RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

George Hotel closes - seemingly for good.

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#101 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,152 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

With the Catalans and London and maybe soon Toulouse coming oop north every week, plus occasional WCC clubs and four nations and World Cup teams, plus maybe Soccer teams from all over he country coming to Leeds, Bradford and Huddersfield itself,not to mention supporters groups, maybe there is a ready made clientel for any hotel operation if the RFL were to obtain the building and market the facilities to the sports world, as well as any existing customers.

Convert some of the floors to offices to get a steady income flow from rentals.

Upgrade and expand the heritage museum and advertise that a bit and maybe it could be a lucrative proposition.

Its right next to Huddersfield Railway station too and Huddersfield is in a central position in the north of England and so its well located.

I have no idea if that is feasible or just fantasy, but the thought did occur to me so I just posted it for a talking point.

#102 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,703 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Don't worry dear, Im quite relaxed. But you are really boring.This, and the other quoted posts in my previous thread border on trolling. There's just no need.

Not really when some people are trying to pin this on the RFL as another failure or that it's their fault somehow. In fact the parallels are very similar to blaming them for Blackpool etc going under.

+1
I hate to think part of RL's heritage could be lost but can imagine the outcry from the luddites if the RFL bought the George Hotel.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 03 January 2013 - 07:08 PM.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

#103 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Not really when some people are trying to pin this on the RFL as another failure or that it's their fault somehow.

Who? Where?

Buy the official Rovers 2013 Yearbook, out now!!!  ;)

http://feathers.rlstore.co.uk/product/2013YEARBOOK

#104 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

+1
I hate to think part of RL's heritage could be lost but can imagine the outcry from the luddites if the RFL bought the George Hotel.

There are parts of this thread reads like a hangover from another acrimonious closed thread. Too much 'luddite' flatcap naming calling. You can 'imagine the outcry' but why not wait for some before getting your jibes in, chortle, chortle? If we all just stick to the point and we'll all do better.

#105 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,703 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

There are parts of this thread reads like a hangover from another acrimonious closed thread. Too much 'luddite' flatcap naming calling. You can 'imagine the outcry' but why not wait for some before getting your jibes in, chortle, chortle? If we all just stick to the point and we'll all do better.

You seem to think it's personal,it isn't, I'm stating some people won't be happy if the RFL actually saved some of it's heritage.Calm down.

#106 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

You seem to think it's personal,it isn't, I'm stating some people won't be happy if the RFL actually saved some of it's heritage.Calm down.

It's not at all personal. It's just utterly boring. Calm down.

#107 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,703 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

My attempt at humour has failed.I shall hang my head in shame.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 03 January 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#108 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,162 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

you forgot the "dear". :D What is wrong with challenging the basis of peoples opinions, especially when they claim to have based them on some specious premis.

#109 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

you forgot the "dear". :D What is wrong with challenging the basis of peoples opinions, especially when they claim to have based them on some specious premis.

nowt whatsoever. But you did that on another thread. To continue it in yhe same vein on another totally unrelated thread could come across mark suggests.
However, you choice is to post as you choose. C'est la vie.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#110 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

you forgot the "dear". :D

;) TWIG ended his post to me thus, and I assumed that some kind of trend was about to start, so I hardly wanted to be seen missing out..

What is wrong with challenging the basis of peoples opinions, especially when they claim to have based them on some specious premis.

Nothing whatsoever as I am sure you well know. Indeed, the content of many half-decent fora seem to be based around this idea.

However, with specific regard to this ######-for-tat SL club fans v Champ club fans squabble (both sides equally guilty and high-handed) which has pervaded a whole bunch of threads recently, it just happens that new depths of tedium have been plummeted on this particular thread (imho of course).

Hence my posts.

Calm down.

#111 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,703 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Dear.

#112 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

######-for-tat

Oh good grief. :D

Insert a three letter word here to form a phrase that means equivalent retaliation. It's also a variety of bird species. Oh and shockingly, a slang word for a woman's breast which is why no-one is allowed to see it..

