Hotel get a 3 year license?

Questions need to be asked, and heads must surely roll at the RFL for the downfall of this hotel that has got absolutely nothing to do with them.

I'm OUTRAGED!
Posted Image

#70 Dennis Bloodnock

Dennis Bloodnock
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

How on Earth did the George Hotel get a 3 year license?

Questions need to be asked, and heads must surely roll at the RFL for the downfall of this hotel that has got absolutely nothing to do with them.

I'm OUTRAGED!

And so it begins,well done.
I can speak Esperanto like a native.

#71 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Well, of course, that presupposes that the money would come out of the clubs' budget and that the RFL would make no savings by not paying the rent at Red Hall.

Seems a bit unlikely to me but I agree that we don't have enough information to decide whether it's financially a good deal or not.

They may save money - they may not, I agree we can't know - but they take on more responsibilities and let's assume that right now the George is not fit for purpose as anything other than a hotel. It's not a headquarters/office quite yet and will require work to make it so. More cost, more time.

As for the budget there really is only a finite amount of money in the game and little of it is available to spend on whatever takes the RFL's fancy. Taking money off the clubs really would impact them in a seriously negative way.
- Severus, July 2012

#72 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Personally, I don't think it'll be a goer but who knows what grants/savings/revenue streams might be available ?

#73 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

¿Qué?

Yes, I would only lend financial support if I:

a. Had the means (the clubs don't); and

b. Had any guarantee of getting anything back (the clubs don't).

So you would only contribute towards something if you got something back in return? Shocking.

#74 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

So you would only contribute towards something if you got something back in return? Shocking.

Sounds like perfect business sense to me.
Posted Image

#75 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

The George Hotel will open again, it's too prestigious a building, in too important a place to stay closes for long

The company that owned and ran it were rubbish, pricing themselves out of the local market (I don't think they realised how much local competition there is) and didnt provide the service they claimed.

It would be superb for the RFL to take over it, but that's too impractical. I'd expect one of the "big" chains to take over after purchasing it for a song

#76 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

So the RFL can step in here while my local B&B goes to the wall? Its a disgrace.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#77 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

So the RFL can step in here while my local B&B goes to the wall? Its a disgrace.

its immoral and unfair
I blame Wood.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#78 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

It'll be a shame if the contents of the Heritage Centre are merely packed-up into boxes and put into storage until they are forgotten about.
There are families who have donated their ancestors artefacts to the museum, so I hope these are either looked after appropriately or returned back until another home is found.
Unfortunatley, the museum won't be anywhere near the top of an administrators list of tasks.
The RFL now needs to assign some importance to the heritage of the game, as they've had volunteers and virtually zero expenditure on this up till now.
However, with everything else thats going on, and cuts to budgets I can't for 1 minute see it happening.

#79 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Never been there but it has appeared to have shaky foundations for years, is it backed by Rugby League in England or just a private enterprise?
If the RFL do not consider it to be significant then I guess that is it.

#80 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

It'll be a shame if the contents of the Heritage Centre are merely packed-up into boxes and put into storage until they are forgotten about.
There are families who have donated their ancestors artefacts to the museum.....

Have they ? I thought they were just on loan.

Personally, I'd never pass on ownership. To whom ? What if they decided to auction it and spend the money on beer ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users