#113 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,693 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

I think the George Hotel is wonderful building in a very attractive square (with a great statue of a great man to boot!) handy for the railway, within ten minutes walk of the stadium (whatever it's called now) In an ideal world the RFL should jump at the chance, buy it and turn it into RL HQ, Heritage Centre and all the rest. Just one question, where'sthe money going to come from?
I believe Red Hall is leased on a peppercorn rent from Leeds Met. In September 2011, on the weekend when places normally closed are open to the public, I visited Red Hall, TBH with a little thought I don't see why it couldn't be the Heritage Centre, with Stevo's exhibits and those from the ill fated Hall of Fame, plus all the various current and non current trophies.
BTW just to clear up a point, the two Davids, Oxley and Howes, were gone in 1995. They may have set up the centenary events but Mo and IIRC Harry Gration were then in charge.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#114 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,538 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

The George Hotel will open again, it's too prestigious a building, in too important a place to stay closes for long

The company that owned and ran it were rubbish, pricing themselves out of the local market (I don't think they realised how much local competition there is) and didnt provide the service they claimed.

It would be superb for the RFL to take over it, but that's too impractical. I'd expect one of the "big" chains to take over after purchasing it for a song

Hmmm are you sure. A number of companies, each with no little commercial nous, have tried and failed to make a going concern of it over the years, hence its recent closure. Hotels, like pubs, are very difficult to make money out of nowadays and they require regular investment to maintain their quality. I don't think that anyone will be rushing to buy this.

(Nor do I think the RFL should touch it with a barge pole.)
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#115 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

It is a pity that this thread has gone off track a couple of times but maybe we should all look at how we can preserve our heritage.
In an earlier post I gave details of my experiences with regard to this subject and the RFL. I also admonished the RFL administrators of almost twenty years ago who (whatever anybody thinks) made a cods of our centenary celebrations.
HOWEVER that is water under the bridge now and maybe somebody of some standing could pull all our heritage stuff together.
Stevo is massively interested in it all (as are all the other people involved currently at the George). Maybe they, along with the likes of Tony Collins and possibly Martyn Sadler, could spearhead a group to look at various options with regard to an all-encompassing heritage centre.
The current displays are superb but do not cover the entire sport by any means. There are many magnificent private collections out there which if all located in a single place would form a superb museam/heritage centre which could be built on year by year.
It certainly would be nice to fill the George with it all but not essential.
The Soccer museum at Preston was a new building and was centred around one man's private collection (I can't remember his name). This was controversially moved to Manchester in the last year or so and is a major tourist attraction in that City.
Maybe Manchester would be interested in housing a RL collection of similar quality?
I have to admit to being a bit obsessive with my collecting as I won't throw anything whatsover out if there is a RL connection. This has been going on for fifty years now so I am unlikely to stop LOL.
The only club I know with a proper museum type display area is Widnes and I had the pleasure of a tour of that by Deb who runs it. Other clubs have trophy areas, etc and some have bits of displays such as Hall of Fames etc.
Imagine if all this could be replicated in one building - it would be superb for sure.
I think I mentioned earlier that the Lottery Heritage Fund looks the most likely source of funding for such a venture and they down the years have given massive financial backing to some far less deserving ventures. Just a though (or maybe a dream :)).

PS: For once I don't think this is the RFLs responsibility as they have far bigger fish to fry. No reason why some "ordinary people" can't do it though.

Edited by Keith Nutter, 03 January 2013 - 08:15 PM.

Posted Image

#116 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

steady keith.... theyll be sending you off to get thi measured up for a flat cap if you carry on owd lad!
Overnighter booked for june 22nd! See ya then! :lol:

That sounds like a good excuse for a "P" Up to me Robin. How many of you are coming over - we can sort a "social" event if you like.

PS: Will you need me to sign your entry visa for god's country Robin :)

Posted Image

#117 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

We're just so glad to have the barrow jolly up back on the agenda keith. I reckon 30 or so of the brethren will be staying on the Saturday night!
I can see a gathering of minds up there! :lol:
God's own county my botty!! :lol: :lol:

Looking forrad to seeong you at our gaff in February first owd lad!

See ya soon.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#118 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

It is a pity that this thread has gone off track a couple of times but maybe we should all look at how we can preserve our heritage.
In an earlier post I gave details of my experiences with regard to this subject and the RFL. I also admonished the RFL administrators of almost twenty years ago who (whatever anybody thinks) made a cods of our centenary celebrations.
HOWEVER that is water under the bridge now and maybe somebody of some standing could pull all our heritage stuff together.
Stevo is massively interested in it all (as are all the other people involved currently at the George). Maybe they, along with the likes of Tony Collins and possibly Martyn Sadler, could spearhead a group to look at various options with regard to an all-encompassing heritage centre.
The current displays are superb but do not cover the entire sport by any means. There are many magnificent private collections out there which if all located in a single place would form a superb museam/heritage centre which could be built on year by year.
It certainly would be nice to fill the George with it all but not essential.
The Soccer museum at Preston was a new building and was centred around one man's private collection (I can't remember his name). This was controversially moved to Manchester in the last year or so and is a major tourist attraction in that City.
Maybe Manchester would be interested in housing a RL collection of similar quality?
I have to admit to being a bit obsessive with my collecting as I won't throw anything whatsover out if there is a RL connection. This has been going on for fifty years now so I am unlikely to stop LOL.
The only club I know with a proper museum type display area is Widnes and I had the pleasure of a tour of that by Deb who runs it. Other clubs have trophy areas, etc and some have bits of displays such as Hall of Fames etc.
Imagine if all this could be replicated in one building - it would be superb for sure.
I think I mentioned earlier that the Lottery Heritage Fund looks the most likely source of funding for such a venture and they down the years have given massive financial backing to some far less deserving ventures. Just a though (or maybe a dream :)).

PS: For once I don't think this is the RFLs responsibility as they have far bigger fish to fry. No reason why some "ordinary people" can't do it though.

Good post Keith.
What the RFL need to ensure if the hotel does not trade again is that :
i) any collections of memorabilia that were on temporary loan are suitably identified and looked after
ii) that they recognise that here is an opportunity to have an input into the games heritage, and that does not mean buying the chuffin' hotel BTW. The sport has had a small museum looked after for nowt by volunteers such as Sam Morton and Trevor Fosters son, without them having to raise a finger. Its perhaps time to put together a plan for a larger, permanent heritage centre/museum. And yes ask fans and such as Tony Collins for input and yes ask for volunteers to help.
The RFL have a lot on their plates at the moment, but here is an opportunity to do something concrete.

Edited by shaun mc, 03 January 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#119 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

The Soccer museum at Preston was a new building ........

If you can call an extension to Deepdale a new building ........

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#120 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Good post Keith.
What the RFL need to ensure if the hotel does not trade again is that :
i) any collections of memorabilia that were on temporary loan are suitably identified and looked after
ii) that they recognise that here is an opportunity to have an input into the games heritage, and that does not mean buying the chuffin' hotel BTW. The sport has had a small museum looked after for nowt by volunteers such as Sam Morton and Trevor Fosters son, without them having to raise a finger. Its perhaps time to put together a plan for a larger, permanent heritage centre/museum. And yes ask fans and such as Tony Collins for input and yes ask for volunteers to help.
The RFL have a lot on their plates at the moment, but here is an opportunity to do something concrete.

On point 1 - I don;t think this has anything to do with the RFL - this was a private collection as far as I'm aware.

What I think the RFL should be doing, is getting a collection of stuff for the World Cup and other major events and have a touring museum. If we are serious about getting new fans to the games, from London, Cardiff, Ireland and beyond, let's show them the magnificent history that our game has - I suspect that many would be surprised and impressed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users